Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

newbie question on types of hay

wolfie

Cavy Slave
We adopted two guinea pigs about 2 months ago. The only hay they have been getting is the packaged Oxbow western timothy. I am about to place my first order for timothy hay from Kleenmama's hayloft. I know that guineas need variety in their vegetables, but what about hay? Should I include a small order of a different type of hay? Any recommendations? Thanks, Wolfie

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
They don't need variety with their hay as long as it's a quality grass hay.

You can order some different kinds just to shake things up but as far as nutrition and health value one grass hay is pretty much as good as another.

BTW, I hearn from Kleenmama that her latest bluegrass batch is supposed to be even better then normal and that's saying ALOT! Her normal blugrass is superb. I can't imagine the piggie crack that her new batch is.

wolfie

Cavy Slave
I'll be sure to add some bluegrass to my order. Thanks, Wolfie

wolfie

Cavy Slave
Our first order of KM's hay arrived last night. It looks and smells heavenly! I put a small sample of bluegrass out for the boys, but they did not seem to like it. This morning I added some KM's timothy to their Oxbow timothy(from store bought bag). They have been nibbling at hay on and off all day, but it seems as if they are pulling out the old and leaving the new high quality hay! (They do have a tendency to dump their hay, so maybe they just won't dump the good stuff!). Any ideas or advice? Thanks, Wolfie

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Leave the bluegrass in there for a few days. It'll probably take them a few days to try it. Guinea pigs can't through up, because of this they only nibble on something and then see if they get sick. If they don't get sick they'll try some more, ect. Eventually when they don't die they'll eat it.

wolfie

Cavy Slave
Thanks! We are due to leave on vacation with the boys on Saturday. I have already packed a nice big box of KM's hay to go. Now I'm worried that they won't eat enough hay since it's new. Do you think I should take along some store bought Oxbow, just to make sure they get enough hay? Wolfie

PS- What a shame the same doesn' t hold for kids and getting them to try new foods!

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
I'd bring some Oxbow too just in case. You never know how long it will take! I know I remember trying to get my 10 year old brother in law to eat my cooking when I was babysitting. He just refused. We had PB&J for dinner. lol

wolfie

Cavy Slave
Thanks Piggie Mom- I'll take some Oxbow with me. Although I think I've been had- I set a tray of the new hay down but they weren' leaving their hideys . So I offered each boy a strand -hand delivered to their mouth- in their hideys. Don't you know they ate it up! Then as soon as I turned my back our big guy was in the tray chowing down. Now I just need to worroy about Little Alex. I think these boys are spoiled! (Justifiably so of course!)

PS- At least PB and J is easy to make and clean up!

CavyKid17044

Cavy Slave
Is the oxbow orchard grass what your supposed to give piggies? Or is the western timothy what they're supposed to have? Thanks.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
They can have either. They're both good. You can also get bluegrass hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.