Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Mites from hay?

jerbear

Cavy Slave
I bought some hay from Ebay for a great price. Is there a possibility that the pigs got mites from the hay? Has anyone else used this hay? Should I throw it out to be on the safe side?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
There are hay mites but most of the mites that pigs get lay dormant in a guinea pig and come out in times of stress or illness.

I would keep the hay but treat your guinea pig for the mites with ivermectin. You will need to dose 3 times about 7 days apart. For instructions on how to dose yourself please see- Guinea Lynx :: Mange Mites and Guinea Lynx :: Ivermectin.

jerbear

Cavy Slave
Thank you for the information. I had run across that today and do plan to call my vet tomorrow. Are all vets cavy savvy? Sure hope mine is.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
You need to ask the vet if he treats exotics, then double check he knows what hes doing with guinea pigs. Not all dog/cat vets treat exotics.

jerbear

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

Is this stuff garbage?

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Complete garbage. First of all it's a spray, which you can not dose correctly and runs the risk of the pigs inhaling some of it. You need to treat them with Ivermectin.

jerbear

Cavy Slave
Any idea how much this costs?

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
You can buy it online, have the vet do it, or buy it at a farm store. Mine costed $13, which was a discounted price from my aunt's vet office where she works. That treated 5 pigs, with some left over.

jerbear

Cavy Slave
Don't you need a prescription for it?

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Nope. You can get it yourself.

bazil5
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
My guinea pig gots mites from its hay.
How do you know the mites came from the hay? And to be honest, I don't trust vets who would put some gel on a guinea pig to treat mites.

muffin

Cavy Slave
This thread is what I wanted to ask about. I had noticed more shedding than normal on the lower back of one of my piggies, above her grease gland, with quite heavy dandruff. I took them both to the vet and he combed some of the dandruff out and looked at it under the microscope. he said it was eggs of Cheyletiella parasitivorax
--- also known as "Walking Dandruff" see Guinea Lynx :: Fur Mites. Anyway, he gave ivomec by injection, (he wouldn't do it any other way, but he's very knowledgable so I trust his opinion) to be repeated 2 weeks later, with the cage being disinfected in 7 days' time. He reckoned that they came in on the new batch of hay that we just started, which I am so pissed about since it's a 50lb box of Oxbow timothy. I can't risk assuming it was the last of the old box that was to blame, sine if I keep using the new stuff, even discarding the top few inches, there's the risk of further problems. At the same time the new bag I bought might also have mites, just through bad luck. It's impossible to be sure what caused the problem, but the new hay, which they've had for a few days seems probable. He also gave me shampoo to lift the dandruff off the skin, 50.00 x Seleen, which is applied to dampened fur on their back, left for 5-10mins and then rinsed off.

GL recommends ivermectin for these kind of mites and mange mites, so I wouldn't necessarily assume that the gel your vet used cured the problem. Do you know what the gel was?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Ivermectin can be bought OTC at most feed and grain stores/farm supply stores. It usually costs about $40 for a bottle (enough to treat about 1000 GPs). You need to get the 1% injectable cattle and swine kind.

You will also need to get 1cc/ml syringes. If you know someone who is diabetic get a needle or two from them. The needles they usualy sell OTC in feed stores are 3ml and a bit too big to dose accurately.

Once you have the supplies treating them is easy if you use the GL guidelines.

muffin

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't feel happy injecting them, I wouldn't know how or where to do it properly. I'll let my vet do it to be safe and prevent unnecessary pain or suffering to my piggies.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
You don't inject them. The injectable is applied topically. You just need the syringe to dose the ivec. I take the needle off once I draw out the correct dose, and apply it to the natural bald spots behind the ears.

muffin

Cavy Slave
Oh, ok. That makes more sense.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.