Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

building cage

guineapet

Cavy Slave
well i'm building a cage that is 6 feet and teh width is 2 feet do you think it's enough....i cant find a place where they sell guinea pig cage ......and i was going to use my old hamster cage but then i'm afraid it too small for the guinea pig i'm going to adopt....the only problem is have any one build a cage before.....what do you use to make the door and how high should the ......fense...? be....my friend tell me just to use my old aqaurium as a cage, i use to rasie guppy...wait i still do but in a smaller tank 10 gallon.....so yeah but i don't think it would be neccesary to use an aqaurium as a cage....

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
See the home page- https://www.guineapigcages.com for building a proper cage. Do not use an aquarium, they are too small and not enough ventilation.

Also guinea pigs are social creatures and if you are going to adopt, please adopt 2 so that they will have company of their own kind. Building a cage for two out of cubes and coroplast is just as easy as making a cage for one.

guineapet

Cavy Slave
See the home page- www.guineapigcages.com for building a proper cage. Do not use an aquarium, they are too small and not enough ventilation.

Also guinea pigs are social creatures and if you are going to adopt, please adopt 2 so that they will have company of their own kind. Building a cage for two out of cubes and coroplast is just as easy as making a cage for one.

Thanks! I'm not using the aquarium, becuase I know it's too small, I will try my best to adopt 2, I can't find a place to adopt guinea pig anywhere near my area, but i'm looking for it :)

evilnumberlady

Cavy Slave
I can't find a place to adopt guinea pig anywhere near my area, but i'm looking for it

What city do you live in? The people here might be able to help you find some for adoption

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to say it's great that you're doing so much research before getting your piggies. You'll be perfectly prepared for when you adopt.

guineapet

Cavy Slave
To evilnumberlady- I live in Oklahoma, thanks evilnumberlady, I will try to find an guinea pig to adopt that i can afford.

To fourbwabbys- thanks fourbwabbys, I want to make my first piggy to feel comfortable, stay healthy, and happy. I don't want to be a cruel owner :)

janetangel

Cavy Slave
Hi guineapet,

I had the same problem when I first was searching for piggies. I was going to take a day trip to a city about 2 hours from me to adopt two same sexed piggies (so they do not breed). Someone else on this site found some at a local shelter. There were two girls there so I went and adopted them for 5.00 each along with free vet visit. Now I have 4 girls. I adopted two more from someone who needed to rehome. She was in a position with going through a divorce and could not afford as many animals as she had.
I built a smaller C&C cage at first, 2x5. Now it is 3x6 and two levels. I have been having a great time doing it. I got my cage ideas from others on this site. I still use the photos for new ideas.
Good luck and I think when you get started building your cage you will have a great time.

evilnumberlady

Cavy Slave
Doesn't seem like petfinder has anything directly in OK, but maybe if you live close to Texas or Kansas, this might still be helpful:

(broken link removed)

guineapet

Cavy Slave
To janetangel0 really, good for you! :) I found one near my area, but they won't just let me adopt teh hamster, they make me adopt the whole thing, that included cage, food, supply, and guinea pig, and it cost 100$ I can't afford it :sad:

To evilnumberlady- thanks evilnumberlady, but I don't live near the border, and I don't think my parent would let me go there, but I will ask them Thanks again :) but don't worry I will keep on searching and stay away from the pet shop no matter what!

evilnumberlady

Cavy Slave
Here's a kind of old posting for a single male, but since it's still up maybe they still need to rehome him:

(broken link removed)

and if you do a search by oklahoma on this page, you'll see and ad for two young girls:
(broken link removed)

guineapet

Cavy Slave
Here's a kind of old posting for a single male, but since it's still up maybe they still need to rehome him:

(broken link removed)

and if you do a search by oklahoma on this page, you'll see and ad for two young girls:
(broken link removed)

thank you so much!:) I gotta adopt the male, but it's the only one should I adopt the 2 girl?

evilnumberlady

Cavy Slave
guineapet, unless you can afford to get the male neutered, getting all 3 is a bad idea.

I would recommend either getting the two girls, or getting the male and waiting to add a second one until you can find another male he might get along with. (a very young male with an older male tends to work best, I hear). Of course, if you can get the male neutered and have the room and resources for three, then that is ok. Keep mind they would have to be kept in separate cages before and for awhile after the surgery

Personally, I'd just get the two girls, because introductions can be a huge hassle for a first-time owner.

guineapet

Cavy Slave
guineapet, unless you can afford to get the male neutered, getting all 3 is a bad idea.

I would recommend either getting the two girls, or getting the male and waiting to add a second one until you can find another male he might get along with. (a very young male with an older male tends to work best, I hear). Of course, if you can get the male neutered and have the room and resources for three, then that is ok. Keep mind they would have to be kept in separate cages before and for awhile after the surgery

Personally, I'd just get the two girls, because introductions can be a huge hassle for a first-time owner.

thanks, actually I'm thinking about adopting the boy, but i need to know more about him, I'm emailing the owner for more information, I don't see any photo and I need to know more about him so when i adopt him i know more about him, then I will adopt another male later on. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.