Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Grass floor and level in cage, what do you think?

Fluffball

Cavy Slave
Hi all,

My partner came up with this idea and I have my alternate idea for it. Basically we have an interchangable second level that has grass in it. Instead of fleece the floor is made entirely of grass. This way the pigs can graze, but its able to be taken and lifted out with ease.

First we build the floor out of grids, cable tied and connected, so you end up with the basic floor no walls, this is connected to the cage. Then we build the second level, this at first is not connected yet. We build a grid box, this is cable tied and and this makes the weight of the grass easy to carry. We place this grid box on top of the grid floor and connect it all up. We then made a coroplast box. Add soil and grass. We wait til this all grows and then place the coroplast box with grass inside into the grid box.

We have another three coroplast boxes growing grass. When we want to change the grass, we simply take and lift up the grid box, the grid box takes all the weight of the soil. Then we take out the coroplast, replace it with a new grass box and connect it all up again.

I had the alternative idea of just having a second level but with a small coroplast box in the cage with a wall divider and small opening. Half would be fleece and half would be grass flooring but its scored so you can replace it or remove it without having to lift up an entire second level grid box.

Sorry if its hard to understand. Also the grass wont always be in there, only for a few hours a day since I realise hay is more important. Its just bringing the outside in. What do you think?

Sviega

Cavy Slave
I think it sounds good on paper but you are going to give up on it quickly.

Why don't you try it with a baking pan of grass growing first so you can work out any problems

Bellebelle

Cavy Slave
It sounds great! Grass is simple to grow, even here in the dry land of Oz, with a bit of a water it'll spring up in a few days, as long as the roots remain it'll continually grow back.

The only problem i can see is as the pigs eat it down they may get a bit dirty, I know that if I let Jupey on the lawn long enough he'd happily cover himself in dirt.

Emma

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.