Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Evening from Saint Louis, Missouri

BeckyT

Cavy Slave
I'm new to this forum, but not new to guinea pigs. My name is Becky, and I'm the mom to 3 humans (husband included :D ) 2 rats, 1 ferret (who lives in a C & C cage) 1 hamster, 1 incredibly fat cat, and 11 guinea pigs. My in-laws have 4 guinea pigs that I take care of, and I'm about to drive along with my friend, a fellow guinea pig owner to Northern Illinois to get another guinea pig, rounds me out to an even dozen. ❤️

HandcuffedAngel

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the boards! :D

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Do you have any pigtures of your piggies?

JennG

Cavy Slave
Wow! That's alot of piggies! Welcome to the forum. I actually live in the capitol city of IL. I'm a mom of 10 kids-1 hubby, 3 human kids, 5 girly piggies and our newest addition, Pepper, our lab/chow mix dog. I'm sure you'll learn alot from here. Are you adopting from Rose? Do you have all the same sex of piggies? And how big is your cage? Just curious.

MetallichicA

Cavy Slave
Welcome! I miss St. Louis... lived in Belleville, IL for about 3 years and really enjoyed my time there. Of course, I'm a Midwesterner to begin with, but St. Louis really does have some cool stuff :D

BeckyT

Cavy Slave
Thank you, no I am adopting from a lady named Tanya. I have 9 females, 2 males. Most of my pigs were rescues, or rather a single rescue who had two litters on me! I do have lots of pigtures of my piggies and I'm planning on making a website just for piggy pictures, but that requires more effort than I've got right now. :)

BeckyT

Cavy Slave
JennG said:
And how big is your cage? Just curious.

A three level 2x5, but the top level is a 2x4.

JennG

Cavy Slave
I don't mean to criticize but is that enough room for everyone? If you have your boys in the 2x4 and the girls are split up into the 2x5s, that doesn't seem like alot of room for the girls. I'm assuming your boys aren't with your girls. :) Well, now that I think of it....If you have 5 girls in one 2x5 and the other 4 girls in the 2x5, I think that's the minimum recommendations. Hmm? You'll have to excuse me. My brain's not working today.
I adopted three girls last year from the Humane Society and one of my girls was preggers, too. Unfortunately, she had only one little girl who did not survive.

Anyways, we LOVE pigtures! Can't wait to see your piggies.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Welcome. I too have 11 GP's. 7 guys 4 girls. You will love this site. Best there is for the care of GP's.

BeckyT

Cavy Slave
JennG said:
I don't mean to criticize but is that enough room for everyone?

No its okay. I'm sure I did the math wrong when I built the cage. But now that you brought it up I redid the math and I think I'm two feet shy but that is easily remedied by adding another row to the bottom level creating something resembling a lopsided birthday cake of a cage. The bottom level would be a 3x5, the middle level a 2x5 and the top level a 2x4. That would give me 25 sq ft for the girls. :)

Thanks for the head's up.

JennG

Cavy Slave
No problem. I've had up to eight girls and trying to figure out the exact amount of space for them was quite confusing. I've since redone my cage because I'm down to five but I'm so bad at math.

BeckyT

Cavy Slave
No problem. I've had up to eight girls and trying to figure out the exact amount of space for them was quite confusing. I've since redone my cage because I'm down to five but I'm so bad at math.

I'm terrible at math, but ask me something about literature or history and I'm pretty knowledgable. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.