PDA

View Full Version : Zip-Tie Strength

Birdeye723
07-29-06, 11:49 pm
I was wondering what people's experience is with the strength of a zip tie?? I want to make some cages with just zip-ties and I am wondering if it would be sturdy enough?

1st Cage
2 x 7 with a 2 x 4 on one side as a turn with more space
2 cube high stands with extra cubes for reinforcement to help the cage stand more sturdy, also will have storage space within these cubes

2nd Cage
2 x 8 with a 2 x 4 on one side as a turn with more space
2 cube high stands with extra cubes for reinforcement to help the cage sand more sturdy, also will have storage space within these cubes

HarrysDad
07-30-06, 07:12 am
If you mean the plastic cable ties they come in various sides and some are very strong indeed. It is also possible to wrap the tie around the panels twice before putting the end through the eyelit to tighten it up. If the ties you think look the sturdiest based on width are too long just remember you will be cutting them off after you have them in place.

WEAVER
07-30-06, 08:34 am
Are you talking about having the cages two grids high stands than the cage on top and holding that all together with zip ties??? I am confused...

I think if you were to have a cage one level you could easily keep it together with only zip ties. If you are looking at stacking levels at all you need the connectors and than zip ties to help keep the cage sturdy and the base strong.

Birdeye723
07-30-06, 08:12 pm
2 grids high for the stands/storage space and then the cage on top of that and the cage only being 1 grid high (tell me if you're still confused and I can get some pictures of what I mean). Sorry :). So, if I were to have the stands with connectors and zip-ties and then the cages with just zip-ties, would this mess up the whole thing too much (size wise, sturdiness, lining the grids toegther?)?

Thanks for your responses, I can't wait to get all of this done.

PiggieMom
07-30-06, 09:46 pm
I've done a whole cage with zip ties before. Mine worked out well, I used the very heavy duty ones. I don't trust the thin ones.

Birdeye723
07-30-06, 09:48 pm
That's great to hear, yeah I wouldn't trust the thin ones either. So do you think it will also be fine to just have zip ties for the 2 grid high stands/storage?

PiggieMom
07-30-06, 11:00 pm
As long as you use a decent amount, I would say yes. When I rebuild my new cage I switched to connectors plus zip ties for sturdying it (simply because the connectors makes the cage a little bigger). But I had a multi-level 3x3 for a month with mostly only zip ties, I even had a TV on top of one of the levels and it stayed sturdy.

Birdeye723
07-30-06, 11:05 pm
Ok, thanks so much for your help. I've had to learn how to adjust to certain needs as I have 11 guinea pigs at the moment split into 4 groups, now I can go through with the zip-ties, and it works out great. Thanks again, I've also got a couple of bins full of toys for the piggies that I will be putting near the grids or at least in the position where they can help keep it sturdy. :)