Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Putting older cavies together

earlthek

Cavy Slave
❤️ Hi there! I am the proud grandfather (yes, grandfather) of Tina, Oreo, Jasper & Bambi...two female (Oreo & Tina) and two male (Bambi & Jasper) cavies! My profile tells more about them and me as well. I have a question, though:

All of my cavies are around 3 years old, except for one that's about six months old. My question is: since they have been housed individually (in the same room but individual cages), would it be safe for them to try to put the females together and the males together? They are used to having their own cages, but for playtime would it be OK to put them together?

Any response is appreciated, and you can e-mail me as well: [email protected]. Thanks and have fun with your piggies!

Welcome to the forum! As for introducing the older pigs to eachother, I think it's a great idea. Do it during floortime in a nuetral place. Because they have been used to living alone, they may not get along, but they may also end up liking eachother quite a bit, in which case you may want to house them together. Good luck!

Here's a good link for information on the social life of guinea pigs: (broken link removed)

Welcome to the forum. Building a C&C cage will help them all get along if you haven't already. The more room the better.

Most guinea pigs do well with full time companionship, at any age, even if they have not lived with a partner before. I introduced three girls, 2-3 years old together, 2 of which had never even seen a pig before! It all went fine!

I would not put them down for floor time, then put them back alone, over and over again. Intros are stressful for them. They don't really like "play dates" as by the time the play date is over, they have usually just decided who is in charge! The next time they "play" this fight has to be figured out all over again!

So, I would try to see about getting them to live together as cage mates. There is a right way and wrong way to do this. I would suggest making sure you have nice large cages for them, two 2x4 C&C cages would be best, (you can condo them, stacking one on top of the other.) The boys may need a 2x5, but may do fine in a 2x3.

2x3 or 7.5 square feet is the absolute minimum space you should try. More is better.

But, do NOT put them into eachothers cage. They will NOT like that. Do a proper floor time intro, with lots of veggies and hay and hidey houses as a distraction. If all goes well, then you could try moving them into a new cage, or very well cleaned out cage together.

The boys may find it hard being together if they know that girls are around, but many many boar pairs get along just fine with sows in the same room.

Please look over the link on social life. It will better explain how to go about this.

Welcome to the forum!

Please build appropriate C&C cages for them and then do neutral territory introductions. I have always had great success with the kitchen floor and a huge salad and pile of hay.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.