PDA

View Full Version : Issues with building a new cage

GadgetGirl
07-28-06, 01:12 pm
Today I bought some coroplast and my car was so small I had to have it cut in half. I need to build a 2x5 cage for my three girls now that quarantine is over. They have been in a 2x4 for one week and I can see that I need that extra grid length. The problem is that since it's been cut, it's not long enough. How do I make it long enough? Should I tape it together? Should I take my old cages and combine them (I have a 2x4 and a 2x3 plus the new coroplast)? I could really use some ideas on what to do. I'm ready to build today and any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

GadgetGirl the piggie lover:love:

standuprookie
07-28-06, 01:30 pm
You can tape the coroplast together using clear packaging tape.

GadgetGirl
07-29-06, 02:59 pm
Today I bought some coroplast and my car was so small I had to have it cut in half. I need to build a 2x5 cage for my three girls now that quarantine is over. They have been in a 2x4 for one week and I can see that I need that extra grid length. The problem is that since it's been cut, it's not long enough. How do I make it long enough? Should I tape it together? Should I take my old cages and combine them (I have a 2x4 and a 2x3 plus the new coroplast)? I could really use some ideas on what to do. I'm ready to build today and any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Can someone help me? This is really important. I don't know what to do with the coroplast! It's not long enough for the 2x5 cage. I have assembled the grids and I need help with the coroplast. Does anyone have any ideas how I could make the coroplast fit the cage without anything falling through a crack? Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, what did you do about it?

Sincerely, very sincerely

3littlepigs
07-29-06, 05:04 pm
I have not had much luck taping two pieces of chloroplast together because things seem to stick to the tape. However, don't know if you know this but you can roll the chloroplast. I also have a small car, but when I made my latest cage I needed a really large piece. So, with the help of the people in the store we rolled it up and put packaging tape on the outside to keep it from unrolling. Don't know if you want to go to the trouble and expense of getting another piece, but maybe if all else fails.(???) Or what about keeping your 2x4 and just adding another level with your grids?

GadgetGirl
07-30-06, 04:44 am
Don't know if you want to go to the trouble and expense of getting another piece, but maybe if all else fails.(???) Or what about keeping your 2x4 and just adding another level with your grids?

I thought with three piggies a 2x5 was the required length. I could make a second level but does that add to the true size of the cage?

Thank you for your response and ideas, I appreciate it.

GadgetGirl
08-01-06, 10:11 am
I'm figuring that no one has any ideas about putting coroplast together to make a 2x5, so I've decided to make it a 3x4 instead. It uses the same amount of grids but instead of being a long area, it becomes a square area. I'm also going to put upper levels on each of the 3 grid ends which should make for more space. There will be connectors between the two second levels with one ramp going up to one side. I'll drop some pictures in when I'm finished.

AltoRose
08-01-06, 11:03 am
The same thing happened to me when I bought my Coroplast--the full sheet wouldn't fit in my car, so we had to cut it into quarters. I just pieced it together and taped it on both sides with clear packing tape, then did my measuring, cutting, etc. It probably wasn't ideal, but it's holding up just fine.

Oh, and I also have a 2x5.

Ly&Pigs
08-01-06, 11:40 am
You could get some duct tape and tape the edges where the pieces meet. Duct tape holds much better than packing tape. Nowadays they have duct tape in several colors, you can get white, black and other colors.

The 4mm coroplast can be rolled to fit in smaller vehicles.

fourbwabbys
08-01-06, 01:15 pm
I used black electrical tape when I reconstructed my cage.

fairysari
08-01-06, 01:27 pm
For rolling coroplast, you definitely need to use packing tape to hold it together. The girl at Home Depot helped me roll it, and it kept popping the tape open an unrolling when we tried masking tape or duct tape. Packing tape held it, but you need to wrap it all the way around. I got it to fit in a small Acura.

smartorl
08-01-06, 01:34 pm
Because of the large size of my cage, there are several pieces of coroplast joined. I have used the red duct tape (it matches my coroplast) with great results. It is waterproof as well. I did use a small plastic slat, almost like a ruler on the bottom that straddled the seam and taped it well top and bottom and it is as good and sturdy, if not more so, than solid coroplast. Duct tape is awesome!!! I saw a show the other night where a lady makes purses, backpacks, and craft bags out of colored duct tape.

PiggieMom
08-01-06, 04:59 pm
I used duct tape and it worked really well. I'm very good with duct tape. I use it for everything.

mscavyclosed
08-04-06, 04:12 am
Yes duct tape works fine. I had an upper deck which was 2x2 and I turned it into a 1x4 loft. I just cut and taped them into a new shape and I even sprayed the taped coroplast down with a garden hose and a jet nozzle and it still held.