Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Using Carpet?

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
Hello all, I have a quick question. I'm planning out the girls' new hay loft, and I thought that it might be nice to have carpet as the bedding in the one part, and then have Carefresh in the "kitchen" area. Does anyone use carpet for bedding here? Does it work well? Obviously it isn't on the main floor, so it probably won't be "used" as much, but how would I do it? What would I need to put underneath it? Anything? And how would I clean it? And finally, would it smell worse than other bedding, like fleece?

If the carpet doesn't sound like a good idea, I'm going to use fleece. But I have a question about fleece. I used it before, and I was thinking, what if I laid a piece of wood down, put puppy pads or towels or whatever on it, and then sort of "wrapped" the fleece around the wood, and set it in the cage? It would be much easier to clean, and the pigs wouldn't be able to try to dig through the fleece. However, would the wood start to smell? What do you guys think of this idea?

And one other question. I have a 2x4 cage, and the loft I'm going to make is going to be a "C" shape, with the back half of the cage having four grids across it, and the two sides of the cage having two grids over them, leaving the center two front grids empty for a ramp. (Sorry if that was confusing.) My question is, 1) Will it support itelf? and 2) Do I need to put up grids so they don't fall? With the last loft I had (before I remodeled the cage) I didn't have a problem with them trying to jump or falling, but I just want to be safe. Thanks!

katiecavyNC

Cavy Slave
Carpet isn't such a good idea unless it is some variety you can wash frequently. Otherwise, the urine will get trapped in it and I can't imagine how to keep it clean.

I cut my fleece large enough so I can lay it up and over the sides of the coroplast and then use binder clips to secure it. That way the piggers can't crawl under it. I thought of using the board idea also, but I think the extra bulk of the fleece under the board where you wrap it around would make it very lumpy looking.

As far as support - You may have to use grids to support - try it and see. Use LOTS of cable ties as you build, and use the connectors to help keep everything square. You may also be able to build your ramps in such a way that they help support the middle section so it doesn't sag. Maybe someone who has built this type of config can help you more....

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
Okay thanks guys. I think I'm going to with fleece. I used to use it, but it became too much of a hassle. I used it when I was first starting out as a piggy mom, and I didn't have an orderly way of cleaning the fleece, the pigs burrowed in it, and I had some other problems. But I think now I should handle it as long as I plan it out well first. I'm gonna sew together some fleece and crib pads. Thanks again!

cavyinhawaii

Cavy Slave
I use indoor outdoor carpet on my piggies ramp.
I had to look very carefully at the make. Some have little carpet pieces that stick up, Mine is more of a burbur. If hoses off beautifully.
I would say it would depend on if they potty lots in that area it might not hold up.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Queen,
I sewed my fleece together with towels and crib pads and then regretted it. It takes forever to dry in the dryer and it got all bunched up! Now I just lay out each layer. Anyhow one way to cure the burrowing under the fleece is to make sure to cut about 6 " for all four sides to allow for shrinkage and it leaves you a nice bit to tuck in. Jenny is notorious for burrowing and when I got this last bunch of fleece from JoAnn a few months ago, I gave myself more of an allowance for tucking and she doesn't get under it!

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
I use small rugs that you buy for bathrooms, kitchens etc., the ones with the rubber backs. I put them under hay racks and in my old cage that had a 1x3 loft, I used entirely those rugs as the floor. It works great. They can be washed and dryed just like the fleece. The smell always washes out and the rubber is nice and hardy for all those washings.

And PS- You can find them for 2 or 3 bucks at cheap stores like Ross. So they are economical as well. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.