PDA

View Full Version : Soon to be new mommy...

mmstras
07-23-06, 06:54 pm
Hello... My name is Michelle and I am adopting a guinea pig from our local shelter (the shelter workers were not able to tell me if it was a boy or girl, now I have read enough that I will be able to tell). I have been doing my reasearch, but have not found much about cats, I know that they cannot obviously safely play together. I wanted to place "Patches" in my living room where I usually am, but I am afraid my cats (red tabby persian that I adopted at age 10 who is NOT declawed because of his age I just think it would be cruel and a seal point himilayan that is declawed) will terrorize the poor piggy. My friend has a siamese that sits in the same chair as her piggy and does nothing, I guess I am just looking for a little more reassurance on a few things. I am getting him/her on Tuesday. Hopefully the cage I ordered (Prevue 320 - 29L x 19D x 31H plus stand) will be big enough to have a playmate for Patches, once I figure out the sex. Any advice, would this cage be big enough for two, I have read so many different things? I have gone to see him/her he nibbled a little bit but we defintely bonded, but at the time didn't know how to sex the animal, I can't believe that the shelter workers don't know or that the people that surrendered the animal didn't even know! Does anyone have any tips on how or if you can litter train a piggy, I have read that they usually go in the same place in their cage all the time and if possible what do you use for litter?

Texas Rustlers
07-23-06, 07:19 pm
We have 5 cats at the rescue, all of our cages are open top cube and coroplast cages. All of our cats have claws and always will.

We adopted Maud (or Evil Weavel) Jan 2005, she hates and attacks other cats but ignores the piggies, she has been caught lying on their hay.

Our 6 year old Libby we adopted Nov 2005 and doesn't care to even look at the piggies

Chicken Little a kitten that I found at work Oct 2005 washes the piggies and shares the cages that have fleece lining, but that's all

Percy Pants, a street cat from Dallas, adopted Feb 2006, likes to play in the fiddlesticks, gets in their cuddlecups and peers in their pigloos.

Our newest kitten I adopted last week and is in quarantine

If the pigs don't want them in the cage they charge the cats or chatter their teeth, none are really bothered by them and are certainly not scared.

In our 5 years of rescue, we have had 12 adopted piggies killed in their adoptive homes by dogs, 3 pigs attacked by ferrets and none even hurt by a cat.

I would of course recommend caution and do not leave them unattended until you are sure. I hope this helps

mmstras
07-23-06, 07:32 pm
Anyone have any advice on litter training, whether my cage is big enough and what kind of piggy he/she is by the picture?

Percy's Mom
07-23-06, 07:58 pm
(Prevue 320 - 29L x 19D x 31H plus stand) This cage is 31"high when it's on the stand. The 29"LX19"D is only 3.8sq ft which is less than half of what we recommend for even 1 pig to live in. Look at the main page for this forum http://www.guineapigcages.com for sizes, directions, and links to help you find the materials you will need to make a very inexpensive large cage for your cavies.

That cage also has a removable grill which equals a wire bottom which equals dangerous to your guinea pigs.

WEAVER
07-23-06, 08:11 pm
Could you call the place you ordered the cage from and get your money back?? You would be saving a bunch of money and giving your pig a much better home if you built a CC cage. Please consider it :)

That cage is barely going to give your pig enough room for a food bowl, haybin, and hidey house, never mind having room to run and around and play. Putting two pigs in that small cage would be out of the question, and your piggy needs a friend once you get him/her properly sexed.

Aertyn
07-23-06, 08:14 pm
Welcome to the site.

That cage costs $70 on ebay, and is way too small.

You can make a C&C cage for $30-$40 and it will be 2-3 times that size.

mmstras
07-23-06, 08:21 pm
I know my cage is already on it's way :sad: I dont know what to do now! I can't send it back and not have anything for him/her to live in! What is the link for CC cages?

Aertyn
07-23-06, 08:26 pm
http://www.guineapigcages.com/index.htm

It's the homepage for this forum

mmstras
07-23-06, 08:30 pm
It looks like the shoe rack I have at home?! Doesn't look like there is much to them.

Percy's Mom
07-23-06, 08:33 pm
Check the photo galleries at the top of the page. It will give you lots of ideas of how you can configure large very sturdy cages for far less than buying a pet store style cage.

mmstras
07-23-06, 08:35 pm
So forgive me because I am new to this, so you don't buy these pre-made you make them yourself? I am lost?!

Percy's Mom
07-23-06, 08:41 pm
Yes, we make the cages ourselves. You can also purchase a kit to put a basic cage together from http://www.guineapigcages.com/buycc.htm. Like I mentioned before, you can also find directions for building and links to help you find materials on the home page for the forum.

mmstras
07-23-06, 08:49 pm
Thank you for all of your help. I guess I will have to see what happens as it is kinda late now to send my cage back. I may have to do with it for now and get something bigger when I can afford it. :sad: Rather disappointing, but I should have done more research before I spent $80+ on a cage.

Susan9608
07-23-06, 09:27 pm
Live and learn. You can always keep your store cage as an emergency, travel to the vet kind of cage.

Some people also find other uses for their old store bought cages; I think one member uses hers to stack her pigs' towels in.

You could also donate it to you local animal shelter; even if it is too small for every day/all day living, your animal shelter could use it for a travel cage or temporary, quarantine cage.

It's too bad about the money, but $80 really isn't too bad for a store bought cage.

OR - I just had a thought - if you start putting your C&C cage together tomorrow (it's not that hard) you could probably be done by tomorrow night, and then you could ship the store bought cage right back as soon as it got to you, totally unopened and totally unused.

mmstras
07-23-06, 09:31 pm
I think for now I am just going to see how my cage works out because I don't trust the looks of those cages with my cats, they are VERY curious. I wouldn't be able to get the bottom part in time regardless.

Percy's Mom
07-23-06, 09:31 pm
If you do decide to hold onto the cage for a travel/quarantine/hospital cage, please look into getting an extra piece of coroplast to cover the grid base that sits above the pull out tray.

mmstras
07-23-06, 09:32 pm
It is removeable so I planned on taking it out anyways. I feel bad for the poor little piggy at the shelter he has a "screen type" bottom on his cage and that cage is TINY!

Percy's Mom
07-23-06, 09:33 pm
I wouldn't be able to get the bottom part in time regardless.You could go to a sign shop and have the coroplast to make the tray by tomorrow afternoon. Obviously, you intend to completely disregard our advice and house your possible guinea pig in a much too small cage with a floor that could hurt his feet. If you decide to reconsider, feel free to ask questions, and we will be able to help you get a proper cage together.

mmstras
07-23-06, 09:34 pm
Are there any other types of cages that you would recommend besides those?

mmstras
07-23-06, 09:37 pm
It is removeable! Percy I REALLY do not appreciate your rudeness! I am saving a piggy from a shelter that is in bad conditions right now. EXCUSE ME for not knowing all like you. I am not made of money and I said I would get something larger when I can afford it. I have grown up with pets all of my life and would NEVER intentionally harm or neglect a pet. Thanks for judging me though. :yuck:

Susan9608
07-23-06, 09:48 pm
Thanks for judging me though.
You're welcome.

It seems like you're coming up with lots of excuses to use the pet store cage you're already purchased (but haven't yet used) and not make a larger cage.

There is a whole photo section here on alternative cages. You should take a look; there are quite a few people - myself included - who considered the C&C type cages and decided that the materials weren't quite right for our situations. What we all took to heart, though, is that size matters. It really does. So we all managed to construct *something* of the correct size for a guinea pig.

If you haven't gotten your pig yet, you could talk to the shelter and explain about your cage dilemma, and ask them to hold onto the pig while you make a cage that is of adequate size. You could also construct a C&C cage by tomorrow evening if you tried.

Did you read what Texas Rustlers said about cats? Many, many members on here have cats and few - if any - have found them to be a problem. If you're that worried about it, you can put a lid on the cage. Or you can temporarily house your pig in a room with a door on it, until you can construct something that you feel would hold up to your cat's curiousity.

I am saving a piggy from a shelter that is in bad conditions right now.
That's great, fabulous even. However, that's not all it takes to be eligible for animal care sainthood. You need to provide the proper care, too.

Please take a look at the photo galleries and see the alternative c&c cages and the cages that are cat-proof. And please reconsider housing your pig in a small, store bought cage for any length of time.

Here's the link to cat and dog proofing: http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/533

And here's the link to the alternative material cages: http://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/512

Percy's Mom
07-23-06, 09:54 pm
There was nothing rude about what I said. Straightforward, I'll admit to. You asked information about that cage, you were given honest answers about it, and you chose to disregard that. That cage is so small, I wouldn't keep a guinea pig in it any longer than to use it for a travel cage. If you take the removable floor of the cage out, the very bottom is probably even smaller than the slightly under 4 sq ft that I calculated the first time, and being that the very bottom of the cage is a removable tray, most likely not very stable.

You asked if we recommend any other types of cages besides the ones that this forum is based on, that the directions to make are on the home page. Officially, no. If you want to use the recommended sizes in the chart on the home page and build something that you feel more comfortable with out of other materials, by all means do so, and post pictures of the cage in the gallery under Alternate Materials. The cages that we most often recommend are not flimsy, easy to construct, and made out of easy to find materials in most areas.

If you read the directions or do a forum search on cage lids, you will also find that you can make your cage dog or cat proof. Even with a lid, I would still recommend keeping your guinea pigs in an area that you can easily monitor or seperate from any dogs or cats if you're concerned. From personal experience, I can tell you that neither of my cats care one way or the other about the pigs.

Since Susan gave you the safety link I was going to give you, I am going to direct you to our Newbie thread. It will provide you with a great deal of information to research your upcoming pig.
http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/introductions/17032-newbies-please-read-post-first.html

mmstras
07-23-06, 10:00 pm
I don't have time for your :censored: anymore. I have read some of the RUDE things that you have written to other people also and realize this is what type of person you are. I am not going to explain myself to you anymore because I could really careless what you think of me. :mischievo

Aertyn
07-23-06, 10:06 pm
You asked for our opinion, and we gave it. It wasn't rude at all. Simply stating the facts as are.

mmstras
07-23-06, 10:11 pm
If you would learn how to read, maybe you would know what I mean, but obviously you are not READING the responses. Since you know all about the cage I am getting you would have known that the screen bottom is removeable...and I said I was planning on taking it out. I also said that I do not have the money right now after spending $80+ on that cage to get something else and that I will as soon as I can afford it. Sorry I don't care for your CC cages and I don't want one, get over it, they are fricken shoe racks.

Percy's Mom
07-23-06, 10:12 pm
I am not going to explain myself to you anymore because I could really careless what you think of me. :mischievoGood. Because I think very little of someone who feels the need to sink to juvenile tactics like using curse words to get their point across. While you may think that it makes you big and bad, all it does is make you look even more ridiculous. Consider this your first official warning to follow the forum rules. We treat people like adults who act like adults, and there are young teenagers that are members of this forum who act more adult that you just did.

PiggieMom
07-23-06, 10:17 pm
If you dont' like C&C cages that's all good and well. It's great that you can take out the wire bottom. But it doesn't change the fact that it's too small for a guinea pig to live in. Guinea pigs love to run and jump and popcorn. They can't do anything in a small cage like that buy lay around in their own filth (even if you clean it out twice a day, it gets gross fast). I'm sorry if you felt offended or attacked. We all just want what's best for the guinea pig.

What I would do is turn around and sell the too small cage and build a bigger one. It doesn't have to be made from cubes and coroplast. Look in the cage galleries for ideas. It just has to be a total of at least 7.5 sq ft. for one pig.

I wish you the best of luck. The newbie thread link has already been posted. I suggest you look into the information threre. It is great. It has good links for health and diet.

mmstras
07-23-06, 10:21 pm
Thanks for not being rude like the rest Piggie Mom. That is my plan to either give it to the shelter I am getting him/her from or to sell it. I am just not sure what I am going to do for a new cage yet. Yes, I was asking for advice, but I was not asking to be attacked or judged. Everyone wants what's best for the pigs, but money doesn't grow on trees and I did not know so I will do the best I can and he/she will be fine. I made a mistake, but no one is going to die from it.

PiggieMom
07-23-06, 10:27 pm
I would not keep the pig too long in that little cage though. I'd make it top priority to build a bigger and better cage. And while your building make sure the pig gets plenty of floor time to exercise. You wouldn't like living in a teeny tiny bathroom all day (that's what those small cages are really like to them!) Ick.

And I'll say it again: while you're here make sure to check out the newbie thread. It's important to know what to feed them and the supplies you need so you can have everything ready. If like you said it was kept on a wire floor in poor conditions keep in mind that it may have emotional or medical problems. http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/introductions/17032-newbies-please-read-post-first.html

mmstras
07-23-06, 10:30 pm
Thanks for the advice. I have everything here already I believe, I got the Timothy food with the hay in it already, water bottle, a chube with bedding in it, a cuddle cup, vitamin C treats, bowls, carefresh bedding, etc. I think I am set other than the cage dilhema.

PiggieMom
07-23-06, 10:33 pm
Oh, take the bedding from the chube out. It's a choking hazard. I don't know why they stick that stuff in there. Also is your food just a plain pellet with no seeds, colored bits or corn? You want to make sure the food is just pellets. They also must have regular, plain ol' hay to eat at all times. It helps wear down their teeth and aids digestion. Also what's in their vitamin C treats? A lot of them are high in sugar and contain things piggies don't need. If you feed a cup of fresh veggies every day (which is the minimum amount) you shouldn't have to worry about viatamin C.

Ly&Pigs
07-23-06, 10:43 pm
Percy I REALLY do not appreciate your rudeness! I am saving a piggy from a shelter that is in bad conditions right now. EXCUSE ME for not knowing all like you. I am not made of money and I said I would get something larger when I can afford it. I have grown up with pets all of my life and would NEVER intentionally harm or neglect a pet. Thanks for judging me though. :yuck:

I am going to tell you one thing and that is you need to watch what you say to the moderators. Our names are in green and Percy's Mom is one of them. We are here for a reason and that is the welfare of guinea pigs and all animals. I will not tolerate the mods being talked to as you did. Percy's Mom did not get rude with you nor did anyone else on this thread. If I see another curse word from you, you will be banned for one week. I will reiterate that you need to read the newbie thread and read the forum rules and the forum principles.

mmstras
07-23-06, 10:44 pm
Oh so scared, please don't don't ban me for a week!

Ly&Pigs
07-23-06, 11:15 pm
Lose the attitude please.

mmstras
07-23-06, 11:17 pm
Mind your own business please... No one asked you. I was having a fine conversation with someone nice and then you butted in.

Susan9608
07-23-06, 11:23 pm
Mind your own business please... No one asked you. I was having a fine conversation with someone nice and then you butted in.

Whoa ... easy there, Killer.

I think you're on the right track to being a fabulous guinea pig owner ... well, at least as soon as you get the cage thing straightened out. Unfortunately, you don't seem to be able to control yourself. Perhaps you have Tourettes? But then, perhaps not. Until such time as you can control youself, we're going to have to help you.

We usually have a standard message for this, and I'll post it in a few minutes, but until then, just to let you know, you've been caged.

mmstras
07-23-06, 11:24 pm
You guys are a bunch of losers. WOW!!! Very amusing.

Susan9608
07-23-06, 11:25 pm
all right, forget it - you're banned instead. :)

janetangel
07-25-06, 04:38 pm
WOW! I am glad PiggieMom could get thru to mmstras. I cannot believe the attitude toward authority on the forum.
As for the concern about the cats, my cats amazed me in not being too concerned about the pigges. I did build a (now) two story cage enclosed, to keep the cats out, but during playtime they do not do anything to harm my piggies. Just be cautious. The cage I agree needs to be larger and I know finances can be tough. I was surprised by the amount of money it took me to build my cage about 40.00. It is two stories and very sturdy with zip ties. I also amazed myself that I could be as creative as I was. I took ideas from the site and was able to create something myself. If mmstras reads this, I hope you can find some ideas for cage that works for you and your piggie to be happy.

Lydia
07-25-06, 05:40 pm
all right, forget it - you're banned instead. :)

Sometimes people find the lesson hard to understand; read, learn, listen... then speak. It's not supposed to be the other way around. Good call Susan - that's one of the reasons you're a Mod! :rolleyes:

My Baby Mu
07-25-06, 09:48 pm
Ok I know this person is banned, but I am going to reply to the general public.

This is not a whip cream on top, cherry coated forum. We tell you the straight facts. The majority of people here aren't going to sugar coat there replys. To you newbies who have read other places where they carry out there business with sugar, we don't. What newbies read as 'rude' I read as straight facts. We do say, yes you messed up and will forgive you if you are willing to fix it. We get pissed off if you are hostile to us for trying to help the piggy and more enjoyment of the pig to you. I bought a store bought cage, bad food, almost no veggies...and a pet store pig. I don't like that I did it (I do love my piggy) but have expanded to a C&C cage, bought one of the best brands of pellets, feed lots of veggies, and have rescued 3 other piggies. No, I am not looked down on on this forum and not spooken rude to even though I did this. Even some of the mods have bought a pet store pig and I think the administrator did too, just fix the mistake you made.

"You can not change what you do not know, but once you know, ignorance is no longer a excuse" -Weaver

janetangel
07-25-06, 11:39 pm
Ok I know this person is banned, but I am going to reply to the general public.

No, I am not looked down on on this forum and not spooken rude to even though I did this.

"You can not change what you do not know, but once you know, ignorance is no longer a excuse" -Weaver

I had to laugh at the spooken to part. I hope you have not been spooked too.
The message in your post is well said. I hope more people who join the site understand before they react so nasty.

katiecavyNC
07-26-06, 07:43 am
I have to say, I treat coming into a new forum like going over to someone's house. I would never walk in someone else's house and start demanding they change, or treat me a certain way. I would be respectful of their particular style and of their beliefs. I wouldn't try to change them, but would be open to discuss whatever the topic would be.

I would never dream of going into someone's house and start telling them how to do their business.

If I feel I am treated rudely, I would just not go back...AFTER really taking a moment to examine my own behavior to see if they were prehaps justified in their comments.

Susan9608
07-26-06, 04:19 pm
Since the original poster has been banned, I'm going to go ahead and close this.