Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cavy Cozies

Treen

Cavy Slave
I'm not a super sewer but I've managed to knock up a few cozies for my pigs. Definitely a favourite - there's much frustration if it falls flat and they can't headbutt their way back in! And if queueing up to wait for their turn doesn't work, the shoehorn manouevre is often used to turf another pig out!

Last edited:

Piglet

Cavy Slave
they look great! which material did you use for the inside?

Treen

Cavy Slave
It's a fleece material - I got it from a material stall. I'm not sure what it's made of exactly, but I explained what it was for and they said it would be good for that, and not too easy to chew to bits (which thankfully they don't seem bothered to do anyway)!

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
How did you make the cozies? :D

Treen

Cavy Slave
Due to my impatient nature, I didn't really have a pattern or plan - I just sat down at the sewing machine with a bit of material and a bit of fleece, made the two pouches and cobbed them together.

Have a look at this page (broken link removed) - several people have written instructions for how they made theirs!

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I made a few a while back out of an old fleece jumper. Got two pieces of rectangles, sewed up three of the edges, and then turned it inside out to neaten up the edges. To make the opening a little stronger I rolled back the fleece two times.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
for all the nonsewers here, would fabric glue be ok instead of thread. I'm afraid about the chemicals used in it though. What do you all say?

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Um, I was going to use the glue because I thought I sucked at sewing, but trust me, its really easy. I didn't use a machine (I can't thread it up and nor can my mum!), I just stiched it by hand with some thick string. Only took me about 15 minutes.

Denise

Cavy Slave
I made some "cozies" by using a hat pattern I used to make winter hats for my twin daughters. It worked pretty good.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
Those cozies look great! Unfortunately, I just sewed two of the kind that will fall flat. Oh, well. Thanks for the idea!

Sierra

Cavy Slave
I was thinking.....couldn't you stiffen them to make sure they didn't fall flat by putting a piece of bent coroplast in there?

TinaFabulous
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Sierra

Cavy Slave
I meant to make the back of it (you know, a circle cushion with a back to it).

TinaFabulous
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
if you use thick fleece, it will stay up on its own and not flop over. i just made two by sewing big rectangles together, and they work great!

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't put the coroplast in there it wouldn't be like a cozy. If you sew 2 (if you fold them over otherwise 4) peices of fleece they won't fall over even more. Mine are one layer and I roll down the tops and they stay open.

loves2travel

Cavy Slave
yes, the entrance of my cozy is reinforced like my baby mu's with extra layers of fleece strips. seems like it will work ok.

Sierra

Cavy Slave
Okay, thanks for the tips!

Ruthies owner

Cavy Slave
Treen said:
I'm not a super sewer but I've managed to knock up a few cozies for my pigs. Definitely a favourite - there's much frustration if it falls flat and they can't headbutt their way back in! And if queueing up to wait for their turn doesn't work, the shoehorn manouevre is often used to turf another pig out!

I just made a cozy. Haha it is not as pretty as yours but Ruthie absolutly LOVES it. It is just felt that i sewed together but Ruth won't come out of it. My mom took her out of it and Ruth went right back in! Hehe I had no idea it would be a big hit!

lmg99

Cavy Slave
Treen said:
Would fun fur work? I've aquired a whole whack of it. It's not long fur but the stuff used for stuffed animals. Right now we put in a wash cloth for our piggy, and he lays on it, but it's not cuddly for his body.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.