PDA

View Full Version : How long have YOU been vegetarian/vegan?

Jordyandkerri
07-20-06, 04:28 pm
I've been vegetarian for about 4 years, my girlfriend became a vegetarian in january of 2005 and has been vegan for the last couple of months. How long have you guys been vegetarian/vegan? If you're not either of the two, how long will it be before you wisen up and take a stand for something positive and healthy?

Susan9608
07-20-06, 04:37 pm
18 years and counting here.

TheQueen
07-20-06, 04:50 pm
It was a year on July 4th. I know, not that long, but still.

PiggieMom
07-20-06, 04:57 pm
In eight days it will be a month. Not very long for me at all!

Lydia
07-20-06, 05:32 pm
Around 7 or so. I was a vegetarian throughout high school, then got weak for a while, then recommitted so it feels like always, but it isn't. I'm really a "wanna be" vegan, but I find it so diffiicult; especially with a non-veg*n husband. <sigh> One of these days I'll drag him over to the other side.

Tatalp
07-20-06, 06:41 pm
Two and a half years.

Texas Rustlers
07-20-06, 07:29 pm
Vegetarian for 23 years - with 1 year as a vegan while I was at university. I try and avoid milk products as much as possible but am too weak when it comes to cheese

My Baby Mu
07-20-06, 10:29 pm
Vegetarian for 2 years.

jabberwock
07-21-06, 04:16 am
19 years. We keep trying to be vegan but haven't managed to get there totally. I worried that being vegan would be really hard on the children when they went to friends' houses. That really isn't a very good excuse though, is it.

zoepiglet
07-21-06, 05:51 am
Vegetarian for one year, became one around the time I was moving out from my family home. In high school I was veggie for two and a half years, but my mother made it so difficult for me. Now one of my sisters is vegan and the other vegetarian, without me swaying them in the slightest. My father doesn't eat red meat now, which is also a step in the right direction.

C&K
07-21-06, 01:04 pm
3 days. Well, it is a start. Even yesterday in the middle of a crisis, I ordered a pizza without meat on it!

Weatherlight
07-21-06, 06:01 pm
I wasn't vegetarian, I now see (didn't check for gelatin, wasn't picky about stocks, etc but basically I was ignorant and selfish anyway), but I was meatless since sometime around 1998 or 1999 iirc. I've been vegan since November 2003. I don't think it's that once you do SOMETHING to "take a stand," you should stop there. Since going vegan, I've also learned about sweatshop/slave labor, fair labor, fair trade, organic vs conventional, co-ops, the track records of many large corporations, and so much other stuff. My dream is to someday grow all my own food, learning how to keep my crops safe for me without harming or killing wildlife. It seems there's always something new to learn and another way I can less contribute to injustice and cruelty ^^

Best of wishes to all of you who are on your own journeys!

Bellebelle
07-21-06, 06:48 pm
I've been veggie since the 23rd of February this year, when we went to India, and you got to WATCH animals being slaughtered on the streets.

Emma

My Baby Mu
07-21-06, 08:56 pm
Go C&K! This is the first time I heard you were going vegetarian.

WEAVER
07-22-06, 10:24 am
I have been a vegetarian since April of this year. It has been a struggle, but I am sticking with it. Thinking about the animals helps me to stay focused.

amptondooz
07-27-06, 02:50 am
I only started yesterday! LOL

Sabriel
07-27-06, 11:43 am
Vegetarian for about a year and 1/4. Had my first rice krispie square in over a year now that I found veg marshmellow fluff. :)

SkinnyPiggys
07-28-06, 12:19 pm
I have been a vegetarian for 20 years and a vegan for the last 7 of those. :o

Ms.Chompers
07-28-06, 12:53 pm
I've been a vegeterian for a total of 25 years. I began at age 13 (much to my mother and grandmother's dismay) and had to make a deal with my mother and grandmother to eat meat twice a week. My mother soon gave up on that and let me eat as I wished.

I've been a Protein Power Vegetarian for the last 8 years (it cured me of diabetes, high blood pressure and several other things--without any drugs--it is the only low carb diet that has a special section for vegetarians--well the only one I know of anyway).

wierdo4life
07-28-06, 02:18 pm
I've been a vegeterian for about 2 years. My meat-loving father actually eats veggie burgers occasionally and our family really doesn't eat that much meat anymore.

*Cavy~Cuddler*
07-28-06, 06:15 pm
I have been a vegetarian for 3 years. My husband is a chef and doesn't think it is right not to eat meat. I have taken alot of crap from my family about it especialy since we live in Texas. I enjoy being a Vegetarian and would never think of going to meat again.

mkkayla
07-29-06, 09:26 pm
I have been vegetarian for around 9 years. I gave up chicken a few years before that, but had trouble giving up beef and pork BBQ (I live in Memphis, after all). That all changed when within a month we had two tractor trailor accidents in our city involving cattle carriers. The cows that weren't killed in the accident or by police after the accident because they were a traffic hazard, were rounded up and continued their journey to the slaughterhouse. I have not eaten meat since.

HazElnUt5
07-31-06, 04:58 pm
Vegetarian for about two weeks

sweetjay6891
07-31-06, 05:42 pm
Strict vegan for 6 years and will always be. Dogs and cat too!

HowietheGreat
07-31-06, 05:50 pm
Ten- it will be eleven in September.

Res Judicata
08-03-06, 02:04 pm
For about a year, I think. I was diagnosed with IBS, and discovered that meat just makes it worse. Plus it feels good knowing that's a few less animals that will be slaughtered just to feed me.

Fluffball
08-04-06, 06:46 am
Ive been vegetarian for one year and 6 months. I wouldnt call myself a vegan yet because I occasionally still eat cheese, I plan on being a vegetarian for my whole life.

HandcuffedAngel
08-04-06, 09:38 am
I went vegan as my New Year's Resolution this year soon after I started my research on the subject.

PatchworkPig
08-05-06, 06:42 pm
I've been vegetarian my entire life and am quite proud of it!

sweetjay6891
08-05-06, 06:53 pm
Anyone else's dog or cat a veggie too?

SandyF
08-05-06, 09:19 pm
For about a year, I think. I was diagnosed with IBS, and discovered that meat just makes it worse. Same here. I have suffered with IBS for years, and discovered that eating meat made it worse. I'd eat a piece of fried chicken at a restaurant, and by the time we got home I'd be making a bee-line to the bathroom. Same with steaks and burgers. So I gave up meat 6+ years ago when I noticed that skipping meat made my stomach a lot less sensitive. Shortly thereafter, I read "Diet for a New America" by John Robbins. It really changed my perspective on eating animals.

I still have problems with my stomach on occasion, usually when I'm stressed out, but eliminating meat from my diet has greatly helped -- and is a choice I feel really good about from an ethical standpoint, too.

Weatherlight
08-05-06, 10:45 pm
Anyone else's dog or cat a veggie too?

My partner has two cats who are vegan. Kitty transitioned to a vegan diet starting November 2003 (when I arrived at the scene), Robin in January 2004 (when she was adopted from the shelter). I really think they should be getting at least some Vegecat, but my partner is lazy and feeds Evolution.

crazychic
09-07-06, 12:35 pm
Honestly, Ive been one my whole life. When I was a baby my parents couldnt not get me to drink cows milk and had to search for something that I would drink instead. I wound up drinking rice milk, which I still drink. When I was a little bit older but still a very small child, I downright refused to eat any kind of eat bc I thought it was absolutly disgusting and sometimes when I ate it, I would throw up. Then I became old enough to realize where meat came from and they made meat even worse to me. Im 20 yrs old now.

JarBax
09-07-06, 01:12 pm
I became vegan 12 years ago. Since then, I have lapsed into vegetarianixm, pescatarianism and am now a bit of a confusing mixture of the 3! (Though trying to remember the last time I ate fish - and can't - it would have been as an invited guest). I don't drink cows milk, avoid animal tested products etc, but eat some cheese and occasional other dairy.

guineabeginner
09-07-06, 05:07 pm
I think like...three months or something, I don't keep count, I just know I'm done with meat. It's great, it makes me feel more active, and healthy, not to menchion how much I am helping animals. My parents don't mind it, they've realized how helathy a diet it is to be vegetarian and how it could help them lose weight. My mom cooks me lots of veggie stuff for meals ^_^ she's great. I don't have any cravings for meat, never liked it much any ways, taking it out of my diet wasn't that big a deal for me, but I do eat more veggies now which is good. I'll be vegetarian for the rest of my life, it's too great for me to do otherwise.

stitsy&codyPig
09-18-06, 06:59 pm
I became a vegatarian May 2, 2005 and four days ago I decided to go vegan. This is only my fourth day being a vegan, but I love it already. :)

mandyish
10-03-06, 12:20 am
about 8 years now.. :) being in the south it is very hard but i've managed!

standuprookie
10-03-06, 06:52 am
I have taken alot of crap from my family about it especialy since we live in Texas.
I know exactly what you mean. I think it might have been easier if I still lived in a big college town (Bryan/College Station) but now I live in a small farming community about an hour outside of Dallas.

pamziaw
10-03-06, 08:28 am
2 weeks and 4 days! So far so good, thank God for quorn!

CadburysMommy
10-24-06, 06:08 pm
I have been a lacto ovo vegetarian for 22 years now, a lacto vegetarian for 20 years and a vegan for 19 years...and counting.

Geneva
10-25-06, 08:33 pm
My husband and myself have been vegetarian since July, and we feel great!

Emmett
10-26-06, 03:55 pm
I have been a vegetarian since 1972 so that would be 34 years. And my rancher parents thought it was a phase.lol Fooled them.

amptondooz
10-27-06, 12:04 pm
13 weeks and 2 days now!

_Anja_
11-03-06, 06:56 am
Almost 2 1/2 year

homeschoolmama
11-04-06, 06:02 pm
It will be one year, the day after Thanksgiving! Haven't lost any weight, but I've been healthier & had more energy than I have in years.
love,
mom

Piglet
11-11-06, 01:02 pm
2 years and 1 month thanks to this forum

thalestral
11-11-06, 04:05 pm
I've been vegetarian since August, and lurking on this forum helped a lot towards my decision. I found it surprisingly easy, and even though my boyfriend hasn't gone vegetarian as well our diets have both improved immensely (plus he isn't eating that much meat now, but shh, don't tell him that!).

mini'smama
11-14-06, 08:40 am
In 2001, I managed to go vegetarian for 6 months before relapsing. In January of this year, I made another attempt to go veg.; but, I only lasted two months before falling off of the 'meat free' wagon again.

Sigh.

gp_kat
11-15-06, 06:48 am
It would never bother me if a person is not a vegetarian, because i agree chickenfor example is very nice food. However, i hardly eat meat becuse i think it is wrong to have an animals life taken away so that we can have their food. But i do admit to eating it occasionaly!

CarrieBrianne
11-22-06, 07:39 pm
It'll be a year in January.

Shaffy
11-24-06, 06:46 pm
Well i guess it's been a week for me.

smileyface cavy
11-25-06, 07:56 am
Probably been at least a year now.

amptondooz
11-27-06, 08:44 am
17 weeks and 5 days!

xDanix
01-07-07, 03:22 pm
Vegetarian for 3 years. My husband is vegan and I really want to be vegan too, but I couldnīt cut cheese yet (just cheese, I donīt care about other things like eggs and milk). Unfortunately, vegan cheese doesnīt exist...I want it so much!

Macayle
02-06-07, 03:38 pm
I have been vegetarian since Febuary 1st 2006. It was just a spur of the moment thing but I stuck with it.

alexelizabeth
02-06-07, 03:46 pm
I have been one since preschool.

gpigluver14
02-06-07, 05:29 pm
I've been a vegetarian now for a couple of weeks. Not a full vegetarian yet though. And it hasn't even been that bad, I've been able to give up meat pretty easily. I wish I had done it sooner. It makes you feel good, knowing you're saving animals.

akintolife
02-09-07, 04:13 pm
Vegetarian for 3 years. My husband is vegan and I really want to be vegan too, but I couldnīt cut cheese yet (just cheese, I donīt care about other things like eggs and milk). Unfortunately, vegan cheese doesnīt exist...I want it so much!

Some friends of mine recently got The Uncheese Cookbook by Joanne Stepaniak and love some of the vegan cheeses in there. Although I always think it's best giving up cheese for awhile before trying vegan cheeses.

I thought I'd replied here, but I guess I didn't (or I've missed my own reply) I've been vegan for about two years now and had been vegetarian on and off for about 10 years before that.

wickedrodent
03-11-07, 09:59 pm
Bringing this thread back up for a reason..

I had been a vegetarian for a little over 2 years.

This Saturday (yesterday), my mom and I went to a diner, and I ordered "vegetable soup" (heavy on the quotes) and much to my horror after I ate a few bites, I noticed there were little tiny pieces of meat in the broth.

The irritating part is I specificaly had asked the waiter if there was any meat in it before I ordered it, and he said no.. Really really ticked me off.. I could understand if it was my fault for not asking or something.. :mad:

So here I am again.. starting over.. 2 days..

thalestral
03-12-07, 04:43 am
I don't think one mistake means you have to start over, it wasn't your fault. In my opinion you've still been vegetarian for 2 years. Unfortunately it's something that happens to many veggies.

Percy's Mom
03-12-07, 09:51 am
Don't beat yourself up wicked. One little taste hardly makes you NOT a vegetarian. I have to agree with thalestral, you did what you could, the waiter had no clue and gave you the wrong information. You're still a 2 year vegetarian.

AJismypiggy
03-12-07, 11:02 am
I have been vegetarian for almost 6 months now! Also, I agree with Percy's Mom. It wasn't your fault for eating it!

wickedrodent
03-12-07, 04:02 pm
Thanks everyone.. I feel tons better today.. :D

Mr.Jiggles
03-12-07, 04:12 pm
I have never ever been anything that doesn't include meat. I am the kind of person you cant stop from eating meat. I honestly don't agree that being a vegan will help anything, besides showing you position on the situation. Well I have my opinion and now I am preparing for the flammings of multiple people.

PiggieMamaKelly
03-12-07, 08:51 pm
Mr. Jiggles... No one on this board flames omnivores for being so. But what are you THINKING joining in on a vegetarian discussion just to say that you plan to never stop eating meat and being a vegan is pointless??? This really isn't the place for it. And then to set yourself up as the poor victim who is going to get unfairly flamed! Give me a break.

Mr.Jiggles
03-12-07, 10:20 pm
Excuse me, Piggie. Just stating my opinion on things. No need to get offended I was only replying to the topic.

Debbie GP Love
03-13-07, 10:53 am
I went back to vegetarian about six months ago and have no regrets. I went vegetarian in 1994 and stayed there until 2003. I'm not sure why I went back to eating meat but it never really felt right. Since I got my piggies last fall it has prompted me to go back to what feels best for me.

I also found out recently that I am gluten intolerant so pasta and bread are OUT. I'm not bummed out though. There are plenty of vegetarian and gluten free options. I've been through culinary training so I feel comfortable with designing menus and recipes for special diets. I did this in my catering and personal chef business. I was surprised to find so many people who wanted a meatless diet or had a special dietary need so I am encouraged that there could be a trend in this direction. It seems that a lot of national restaurants are also recognizing this requirement.

Who could argue over a delicicous plate of risotto with cream and parmesan topped with roasted eggplant and pepper caponata. Nice walnut, pear and red leaf lettuce salad on the side. Yum.

Percy's Mom
03-13-07, 05:10 pm
No need to get offended I was only replying to the topic.The topic of the thread is "How long have YOU been vegetarian/vegan?" If you're neither, only posting to upset people, and expect to be flamed for it, you have absolutely no logical reason to reply at all.

Who could argue over a delicicous plate of risotto with cream and parmesan topped with roasted eggplant and pepper caponata. Nice walnut, pear and red leaf lettuce salad on the side. Yum.This sounds absolutely scrumptious! Please feel free to post the recipe in the vegetarian recipes thread. I'm sure there are others besides myself who would love to try it.

wickedrodent
03-13-07, 05:23 pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie GP Love
Who could argue over a delicicous plate of risotto with cream and parmesan topped with roasted eggplant and pepper caponata. Nice walnut, pear and red leaf lettuce salad on the side. Yum.

This sounds absolutely scrumptious! Please feel free to post the recipe in the vegetarian recipes thread. I'm sure there are others besides myself who would love to try it.

Oh.. I would love the recipe as well.. it sounds amazing!

Debbie GP Love
03-14-07, 06:32 am
This sounds absolutely scrumptious! Please feel free to post the recipe in the vegetarian recipes thread. I'm sure there are others besides myself who would love to try it.

Even at this risk of being redundant with other recipe postings, I'll put together a small cookbook of vegetarian, pescatarian and vegan recipes that were successful with my clients. Somewhere around 15 to 20 recipes. All are originally created and easy to prepare.

It may take me a couple of days but I look forward to a new project.

PiggieMamaKelly
03-14-07, 12:32 pm
Sounds great Debbie!! I'm looking forward to that.

Eggplant is SO good. I don't know why it's so rarely used in meals. Eggplant parmasian is better than any chicken parmasian I ever ate as an omnivore.

callykins
03-17-07, 05:19 pm
I have been for about four years now, however my mother has been a veggie for as long as i can remember, and so i mostly have lived on vegeterian option foods for the past well... Uhmmmmmm lets say about 13 years as my dad left home just before then.

poufmomma
03-29-07, 05:43 pm
:cheerful: Okay, kind of weak but... 4 months!

amptondooz
03-31-07, 01:14 am
Wow, I posted on the first page! That was a long time ago. Let's see, July 26... 249 days.

xDanix
04-08-07, 08:44 pm
Thanks for the tip. I found the book on the internet and it must be awesome. But, I saw some recipes took from it, and most (maybe all) of them are made with nutritional yeast, and it doesnīt exist here in Brazil.
Thanks anyway!

Some friends of mine recently got The Uncheese Cookbook by Joanne Stepaniak and love some of the vegan cheeses in there. Although I always think it's best giving up cheese for awhile before trying vegan cheeses.

I thought I'd replied here, but I guess I didn't (or I've missed my own reply) I've been vegan for about two years now and had been vegetarian on and off for about 10 years before that.

kimspigs
04-14-07, 01:27 pm
Hi I am new here.

I just wanted to post that I have been a veggie for about 6 years now. It has made me eat more healthy foods etc... As someone else has said though I couldn't go vegan as I love cheese. And also I believe I am a pesco veggie as I eat Fish :confused: I love fish though....sorry.

Anyway nice to meet you all :)

My Baby Mu
04-14-07, 01:28 pm
If you eat fish your a pescitarian.

kimspigs
04-15-07, 09:40 am
If you eat fish your a pescitarian.

Pescitarian, right will remember that, thank you :sad:

attackofthebear
04-15-07, 10:16 am
I've been vegetarian for the past 5 or 6 years and have recently gone vegan. It's my third day being vegan, and so far its working out.

ellig123
04-17-07, 10:21 am
About 8 years for me :)