Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Bacon Blues

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
Ugh, I am so mad right now! We just got home from going out to eat for my birthday, and I'm so upset I just need to vent, and I know you guys can understand.

So, we went out to eat, and I ordered some pasta, with soup instead of salad. I deliberately asked the waiter if the Pasta E Fagioli soup had meat in it or if it was chicken/beef based. I know that usually that soup doesn't contain meat, but I wanted to be sure. He said, "No, it doesn't have any meat in it." So I ordered a cup of it. We're sitting there eating, and I'm like, "This sort of tastes like it's chicken based." So my mom, who owns a restaurant, tasted it and said that she didn't think it was, and since the waiter said it wasn't, I kept eating it. I get about 1/4 of the way through the cup and pull my spoon out and sitting there on top of a bean was a little brown flat thing. I said, "Mother, what is that?" She ate it, and it was BACON.

Oh, I was so mad. So mad. The waiter didn't even give the soup for free or anything. He was just like, "Oh, sorry." I was so angry, we gave him a real cheap tip. I mean, it might have been a different story if I hadn't asked, and had just ordered it, but the fact that I deliberately asked him and he basically lied to me really ticks me off. He should have asked the chef! Has anyone else had something like this happen? Argh. I should have gotten the stupid salad.

And, the night before, I ordered a "Country Veg Plate" at this one restaurant, and the beans had bacon in them. But thankfully, I saw it before I actually ate them. Sorry everyone, I just needed to vent.

Jordyandkerri

Cavy Slave
You can get a lawyer and file a suit. It works, honestly. I'm not joking at all. That will teach them to be less careless next time.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
You have to be cautious with soup and things like that; most are made with chicken or beef base. The best thing to do is to ask the waiter to check with the kitchen; the waiters rarely know anything beyond what they have to memorize in order to present the specials to customers.

A lawsuit is a nice idea; however you have to be able to prove damages. In the end, I think it would be a waste of time and resources.

Sorry that happened to you!

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
While I don't know about suing them, it wouldn't be acceptable if you had been allergic to it - why should it be acceptable because you're vegetarian? Find out who owns or manages the place and complain to them. Take it further if you can't get a decent resolution (i.e. a refund and personal apology) from them.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
I agreet that some action needs to be taken. At the very least complain the the managment. I would be very upset as well. It is their responsibility to say when asked the ingredients of a certain dish. If you had a food alergy you could be sersiously sick. And of course as a vegetarian you have been tricked into eating meat.

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
I agree, I could sue them, but in the end I don't think it would really get me anywhere. I did complain to him, obviously, but next time we're there I'll make sure to ask to see a manager. I know have to be careful with a lot of dishes, I was trying to be careful when I asked, but I guess I'll just have to be extra careful from now on. Thanks for the suggestions guys!

In a next-to-ideal world (an ideal world would be where no meat was eaten at all), all the menus from all the restaurants would plainly state whether they have meat, or are vegetarian or vegan. I would love that!

Tatalp

Cavy Slave
Ugh, that's terrible! I find that if you're not totally sure that something is vegetarian or vegan, tell them that you are allergic to meat or whatever you suspect may be in the food. They'll be very careful not to put any of what you're "allergic" to in the food. It's a bit of a lie, but it works!

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
Ring up the management and explain to them, whilst you may be a Vegetarian, and it's against your morals and personal beliefs, next time it could be say a person who is Jewish, and therefore eating the bacon (as it would possibly be non-kosher), that they could indeed sue for damages. And that all you want is an apology, a refund and perhaps for them to educate the waiters a little more.

C&K

Cavy Slave
Oh, I was so mad. So mad. The waiter didn't even give the soup for free or anything. He was just like, "Oh, sorry." I was so angry, we gave him a real cheap tip. I mean, it might have been a different story if I hadn't asked, and had just ordered it, but the fact that I deliberately asked him and he basically lied to me really ticks me off. He should have asked the chef! Has anyone else had something like this happen? Argh. I should have gotten the stupid salad.

I would have complained to managment, there is no way you should have had to pay for that! If it had bacon in it, and he misled you, in no way should you have to pay for it!

There are people who are actually allergic to meat, they are rare, but it does happen, it can make them really sick! As for pork bacon, 1/2 the world would be convinced they have angered whatever god they believe in, and I can't even begin to think how distressing an experiance like that would be. And for many, it is just plain offensive and puts a real damper on the day with a gross factor of about 10!

And "I'm sorry" does not cut it. I would not have left any tip, and would have demanded it removed from the bill.

I remember once, working as a waitress years ago, a lady wanted to order some sort of chicken sandwhich, but she needed to be sure it contained no peppers. I asked the kitchen, and the cook said it did not. Well, apparently the salsa did, and the lady really wigged out on me. I appologised, and removed it from her bill, I think I gave her something else free of charge, but she was so pissed! (Not that i really blame her) She claimed that even the smallest amount of pepper would give her a huge headache. My question is, she knew it had salsa on it, what salsa does not contain some amount of pepper, now that I think of it?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
TheQueen said:
So, we went out to eat, and I ordered some pasta, with soup instead of salad. I deliberately asked the waiter if the Pasta E Fagioli soup had meat in it or if it was chicken/beef based. I know that usually that soup doesn't contain meat, but I wanted to be sure. He said, "No, it doesn't have any meat in it.
Was this The Olive Garden by any chance? They are well known for lying about their "vegetarian" items. The Pasta E Fagioli is loaded with meat and the Ministrone is made with Chicken stock (even though last time I went into an O.G. is said right on the menu it was vegetarian).

My sister who is a vegetarian had something similar happen to her (not in an O.G.). She was told a dish was vegetarian, she thought she tasted bacon in it. The waiter swore there was none. There was a Muslim man sitting at the next table who offered to taste her food because he would know for certain if there was bacon as it is against his religin to eat pork of any kind. He tasted it, spit it out and atested to the precense of bacon. My sister made quite a fuss (with the help of the Muslim man) and got her meal free.

C&K

Cavy Slave
next time it could be say a person who is Jewish, and therefore eating the bacon (as it would possibly be non-kosher),

There is no such thing as Kosher pork. Both Jews and Muslims are not allowed to eat any form of pig. There are other religions based out of India and Asia that are completely vegetarian. (Buddhists and Sikhs are two that come to mind)

Faunn
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

TheQueen

Cavy Slave
VoodooJoint said:
Was this The Olive Garden by any chance?

Nope, it's called Mirella's, I'm pretty sure it's locally owned and operated. But you're kidding about the minestrone not being veg! I always order it (not that I go there a lot, but still)! Why would they say it was vegetarian? Why does it need chicken broth? Who makes minestrone that isn't veg? Ugh. Why can't we just have food, without all this other stuff added in?

Anyways, off of my mini-rant, I'm definitely going to complain and suggest they be a bit more decisive with their menu.

LobsterOverlord

Cavy Slave
The Red Lobster I worked at a few years ago was strongly against the wait staff telling anyone anything without checking with the cook and the manager.

They'd had an incident where a woman ordered a lobster rockefeller without bacon, stating that as a muslim, she could not have the pork. The cook merely removed it from the pre-prepped dish rather than having the line make a new one.

She sued and won $26,000.

Because of this (it happened before I worked there) I am very conscious of it in my work place. We have a lot of muslims and hindi that come through, and I make sure that for even the smalled 'no meat' request, that the crewers change their gloves before making it.

There is almost nothing at any of the Darden Rests. that is actually vegetarian on the menu. (that being R.L, O.G., Bahama Breeze and Smokey Bones).

John M>

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
TheQueen said:
you're kidding about the minestrone not being veg!
Wish I was kidding.

I worked at an Olive Garden for years. I was cross trained as just about everything as I ran the office. I did all of the Managers' work and they just signed their names. Besides running the office I was also trained as a waitress/hostess/bartender/pasta chef/line cook/prep cook.

Their Minestrone comes from a can and the label clearly states chicken broth as an ingrediant. Last time I was there I saw the "vegetarian" listing in the menu and asked for the manager to go and check the can. He confirmed that it still contained chicken broth.

The italian dressing contains eggs so Vegans beware.

Red Lobster and the Olive Garden are owned by the same company.

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
I have been eatting the minestrone soup every time I go to Olive Garden with the eggplant parmasian. Now it looks like I will have to be eatting the salad ---- I am so tired of salad :(

Going out to eat is becoming more and more a thing of the past. Why is it no place is "safe"? I just hate it!

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
That's horrible. You even gave him a tip? I would have left a note saying tough luck. Definitely say you're deathly allergic, they see it as more of a potential law suit than being vegetarian and will be sure there's none in there.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
WEAVER said:
I have been eatting the minestrone soup every time I go to Olive Garden with the eggplant parmasian.
Double check what is in their red sauce. At least one of the red sauces they serve is made with meat yet is not considered a meat sauce because it has no meat "chunks" in it. It's the darker red sauce that is a bit thicker.The thinner, brighter red sauce (last I checked) was still vegetarian.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
fourbwabbys said:
That's horrible. You even gave him a tip? I would have left a note saying tough luck. Definitely say you're deathly allergic, they see it as more of a potential law suit than being vegetarian and will be sure there's none in there.
I often use the allergic line. It sends them scrambling to find the list of ingredients when I tell them that the result of me eating meat will be me lying on the floor of their restaurant choking on my own tongue.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Oh no! I can't believe the Minestrone isn't veggie. Ugh. Well I will no longer be getting anything from Olive Garden but salad and bread. Maybe a saucless veggie pizza.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.