Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi To You All Im A New Member And Need Advise

MISS HELEN WAIN

Cavy Slave
I have two guinea pigs Violet and Fi Fi. I had them together just over two months ago. I was told they were two females which they are but I was also told that they were around 8 weeks old. Violet I have now found out yesterday is now 6 months old were Fi Fi is around 4. I had to part them arounda month ago into separate cages as Fi Fi was biting Violet it has now turned out to be that Violet was indeed pregnant.

I didn't know this until Saturday morning when I awoke to 4 baby guinea pigs huddled together. I have never had guinea pigs before I just thought Violet was growing but no it was babies. I was shocked and so nervous but as the day when on I became excited. The mother Violet is brilliant so good infact last week we were cuddling playing and she never bite or anything. Monday my mate came to see how they were doing and noticed that one of hte babies Splodge had a bluey looking eye as though it could be blind, so I took them all to the vets and to my horror they have all got it. Splodge, Pip Squeak, Harriet and Smokey which I have named them have all the right eye infected and Pip Squeak both. The vet says it could be an infection but most likely they they are blind. I have been given some cream to use for a week and see how it goes then Tuesday is the dreaded day have them checked again. Im gutted it was unexpected having babies never the least them being blind or possibly blind.

Can anyone give me any advice can the guinea pigs live without their mother, will they be put down, I don't know what sex they are yet as 4 days old too young. Violet is well nothing wrong with her. Is it normal for babies to have this I have so many questions and I don't know were to start.:?:

Last edited by a moderator:

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Hi and welcome to the forum. You will want to read this thread before anything else. Please don't type in caps as it is considered shouting and is hard to read.

You should know that babies can be sexed from birth, while it is hard it is not impossible. Male babies will need to be seperated at 3 weeks. Have you sexed Fi Fi? Is she definitely a she? Perhaps the vet could have a go at sexing them for you. It is very unusual for a whole litter of babies to be blind - what colour are the babies? Are you using anything (like straw) for bedding that could have hurt their eyes?

Photos please!

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
I would not recommend separating the litter from the mother until the are at that three week mark. Like daft said you will need to separate the boys at three weeks otherwise sisters and mom will end up pregnant. Please read through all the information that daft gave you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.