Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Is plexi glass a safe alternative?

diane

Cavy Slave
My husband is always trying to help me when I get involved with things. Like when I dedcided I wanted a fish tank I drew up a design and he built me a very nice stand. Now that I have a guinea pig he wants to build me a cage. I told him about this site. He really liked the cage designs but wants to use plexi glass in place of the grids. I told him I didn't think it would allow for enough air flow. Am I right or is it safe to us plexi glass? I suggested that he could make the coroplast part out of the plexi glass with 5 or 6 inch walls. This I think would be a safe way to use plexi glass.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Plexiglass is fine. It's heavy, hard to work with and brittle (could break if you move the cage) but there is no health or safety reason not to use it.

Just don't build the sides higher then 6 inches. The side against the wall can be taller to keep the bedding from getting kicked against the wall but the sides open to the room must be low.

cavyinhawaii

Cavy Slave
I am working on a cage with a separation in the middle and was considering making it out of plexiglass(the separation in the middle not the whole cage). Let me know how it works. I thought it would be nice boy and girl can see each other but not touch.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
It is just fine for your boy and girl to touch. Unlike dogs, cavies will not back up to a fence and get pregnant. they should be able to socialize with touch and smell. Why not neuter your boar so they can be together?

About the Plexiglas. It is fine as long as you are making the dimensions of a C&C or else you will still be making a very long aquarium! You must have good air circulation.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.