Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

rabbits for adoption on petfinder.com

messie47714

Cavy Slave
I just posted the rabbits for adoption on petfinder.com. :important My oldest cleans the room and cages, my middle one gets water and is suppose to refresh the litter daily, and the youngest is suppose to feed them. It is a battle everyday. I get up check their food and water before work almost alway give them some in the A M just to make sure they do get feed and remind them with a call home on my breaks. I have to force them to allow them time to run (but I have to vacuum Waaah! You all wanted them>( ) I am currently trying to develope C&C cages for them so they well be happier and get to move around at will. I will be moving them outside if my brain can figure out how to build an outdoor indoor condo so cleaning is not so much of a battle:crazy: . We have icy winters here and hot summers but if I do it right they can live outside. Financially that is a long time off. So if you have the funds and love please take a look.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I'm going to make this short because your post really upset me.

-No, outside is not a good place for them. "icey winters and hot summers"? How would you possibly make outdoor houseing comfortable. Then on top of it there is still predators, insects, parasites and disease.

-You are the adult and responsible for their care. Do not blame your children. I don't care if they "wanted them". You are the adult and ultimately responsible. If you did not want to care for them then they should not have been aquired in the first place.

-the rabbits getting out 1-2 hours every other day from their small cages is not enough.

messie47714

Cavy Slave
This is not so short an answer. Sorry if you got upset. You obviously read my post with an attitude. I thought of all places to help find a home this would be it. Please take the chip off your shoulder and read it a again.
1. (but I have to vacuum Waaah! You all wanted them>() was in reference to what I tell the kids; angry face is in the ( ) for the kids. I am sure other readers have all experienced this. DUH! You get a pet and you better be willing to acknowledge the fact that you will be taking care of it. The dog was adopted for my husdband ("I promise I will take care of her I always wanted a Shepherd"- I knew good and well I would be the one house training her. She fellows me around and is currently laying under the desk. 3 yrs old ) I get up at 430 - 5 am get ready for work. I start with the bunny room and give them food and water and work my way through the piggies, cats, and dogs.
2. I get up check their food and water before work almost alway give them some in the A M just to make sure they do get feed (type err should be fed) refers to the few times I get up late.
I will be moving them outsideif my brain can figure out howto build an outdoor indoor condo so cleaning is not so much of a battle:crazy: .
Oh and the comment about it being a Long Way Off. First I am aware of the fairy tale-ness of this statement and it was submitted as a piece of humor, see the silly face. Try not to read someone's post and start attacking them. [I have been pushing for a patio room on the back big enough for the computer, Easy Rider, GPs and the rabbits. A contained garden area with a small fountain and run area where the ground is securely fixed so the rabbits or pigs can't get out. AH pipe dreams. Where is Ed McMann when you need him? (again this is humor)]
4. "there is still predators, insects, parasites and disease." I pay for pest control and vet service! One would have to with my petting zoo. Currently having the start of a flea issue since the rescue of 3 little kitten 2 weeks or so ago. Tring to coordinate Vet flea service for 2 dogs, 3 cats, 3 kitten if healthy enough, 2 pig (if possible) and 3 bunnies (again if possible), paycheck and Terminix is not so easy. I better hurry up they have short life spands but multiple fast.
"the rabbits getting out 1-2 hours every other day from their small cages is not enough." The current exercise time is minimally 1-2 hour per bunny ei. Britney and Thorne Mon.:Thorne and Bob Tues.: Bob and Britney Wed. etc. This is the minimum most days it is all of them getting to play. The boys can not play together anymore because they fight and the opposite sex thing would also be bad. They have things to jump over, through and around-run crazy. When vacuumed up the youngest plays in the room. Good gravy my youngest is 6 years old and we moved her bed into our room and the 2 older ones (10 and 16) share a room. The bunnies have the room for themselves. Even if it started out because of the kids think the room is hauted. I have the computer set up right outside the door and let them run in the room. I just like watching them have fun not just laying there. GPs are in the living room now so in the evening when they are more active I can enjoy them too.
6. Did you over look the part about the C&C cages? I will be increasing the cages with each biweekly paycheck. I just thought that if someone responded to the petfinder ad they we be happier faster. Until I found this website I thought I was doing good by them in their medium size cages. I am only guilty of trusting the pet store sells persons advice. I want to do right buy them now that I know I was niave. I love the photo gallery and cage ideas. My primary objective now is to get a new set of shelves each pay period increasing their personal space.

I more than likely will be to afraid to let them go somewhere else not knowing if the would be cared for. I gave one away and it is driving me crazy. (I had four) I do not know who to trust.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Your original post was at best missing quite a bit of information to make any of your meaning clearer than mud.
1)Your little "Waah!" statement was not obviously something you would say to your children, no matter if you put it in parentheses and added an angry face after it or not.
2)Whether or not you're getting up late, you should be the primary care giver, or if you want your kids to be responsible, wake them up and make them feed the rabbits.
3)Your original post mentioned nothing about an enclosed patio room, and we're not mind readers to know how you want to remodel your house. When you mention an indoor/outdoor condo, what that typically means is an outdoor cage that can be brought indoors. Since you mentioned the "icy winters and hot summers" that further reinforces that picture of the situation.
4)"there is still predators, insects, parasites and disease." was referring to outside. You can call Terminix all you want, but that's not going to stop a cat, bird, or bugs if the cage is outside. Once again, you didn't mention a patio room in conjunction with the indoor/outdoor condo.
5/6)Until you get proper size cages for them, you NEED to make sure they get more time out of those cages. Working to build them larger cages is great, but until then you need to make other arrangements for them not to be cooped up except for 1-2 hours daily or every other day.

Regardless of all of that, if you want to find homes for your rabbits, you really need to provide more information. My apologies if the answers are already posted in other threads
a)What sex is each of the rabbits?
b)How old is each rabbit?
c)Have they been neutered and/or spayed? I'm assuming not since you mentioned the fighting and that having both sexes together would be bad.
d)Do you have pictures of the rabbits?

Don't assume that anyone can tell if you are joking online or think that a dumb cartoon face is going to get your point across or clarify anything. Ideally, we wouldn't have them at all, so people would have to think more about their choice of words and maybe try a little harder to be understood.

messie47714

Cavy Slave
I was attacked for letting you know I posted on petfinder.com. I have seen other strings that if clarification was needed it was asked for. I am not stupid - I know the comment about peditors was for outside. yes terminix is treating the shed for rodents. No this was not the outside home I have thought about. I quess the biggest problem was the immediate attack about the inside/outside home. Sorry!!!!! To clarify ---if Ed McMann stops buy with a million dollars The thought of building a seperate luxury home with an outdoor run(covered of course) would be great. Not some stupid little hutch. Hince my reference to an outside inside cage. It like everytime Jeff comes home from Home Depot he talks about transforming a large shed into his no girls allowed space.
Sorry I posted the adoption reference ..I thought it would be a good idea. You all seemed to care about the animals as much as I do and this sight is so packed with great information that I did not know.
Others be warned your not allowed to let them know you are looking to rehome a pet without being attacked.
5/6)Until you get proper size cages for them, you NEED to make sure they get more time out of those cages. Working to build them larger cages is great, but until then you need to make other arrangements for them not to be cooped up except for 1-2 hours daily or every other day. Thank you. I did ask this question in an other string and was told I was doing good and to hurry up with the larger cages. That is what I am doing. First everone is getting a 4X 2. Then the bunnies will get a 2nd level then the pigs. Then the fancy stuff. First Goal MORE ROOM!!!
Don't assume that anyone can tell if you are joking online or think that a dumb cartoon face is going to get your point across or clarify anything. Ideally, we wouldn't have them at all, so people would have to think more about their choice of words and maybe try a little harder to be understood.
Your right I assumed ... I assumed the statement was totally ridiculous and would be taken as such especially with the crazy face. The other stuff -the patio or the luxury bunny house- is even a bigger fantansy. You have pets and you have cleaning issues, right? I will try to refrain from humor in the future.
Whether or not you're getting up late, ...I said I call on my breaks to remind them. Did not realize I had to post the time too - that would be at 815 am, 11 -12, and 130 pm.
I shall be more careful with my wording in the future. Just please stop attacking people. Again I will probably keep them for fear of how they are being taken care of.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
You weren't attacked for saying you posted the rabbits on petfinder. Actually, I'm not sure where you were attacked at all. Your original post was incredibly unclear and raised a lot of red flags for everyone, so comments were made hopefully to get some clarification. So far the only attitude has been yours.

messie47714

Cavy Slave
??How does one communicate this way??
The original post was only suppose to let bunny lovers know there were new adoptee at petfinder. The rest was taken incorrectly by the reader's fears. It did say I was working on building the C&C cages so they can be happier and move around at will. I have no attitude --I am hurt. Hurt that VoodooJoint would insinuate I am an irresponsible parent and pet owner.
I read my original and my second entry. I suppose it does depend on ones mood at the time they read it. Because when I read the Waah it is punctuated with the compliant about vacuuming followed with my stern reminder that they wanted them.
I admited till the day I was given directions to this site I was lacking in some important GP and rabbit information. Each entry seemed clear enough that I am getting bigger cages as a priority. When I purchased the bunnies, before this site, I made sure to follow the advice of the all knowing Pet Food Center employee. A $150 purchase that would have gone alot further with the cubes! Ouch!
On the same subject of interpretation according to moods-when I typed "Sorry!!!!! To clarify ---if Ed McMann stops buy with a million dollars The thought of building a seperate luxury home with an outdoor run (covered of course) would be great. Not some stupid little hutch." This definitely rangs of attitude and for that I am sorry. I did chose my words carefully at the time but was not to proud of my choices after I re-read it.
I apologized for the miscommunication which led to you thinking I was talking about tossing the rabbits into the backyard. Although I am not sure how else to refer to it in a humorous way- here is one - A VIP Guest House for the bunnies. Would that have been clearer? No attitude or malice meant please. I just love the site so much and am trying to learn how to talk with you without getting labeled.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
I think the bottom line is that rehoming isn't a humorous subject so none of us were expecting to try and interpret your post in humorous manner. Many of us have had to deal with parents dumping their pets in shelters because their kids would not take care of them. I just recently rescued one from such a fate. And as it has been said, children are not developmentally ready to be truly responsible for another life form. Most teenagers aren't. But it is too late and you have too much on your hand and need to rehome. Just don't try and make light of the situation, because it will come across wrong on the internet.

In these serious cases it is best to mean what you say and say what you mean. For example, "I am sorry to say that I have taken on more than I can handle. I need to rehome my rabbits. They will be well taken care of by me until I can find them a home where they will be properly taken care of. I am trying to do the best I can with them now, but I truly do not have the capacity to take care of them in the way I know they should. If you are interested, they are listed on petfinder.com (insert link to listing). If you have any questions or are interested feel free to contact me at (insert e-mail.)"

You have to understand that on this forum we deal with a lot of creeps. When it comes to the care of an animal it is best to be straight forward and not play around, even if you have the best intention. This way misunderstanding are avoided.

messie47714

Cavy Slave
Thank you PiggieMom for your non degrading response. I can imagine there would be creepy or just not informed owners or people. Your wording is close to what I almost posted. I was trying to avoid being sent on a guilt trip so I posted 1) they were up for adoption 2) and to let you know I would be increasing the cage sizes as priority but if someone else could do it faster they would be happier sooner.
I know I am not the only person in the world to have family promise to take care of a pet and not. The resposible person understands they will take care of it. Either by daily deligation or on their own. I am responsible. I am also just nuts about animals. I have since removed the ad from petfinder because I am getting weirded out with some of the emails. (it takes a day or so to delete from the site)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.