Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

July 2006

Achatina

Cavy Slave
This month have take the life of many of our pigs =( Its hot and they wasnt 100% healthy/old

July 3

Moon Key's Poco Loco (Rex, de White)
He died after being sick a while Become 4years old i think...

July 8

Moon Key's Newton (Rex, Orange agouti)
The grey one in the picture is most likly the next one to die now

Still July 8

Duettens Korchka (Teddy, Golden agouti/golden/white)
He had been sick the whole winter

July 10

Moon Key's Donna (Rex, cinnamon agouti/white)

Today, July 15

Moon Key's Tosca (Nonself cinnamon argente)
All the other ones was my moms piggies, but Tosca was mine =(

Hope no one will die more now =(

Lucy99

Cavy Slave
I would be interested to see your cages for all of your guinea pigs.

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
You mentioned that they all have been sick a long time... Do you happen to take them to the vet??

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I'm not surprised you are losing so many. You keep them outdoors, overcrowded, small cages, lack of vet care and they are probably weakend by breeding.

If you are looking for sympathy, I can't speak for everyone, but I have none to offer you. My condolances to your animals though.

Achatina

Cavy Slave
VoodooJoint said:
I'm not surprised you are losing so many. You keep them outdoors, overcrowded, small cages, lack of vet care and they are probably weakend by breeding.

If you are looking for sympathy, I can't speak for everyone, but I have none to offer you. My condolances to your animals though.

o_O No i keep them indoors most of the time, pretty pig cages, veterinarians doesnt know anything about piggies atleast out vets don't do it, and most of them who have died havnt been breed with at all. So no :mad:

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
The cages in your pictures looks disgustingly filthy and small. As a pet owner/breeder it is your responsibility to find a vet that knows everything there is to know about guinea pigs. There is nothing you can say that would make me believe that you are properly caring for these pigs. You can't just let them die and put it off to the heat. Especially when you guess "this one will die next". If you have a hunch then that pig better damn well be on his way to an experienced exotics vet. There is no reason to let them die "because of the heat".

jump it

Cavy Slave
You go Piggie Mom! *I agree with them* Can't you take a simple picture of your cages so we atleast have some proof??? As your bio says:
Biography:
A swedish girl that love to take photos of her pets :p

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
Why are they in tubs? I hope to god that is not a lid I see on one of the pictures. Please tell me you do not shut it.

How do you take care of 37 adult pigs? What are your cages like?

Last edited by a moderator:

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Obviously, I'm not advocating breeding, but WHY would you even begin to consider doing anything that risky with animals if you didn't have a doctor that knew how to care of them? Would you risk being pregnant, assuming planned pregnancy which breeding is, if you didn't have a qualified obstetrician?

I was wondering the same thing about the lid shown with that tub Howie.

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
Keeping them in tubs is completely unacceptable and neglectful. No wonder they are dying. If you have larger cages then what is the purpose in having tubs?

jdomans

Cavy Slave
If they are indoors then why is it too hot? You must be awfully uncomfortable yourself! I can't look at those faces anymore. The thoughts that are running through my head. Poor poor precious things.

Achatina

Cavy Slave
VoodooJoint said:

Btw... :eye-poppi Piggies that live outdoors live longer healthyer life so i can't really se a problem with that? o_O

I think btw most of you think of a breeder as a "puppymillfarm", that is very rare here o_O And no we don't have them in "tubes" open cages, homebuild. And about the breeding, if they are going to be breed with, the females get pregnant 6-7months of age.. And get a maximum of 2 litters a year.
We have more males than females so it is not like a baby explotion. And many of the pigs are old. I know this isnt a breeding forum :p But I have just said i was a breeder and got a whole army of forumppls angry comments. That is not a good welcome really.
I wonder one thing.. Is everyone here against pig showing to? :eek:ptimist: Petclass?

I came to this forum to get in touch with guinea pig ppl in other countries, but i guess i was wrong :sorry: It is a forum for ppl who can't let other have their own opinions... I guss i have to leave :cool:

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Yes everyone is againt showing. It is a stressful situation that you shouldn't put a pig though. Did you read anything before joining this forum? It is plastered everywhere: PRO-RESCUE, ANTI-BREEDING, ANTI-SHOWING. (broken link removed)

And no guinea pigs that live outside do NOT live longer happier lives. They are forced to suffer through the elements, the heat, the cold, wind, rain, snow, sleet, bugs, predators, and disease. Did you even know that a guinea pig if taken care of usually lives between 6 and 10 years?

Breeding kills. Period. I have posted two different rescues in Sweden on your introduction thread. There IS an overpopluation problem. By breeding you ARE contributing to it. You risk the lives of your pigs, which is evident by the pigs you have already killed just this month. You also condemn the pigs in those shelters to be homeless or be put to death because you need to make a quick buck by exploiting the lives of another living being. If you cannot understand this, and cannot even open your mind to taking the proper care of your pigs, I will not be sad to see you go.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
This is a forum for people who are against breeding and showing of pets. It is stated all over the place. It is not a secret. You knew this and you came in and announced to us that you breed.
The name of this forum is Cavy Cages and you show us your guinea pigs in plastic containers!
There are plenty of sites for breeders, people who have their guinea pigs outside, and have them in small cages. Nobody forced you to join this forum. You came here with no interest in improving the lives of your pigs.
If living outside is so great, why are your pigs dead from heat?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Achatina said:
Btw... Piggies that live outdoors live longer healthyer life so i can't really se a problem with that?
Research has proven the opposite to be true. Please don't spread misguiding and idiotic information here.

Achatina said:
I know this isnt a breeding forum :p But I have just said i was a breeder and got a whole army of forumppls angry comments. That is not a good welcome really.
I wonder one thing.. Is everyone here against pig showing to? :eek:ptimist: Petclass?
If you know this isn't a breeding forum then why did you feel the need to talk about breeding? Honestly you are making no sense. Did you expect a bunch of rescue oriented people to tell you how wonderful you are for breeding?

and a big fat YES we are against showing. I don't know what you mean by pet class but it it's the showing of pet quality animals then we are against that too.

Achatina said:
I came to this forum to get in touch with guinea pig ppl in other countries, but i guess i was wrong It is a forum for ppl who can't let other have their own opinions... I guss i have to leave
If you want to leave then just go. You can have your opinions all you want but you are not going to get to talk about your breeding, showing and selling of animals on this forum. Nor wll you be allowed to give bad advice or poor information.

If you stay stop using so many of those annoying smilies in your posts. They are not meant to be used as punctuation or decoration.

PinkGrass

Cavy Slave
Argh. *scratches out the details of the breed and hair-type after each dead pig picture.* Even in death, you only care about what breed they were?

Achatina said:

I came to this forum to get in touch with guinea pig ppl in other countries, but i guess i was wrong :sorry: It is a forum for ppl who can't let other have their own opinions... I guss i have to leave :cool:

First off, you're welcome to have your own opinions, but this site is PAID for by a person who runs a rescue. This is her site, and it's her right to say what is and is not acceptable. You don't go on to a private Anti-Breeding forum to talk about breeding. This forum is intended to teach you about correct guinea pig care, and to help those who are looking to take better care of pigs. If you are here for that reason, stay. If you're only here to brag about your breeding, leave. Please read what this site has to offer about breeding. Maybe then you'll consider what you are putting your pigs through. Although you may have your opinions, this place is here to offer you a better life for your pigs, if you are willing to keep an opened-mind. And breeding and showing are not for the well-beings of your pigs. It's for yourself.

I'm very sorry that you have lost so many pigs this month. But, it's your responsibility to take care of every pig you (or your mom) own. You are obviously in over your head with 37 pigs (my god), none of which will ever see a vet or recieve the proper attention and love it needs.

I feel this is a complete mockery to those devoted members who have done everything they can to try and save the life of a dying pig. And here you are with 5 dead piggies, 2 of which you knew were sick for months, and another one that you know is currently sick... and your'e asking us to hold a memory of a pig in our minds when it was just a breed and pet class to you.

I do give out my sympathy to the pigs.

PiggieMom said:
Breeding kills. Period. I have posted two different rescues in Sweden on your introduction thread. There IS an overpopluation problem. By breeding you ARE contributing to it. You risk the lives of your pigs... ...You also condemn the pigs in those shelters to be homeless or be put to death because you need to make a quick buck by exploiting the lives of another living being.

I just wanted to quote that again for importance. PM hit it dead on. Oops. No pun intended.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.