Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New here for sad reason

mamax6

Cavy Slave
I'm new to this forum, found you guys last night.

My family adopted 2 cutie cavy's (Chip and Oreo) almost 2 months ago. On Weds. night I noticed that Chip was breathing kinda funny. I thought if she wasn't any better in the morning I'd call the vet. Next day we had them both out of the cage and they seemed happy. Chip is the outgoing, adventurer and Oreo is shy and cuddly. Oreo was a bit more whiny and I figured it was becase we weren't getting them out as much as we should because of our summer schedule. Anway, they seemed fine and the breathing issue wasn't there. Later that day my daughter found Oreo (not Chip) dead. :confused:

I felt just awful and I didn't know what could have happened. We made an appointement for Chip today to make sure whatever it was that killed Oreo wasn't contagious and went online to find help. Discovered to our great regret that some of the advice we had received (like cat litter in the cages) is not only bad, but possibly deadly too! Turns out that Chip does have an upper-respitory infection and we're treating that now.

We got Chip and Oreo for free from a seasoned owner (they were moving and couldn't take them) along with the cage. I had been thinking about getting (or making) a bigger cage for them because it seemed to my newby eye's that the one we got was way too small for two cavy's but was putting it off until the summer settled down. Now I wish I had done it a month ago, just for peace of mind if nothing else.

I'm so glad to have found this site I just wish I wasn't at Oreo's expense. I have learned so much info. in just one day that my head is spinning.

I do have another question that brings me here, but I'll ask it on the general cavy chat board.

Deborah

katiecavyNC

Cavy Slave
Welcome - I saw your post on the other thread. You are at the right place to find out all the good info you need to make your GPs happy!

The main thing now is to look ahead and do the best you can for Chip - a bigger cage is a great place to start. Definately use something else for bedding - there are lots of ideas in the bedding and hay forum category.

As you have realized, cat litter is a big no-no.

Anyway, welcome aboard! I'm sure you'll learn a lot here and now have a place to come for good advice.

Queenia

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry that Oreo died. I really am.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I'm sorry for you loss. Oreo would thank you if he could that you were so crushed by his death that you set yourself to making things batter for Chip. Many others would have simply shrugged their shoulders and gone out to get a new GP.

People make mistakes. The smart people, like you, learn from them. I'm sure you will never allow something like this happen again if you can possibly prevent it. You have now gotten yourself to the right place to learn all you will need to know about GPs.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
Welcome, I'm sorry to hear about Oreo and you really are doing the best for Chip now.

Fire Cracker

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the form! I'm SO sorry for your loss, but at least you learned from it. I am sure you will find all you need to know here to make your pig healthy and happy. I am glad you found us!!

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Welcome and I know you will find so much information to change Chip's life around. If you didn't care you wouldn't be here.

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum. I am sorry for your loss.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
I am very sorry for your loss, but welcome to the forum. You will find tons of great info here.

JennG

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry for your loss but like VoodooJoint stated, at least you can make things right for Chip. Hang around here and you'll get some great advice and helpful tips. Good luck.

mamax6

Cavy Slave
Just wanted to update everyone that Chip is doing so much better. I didn't realize how sick she was until she got better - I am learning so much from her. She even has a little round belly (she was the skinny Cavy of the two). As you might imagine, now that she's an only-child she's being quite spoiled. I hope she'll be able to deal with a new companion after all this attention.

Thanks for the warm welcomes

Deborah

twinkies

Cavy Slave
Sorry for your loss of Oreo. I am glad to hear that Chip is doing so much better, And in my words, you can't spoil a piggy too much! Mine are so spoiled!❤️

C&K

Cavy Slave
I am sorry for your loss, at least it was not totally in vain, I am sure you will be a much better cavy mom now!

The previous owner may have been a long term cavy owner, but not exactly "seasoned" with the right stuff if you know what I mean! Glad to hear of the plans for a bedding change and larger cage!

Are you thinking about getting Chip a new friend when she is feeling better?

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum, I found this site after a pig I got had a baby and I didn't know she was even pregnant. In the short few weeks I've been here I've learned SO much from everyone. It's amazing how you can get a pet and have no clue how to care for it and are at the mercy of others opinons or "advice." Now I know several places I can look to do research of my own and see what it really the best option for everything. If you need anything or have questions just ask, the members here are more than happy to help with just about anything you might have come up. They love to share links to sites too that have the information so it's not just them telling you, you can read it for yourself.

I'm sorry to hear about Oreo's passing, but I'm sure that you've learned what not to do and sometimes that is the best experience. Not that losing Oreo is in any way a good thing. I hope Chip is feeling better soon and gets a nice playmate.

mamax6

Cavy Slave
C&K said:
Are you thinking about getting Chip a new friend when she is feeling better?

We plan on getting her a friend after we return from vacation. I'm thinking I won't introduce her to her new cage until then either. That way it will be "neutral" ground (at least thats my thinking). She's getting loads of time out of the cage (snuggling and running around), but I'm anxious to get to work on a bigger home. We have one of those big sectional couches that she loves running behind.

I was able to get the name and number of a local lady who does rescue. I think I"ll call her in the next day or so at least to find out what she has and if there is a good fit for Chip.

Deb

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.