PDA

View Full Version : Advice on updating C&C cage

Lydia
07-13-06, 10:16 am
Hello everyone! I'm pretty new here, and although not a piggie-mom, I am a hedgie-mom! Our 4 boys have been in various re-incarnations of C&C cages for the last 1 1/2 years (and they're so much better than the other only "good" option for hedgies - sterlite container cages!) and I'm getting ready for a new update to better suit their needs. Now I do understand that obviously they're not the same as GPS, but they do have many similar needs in terms of housing, so I'm hoping to get some feedback and input from all of the C&C experts here! :)

I have only got one (bad) picture of our current set-up. Since male hedgies cannot be housed together, we have 4 seperate layers of cage in our current "condo complex". Each layer is a base of 2x3 with a 1x2 layer at the back, a ferret "funnel" connecting the top to the bottom layer, and a litter pan in the square around their wheel. Ace apparently broke his last night - silly guy.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/Alethia-LM/IMG_1483.jpg
This pic is from this morning and shows the dissaray after a night of wheeling and tunneling under vellux bedding. The white cords on the left are for heating pads, which are under the coroplast in the back corner of each boy's cage. This is due to hedgies needing extra warmth to protect them from going into hibernation and possibly dying. I realise that we don't have high sides, bit that's now and will change with our next version (v 3.0 hehehe). That's Bo with his overturned mini pigloo having some major red-eye. All the other boys have gone back to bed for the day, but Bo's still up going like a mad man! :heart:

What I've been thinking of doing was to use the whole opposite wall to create a much longer/skinnier version of this cage... like a 1x8 or so... I know that for cavies this isn't the best since they need lots of room to do laps, but hedgies tend to prefer to run on their wheels all night and do the occasional lap... and they're maybe only 1/2 to 2/3 the size of a cavy.

This would allow for a better view of the natural lighting in this particular room, more energy expended for them to get from one end to the other (good for burning calories since they're so prone to becoming/being obese) and easier viewing of them for us (to make sure everyone's healthy - not for our amusement). Our set-up has its own C&C base, and I'm planning to elevate it by one level so that they're further off the ground.... thus making it 6 squares high.

I'd love to hear feedback and ideas... thanks for any thoughts. And as a gratuitous pic, here's Luke helping me upload pics!
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b277/Alethia-LM/Lukeonmousepad.jpg

jdomans
07-13-06, 10:11 pm
I hate to be so slow but I am completely lost on your cage. I see and understand the 2 x 3. That is for each hog right? Where is the are the 1 x 2s then? So now you are thinking of having the boys all side by side? You say a 1 x 8. How is that divided? Or are you saying a 1 x 8 on each level? So a 4 level 1 x 8 vs a 4 level 2 x 3?

Again, i am a bit lost here.

PinkGrass
07-14-06, 02:47 am
I kinda like the way you have it now! It looks organized.

I also didn't know male hedgies couldn't be house together. That's a lot of trouble to go to for 4! I commend your devotion. They are so cute. :3

EDIT: Nevermind- I was also confused about what dimensions you were doing.. If you're doing a 1x8x4, then yeah. That would be big and fun for them. :)

Sviega
07-14-06, 04:55 am
I've not had my cage that long but already I am thinking of ways to change it. Ways to make it bigger even though it is too large for the space I have it in now and I have our TV partially blocking the door to the kitchen.

Those cubes are sort of like LEGOS for pet owners. How many ways can you arrange them?

I'm trying to make a cage shapped like the Statue of David. I started at the bottom and I'm working up. For some strange reason I can't get above the waist. The pigs obviously like the rectangle better. I may have to switch from Michaelango to Picasso. Man of La Mancha here I come!!!!!:eye-poppi

Perhaps I should forget the fine art, and just try to make a cage shaped like the trolley car in Harry Potter, or the Hogwarts Express!!! Yah, I can have little Malfoys looking out the tower. Dumbledore chews. Parapets and a dungeon area would be cool too. Potter cage here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WEAVER
07-14-06, 06:45 am
I personally really like your current cage and think you put a whole lot of thought into it. The problem with you going longer and more narrrow is you are than going to need support beams. With your cage only being a 1x that is not going to give your guys much room to get around them. It is also going to take up A LOT more room than your current cage. You may want to rethink your new cage, it really seems like your current cage fits their needs better.

By the way Luke is a cutie!!!!

Lydia
07-14-06, 09:45 am
I hate to be so slow but I am completely lost on your cage. I see and understand the 2 x 3. That is for each hog right? Where is the are the 1 x 2s then? So now you are thinking of having the boys all side by side? You say a 1 x 8. How is that divided? Or are you saying a 1 x 8 on each level? So a 4 level 1 x 8 vs a 4 level 2 x 3?

Again, i am a bit lost here.

Sorry - I know this is a bit confusing... each boy has his own level. Each level is based on a 2deep by 3long configuration. On the rear/left side of each level, there is a 1deep by 2long second level. They reach that by going up the funnels on the left side. There is one vertical support cube piece just left of their wheels; holding up the second level. I used over 300 zap straps to reinforce the whole structure.... by hands were raw and so sore after getting it all done! :yuck:

What I was thinking of doing was that instead of having it 2deep and 3long with the second level (therfore 8 cubes of space) to have it 1deep and 8long... still giving 8 cubes of space, but just longer. Weaver - you make a good point about support though... hmmm... We used to have them in a 4level 1deep by 4long set up, with a second level along 2 squares and it worked pretty well... the only spot that seemed tippy was the fact that it was so tall that it seemed to wobble back and forth. Could this be addressed by having some way of attaching it to the wall?

Thanks for the feedback so far! :)