Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Seb died

Lucy99

Cavy Slave
Just horrible, I have just got home from burying my dog Seb. He died out on a walk with my dad, he had some kind of a stroke and fell down the side of a mountain, my dad tried to rescue him, and stayed with him for 3 hours while my godfather tried ringing for help. He couldn't get through to anyone (I had forgotten my mobile) and no-one else was answering either - I can't believe it, my baby is gone!

SugarSpice

Cavy Slave
Im so sorry for your loss . Sometimes their time is just up and we have no control over it , You are in my thoughts .

jdomans

Cavy Slave
OMG Lucy!!! How terrible. How old was Seb? How is your dad? I know he must be upset.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry Lu! We're here for you if you need to talk. :hug:

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry! It's hard when it's that sudden. RIP Seb

Neville's dad

Cavy Slave
So sorry to hear that. I know we do not know each other but I feel your pain. As a dog lover and companion, I have three girls now having lost my oldest, Teisha to cancer last year. Bless your dad for having tried so hard.

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I am so very sorry over your tragic loss.

Lucy99

Cavy Slave
jdomans said:
OMG Lucy!!! How terrible. How old was Seb? How is your dad? I know he must be upset.

I can barely type through tears, but Seb was only 8, I got him 5 years ago from the dog shelter. When I moved out of my parents I had always intended to take him with me, but it just wasn't fair to him. He loved my parents house as they have fields, and a river. He swam everyday in the river (he was a lab) and ran everyday in the field with the horses. I couldn't take him to mine where we live in an appartment, no matter how much I missed him.

My dad is in a mess, he blames his self, he said he should never have taken him for such a long walk. The awful thing is my dad was just sat with him helplessly, he tried everything including mouth to mouth, apparently Seb came round a few times but then just gave up. Seb was such a big dog that my dad couldn't pick him up, they kept trying to get hold of me, the vet, even the fire brigade - but either people didn't answer or the signal kept cutting out. Eventually they got hold of a friend who drove straight up to help, he climbed to be with my dad, but all three of these men are well into their 60's and were just not strong enough - if only I had not forgotten my mobile phone, Kris would have been able to pick him up easily.

Piggiemom - thanks, I really do need to talk, I am in such a mess. I feel like in the past year I haven't had that much to do with Seb, due to me now having a son. I have even just noticed that I didn't have one single photo of him on my mobile - that really upset me.

Kris dug a big hole under the tree where Seb loved to sit (took him 3 hours) I brushed Seb making him look nice, dad collected flowers and I gathered his favourite toys and one of my favourite teddies (that he always tried to steal) we put that all in a box with him, but first putting down his bed so that he would be compfy, dad even put his slippers in there too. Apparently yesterday morning he had told Seb off for stealing his slippers - he felt guilty so gave them to him. Thankfully the night before we had been up to my parents for dinner (mum isn't there) and played with Seb, I had given him loads of cuddles telling him how much I love him, so that make me feel a little better - but that dog knew he was loved.

Lucy99

Cavy Slave
Thanks to everyone for their kind words.

Lydia

Cavy Slave
Oh my gosh - I'm so sorry for your loss. It's always such a tragedy when a beloved companion such as Seb passes so suddenly. Lots of long-distance hugs to you. My thoughts are with you...

CapuPebbles

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry for your loss Lucy. I hope everything is ok. Take care.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry to hear about Seb, Lucy, you will have some wonderful memories to cherish forever. RIP Seb.

Lucy99

Cavy Slave
Thanks Daftscotslass, I have just spent the eveing with my dad, talking about all the stupid things Seb used to do........I just can not believe he is gone, so suddenly aswell!

Lucy99

Cavy Slave
Just found this photo of Seb, taken last year, you can tell just how big he was.....when does it stop hurting? I just can not shake these tears off, or the huge lump in my throat.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
It will take time, you can't stop the hurting right away no matter how hard you try. When I lost my piggy (a lot smaller than a dog so I can't imagine how hard it must be with a dog) Bracken I was devestated and then started to blame myself. Don't let yourself or your dad do this. Promise! It's a phase a lot of people go through when grieving. Put away the what-ifs if you can, they won't change anything.

You have some beautiful photos and memories in your mind to remember Seb by, he certainly was a big and beautiful boy. You did exactly the right thing by talking about him with your dad - do this often, even if you cry together it's the right thing to do. Take time to yourself, too, to think about him.

And of course we're all here should you want to talk. :hug:

Lucy99

Cavy Slave
Thank you for your kind words.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
I'm so sorry Lucy. I know it is so hard to lose any animal we love so much. Just try and remember the happy times.

Put some pictures up on the wall and put her favourite things in a little memorial type box, which you can open whenever you want to feel close to her. Our family lost our 15 year old Border Collie X, Rosie, 4 years ago due to old age, kidney failure and possibly a stroke too. We have a beautiful big wooden box with roses carved into it, full of her favourite toys, her collars, tags, treat ball, half-chewed chews, pictures, tributes etc. The things which summed up Rosie. It helps to open that and remember different things about our time with her.

It might alway hurt, but you learn to cope with and reduce the pain. Time does heal. You mightn't think it now honey, I was just the same in the weeks, months even after we lost Rose. But it is so true that time helps ease pain - Rosie was the closest animal ever to me, I had grown up with her since I was born and she travelled everywhere with us, and I went through a very bad personal time in the year after we lost her, but now, although it still hurts and I still cry over her sometimes, I know she lived a happy life and she was deeply loved, which she knew all the time.

Just think of the happy time, talk about her, do whatever helps. Sending big hugs to you and your family.

Thinking of you.

Lau
xxx

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
It sounds like he had a very lovely burial. I started to choke up while reading about it. He was truly loved.

Lucy99

Cavy Slave
Thanks CCC your message did help, when I was collecting up sebs favourite things I couldn't find the first toy I bought him (my parents garden is enourmous) but when I do find it, I will but it in a box with his food dishes, collar, lead other toys left around the garden and some photos.

I had put in the football that I thought we had been playing with him the night before, but I made a mistake, as you can imagine I got really upset about that - but now my dad has put it on top of his grave.

I added a photo of his grave so you can see the time my dad took to make it look nice. I spent the day sat by his grave yesterday, with my parents dog Zizou - he is in a real mess. I did take him to see Seb when he was in the garage before we buried him, he barked and cried and nudged him as if in an attempt to wake him. He is looking VERY depressed - is there anything we can do for him, or again is it just time that will heal?

Lucy99

Cavy Slave
My dad has just been over with his dog Zizou (Seb was mine, zizou is my dads), he says he is thinking of getting another dog. He knows somebody who has something to do with Guide Dogs for the blind here in France. She apparently helps with a rescue that homes the dogs that didn't quite make it on the training to become a guide dog, the dogs are around 3 years old and are all looking for a home.

This lady (Nicole) cried her eyes out too when my dad told her what happened to Seb, she said that she would find him an extra special new companion out of her group of dogs - I think it will be good for everyone. Only problem is that we would have to take a REALLY long journey to pick him up, as her rescue is in Paris, but of course it would be worth it.

Does anyone here have any knowledge of guide dogs? Especially the ones that didn't make it?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.