Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

C&C cage on the way

Jessicah

Cavy Slave
So I've been searching for cubes all over the place, a surprisingly harder task than I thought it would be, without any success. My last hope was Costco after trying the local Target, Bed Bath Beyond, Walmart and Kmart. (I can't believe what a hard time I had finding the things!) Well, my brother headed over to Costco the other day so I asked him if he could look for some. I (thought I) had never seen them before and I had doubts.

He comes home with no luck and I think damn, that was my last hope. But then helping him carry groceries from the garage, I notice something I've never noticed before in all my life of living in my home (which sadly has been my whole life).

We had a whole shelf made out of cubes just there on the side of the garage. And on the shelf was 2 unused boxes full of more cubes and connectors! I can't believe that all this time I've been fretting about finding the cubes and they've been literally RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!

Anyway, I made a 2x4 grid cage and I'm planning on adding another level. Luckily there's a Sign-A-Rama really nearby so I'll be getting some Coroplast soon. But I have doubts about my cutting ability and so I'm wondering what the size dimensions for the coroplast should be for the 2x4 cage? :?: Do they score it for you as well as cut it? If so, does this usually cost extra as well?

Also, what should I use for the floor of the second level? I know coroplast is probably the obvious choice, but I'd like to explore my options. Is there some kind of carpeting available that's easy to clean? Or should I try fleece?

Sorry for all the questions. When I'm finished, I'll be sure to take some pictures. Right now all of my cavies are in tiny overpriced commercial cages. :sorry: Thank goodness that's changing soon.

JennG

Cavy Slave
Congrats on "finding" cubes. That sounds like something I'd do. :)

As far as cutting, someone said, "measure twice and cut once." But I've always managed to mess them up. I usually have to tape up my booboo and recut. Good luck.

As far as the 2nd level, I have a 2nd level which is the kitchen area. I have a small piece of coroplast that I blocked off a section under the hay. I have puppy pads, newspaper, aspen & carefresh in there. I then have a layer of newspaper, a towel and right next to the sectioned hay area, I put a rag rug I got from Walmart for less than a dollar. Hay doesn't stick to it like the fleece. Then I have a fleece for the rest of the kitchen area where I have their pellet dish and veggie/fruit dishes. Hopefully I've made sense. If you'd like a pic, let me know and I'll post one for ya.

spoonyspork

Cavy Slave
First off - that's hilarious about the cubes! Though I'm still finding it a bit odd that so many people are having trouble finding them. I almost want to go to the target I saw them at the other day and buy a box or 20!

Second off, let's do the math for coroplast -
2 grids = 28" + 6" extra on each side = 38"
4 grids = 56" + 6" extra on each side = 66"

So... you need a piece of coroplast at least 38" x 66" - I'd get a full sheet of 4'x8', and have a bit left over for whatever :)

The places I've gotten coro from has cut it for me, but I didn't ask about scoring, so donno. It's REALLY easy to do though! As a guide, I've discovered 4 squares in 1 grid = roughly 6"... so if you just line up the cubes and trace the line of the 4th row of squares, you end up with a perfect handy-dandy dotted line!

As for the second floor, I used to use a really thick piece of carpet with a foamy absorbant underbit, which I would vaccum, spray down with vinegar, let dry, sprinkle with baking soda, and vaccum again, about once every 2-3 weeks - it didn't need to be cleaned very often, as they hardly got it dirty up there. Problem was, it needed to be replaced every 3 months or so, which was rather expensive. Also, since there weren't walls on the sides with it, they were constantly kicking hay, food, and poos out the sides (which was why it hardly got dirty up there!).

Now I use fleece and coroplast upstairs. It needs to be fully cleaned only a little more often than the carpet did (closer to two weeks than three - though the bottom floor has to be changed every week), I don't have the poo out the sides problem any more, and to clean it I just toss it in the wash with vinegar, and baking soda laundry detergent. It takes about 12 minutes to wash and 15 minutes to dry, which I discovered today is exactly enough time to clip piggy nails and check cubes setup for defects.

Oh - must add a note: with fleece, spot clean that stuff EVERY DAY. I cannot stress this enough. I still can't get the smell of poo off my hands :eek:

Anywho, I've been long-winded enough - good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.