Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How Much Hay?

KmKrazy9

Cavy Slave
I know that we are supposed to supply our cavies with an unlimited amount of fresh hay at all times. I've always gotten my hay free from a friend. It might sound stupid, but I never found out how much he gave us so I don't know how long 9 pounds will last. So my question is: about how long does a 9 pound bag of hay last most people with 2 pigs?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
That's kind of a hard question to answer in specific terms because it will depend on how much your two pigs eat per day.

Maisiepaisie

Cavy Slave
Some pigs eat more hay than others. I had to buy more hay since I got Hazel (in my avatar pic) She eats loads of hay yet Lola never seems to eat hay.

C&K

Cavy Slave
It really is just too hard to tell. My three girls will eat 3 pounds of hay in about a week and a 1/2. So, that is a pound of hay per 10 days? So with two pigs, that would be 2 pounds for 10 days, with 9 pounds, we are looking at maybe about a month for two of them?

When I had fosters that amount would probably go twice as long, they where not so into the hay... It really depends on individual tastes I suppose!

KmKrazy9

Cavy Slave
Now that I think about it, that is really a hard question. I'm just going to have to wait and see. Jasper sits and eats it all day, Amy only munches on a few handfuls.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
My 5 pigs go through 5 pounds of hay in about 2 weeks, sometimes less.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.