PDA

View Full Version : Trip To Canadian Pet Connection

nonamian_girl
07-10-06, 06:10 pm
My sister and I took a trip to Oakville today (the whole 19 km away, haha) and I just wanted to report our findings of the store.

It's an actual store with pet supplies, not just a shipping centre like I expected. The only animal in the store was the owner's dog, a really big friendly one, possibly some sort of St. Bernard mix. I met Lorne the owner, he was a really nice guy.

I ordered 25 lbs of orchard grass, but they were out of the 25 ones, so he gave me 10% off on the 50 lbs one. It was a good deal because 50 lbs costs only $15 more than the 25 lbs one. I paid $105 for that and a 10lb bag of Cavy Cuisine. It sounds like a lot, but in the past I've paid $63 for a 9 lb box of hay alone (including having it shipped to London though), and that box has lasted me about 6 months now, so this one will last me for eternity.

In conclusion, it's a really nice store with nice owners, and it's definitely worth going there in person rather than paying for shipping.

fairysari
07-11-06, 12:28 am
Thanks for posting this! I hope I can make it there some time.

C&K
07-11-06, 10:29 am
That is really awsome! I heard they also had a frequent buyer program?

Lyndsay
07-11-06, 11:26 am
Do they have a web site? Cause I sure can't travel anywhere right now, I'm working way too much, and taking off just a few days can mean me loosing 45-50 hours of pay.

nonamian_girl
07-11-06, 11:48 am
That is really awsome! I heard they also had a frequent buyer program?

I don't know about that. Plus when I buy enough hay to last me a year, I'm not sure if that qualifies me as a frequent buyer, haha.

Do they have a web site?

They sure do, www.CanadianPetConnection.com (http://www.CanadianPetConnection.com) . You should order in bulk though, it'll work out cheaper for you since shipping is probably going to cost a lot.

Apparently they are the only Oxbow provider for all of Canada, crazy huh?

C&K
07-11-06, 09:07 pm
Apparently they are the only Oxbow provider for all of Canada, crazy huh?

No, they are not, Quebec and the East coast falls under a different company, CPC will not ship to this area, it looks like they divided the country up into their "territories" and don't step on eachothers toes!

nonamian_girl
07-12-06, 06:20 am
Wow, you've done your research! Do you plan to buy from them or did you get your farm bale yet?

C&K
07-12-06, 10:10 am
I am waiting on my farm bale, they where cutting last week, just no small bales yet (70 pounds is small??) So hopefully by next week!

I was not overly impressed with Oxbow to tell you the truth, Alice got Oats and Trixie a big box (45 pound?) when they where here, it had a lot of brown hay in it they would not touch.

nonamian_girl
07-12-06, 03:15 pm
Really, that's odd, the one I got is pure green and it made my entire garage smell great.

fourbwabbys
07-12-06, 06:01 pm
Oxbow seems to be different batch to batch. All of mine has been great smelling and nice and green, but some people have gotten a bad batch.

Percy's Mom
07-12-06, 06:37 pm
Hay seems to have been off all over lately. KM and Oxbow have both been having problems getting/keeping a reliable supply.

C&K
07-13-06, 08:45 pm
Really, that's odd, the one I got is pure green and it made my entire garage smell great.

It sounds delightful! :)

The stuff I had was nearly 1/2 brown, I like that it was not nearly as dusty as the Kaytee I have bought in the past, and the pigs seemed to gobble up the green stuff, but every night, I was left with handfuls of brown hay they would not touch!

Can't wait for my farm hay! I am soooo excited! Racheals Cavy Cove and I are both stalking him!

Rachel's Cavy Cove
07-14-06, 07:32 am
Cheers to stalking the hay guy!

My husband finally understood last night when I bought our first supply of pellets and hay and aspen. I showed him the 24oz. bag of hay and the receipt. It was $6 something for it. When I told him the hay guy is 70 lbs for $7, you would think it was Christmas morning! The man loves to save a buck!

Anway, the pigs are here in just over a week! Yeah! I don't have a digital camera but as soon as I have pics I will post them.

C&K
07-15-06, 07:24 am
I am going to see if a feed store off highway 6 has any good timothy today!

Rachel's Cavy Cove
07-15-06, 07:30 am
which part of HWY 6? Toward Caledonia or Flamborough?

Rachel's Cavy Cove
07-15-06, 07:31 am
Oops I mean Waterdown!

fairysari
07-16-06, 05:57 pm
I second the "What part of Hwy 6?" We drive on 6 on the way to Kitchener from here at least once a month, if not more often.