Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Question about hay

Sviega

Cavy Slave
Being a city girl I thought hay was a plant. You know like cabbage or Kale. You plant hay and get hay. Then I find out that isn't what it is, there is Timothy, Alfalfa, Blue Grass, Orchard grass, etc etc.

I have bought a mix of Orchard Grass and Blue Grass from Kleenmama before. My son drove me to the country to a feed store and I bought a bale of Orchard grass. I can tell there is a difference between that and the stuff I get from Kleenmama.

I've read not to feed an adult pig Alfalfa, but what is the difference between the other types of hay? Does it matter?

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Honey, hay is a plant. It is just dried out grass. Orchard grass, bermuda, Timothy are all grass hays. Anyone of those are good for your adult pigs. It really does not matter what type as long as it is a good hay. It should be fragrant and green and not have too many brown pieces.

LobsterOverlord

Cavy Slave
On a related note, about hay. Some of the outer layers of hay have been turning yellow on the bale I bought. Is there a problem feeding this to the piggies with the greener inner areas that havn't been exposed to the air?

John M>

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
The yellowed pieces will probably be tougher, and I wouldn't be surprised if your pigs reject them, but they wouldn't cause any harm. Don't give them big handfuls of it, but if some yellow mixes in with the green, you should be fine.

Sviega

Cavy Slave
BabyGrl said:
Honey, hay is a plant. It is just dried out grass. Orchard grass, bermuda, Timothy are all grass hays. Anyone of those are good for your adult pigs. It really does not matter what type as long as it is a good hay. It should be fragrant and green and not have too many brown pieces.

Oh Baby Grl, I know hay is a plant. LOL I just didn't know it was grass. That is what I meant. I thought you could buy "hay seed" like you can buy marigold seed, or tomato seed.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.