Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Foster parent

Jessicah

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone! I'm Jessica.

I don't actually own any piggies of my own, but I foster them for an animal shelter in Florence, NJ called Have a Heart Guinea Pig Rescue.

I was contacted by them after posting contact information on petfinder and am currently fostering 4 guinea pigs until they can find good homes.

These are the piggies:
(broken link removed) and the (broken link removed)

Since I've become a foster, I've become very interested in cavies and have found a lot of useful information on this website. I plan to foster for quite a while so expect me to stick around ❤️

In addition to fostering guinea pigs, I own 2 cats, a dog, and enjoy being a hermit crab hobbyist. I also have an interest in turtles although 2 have recently passed on :sad:

I'm only 17 but my goal is to become a veterinarian. Fostering guinea pigs was originally going to just be for volunteer hours, a requirement in my high school in order to graduate, but I've since grown rather attached and I'm considering adopting a few of my own.

Well, I hope it'll be a pleasure to meet all of you

Jessica

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum Jessica! It's really nice of you to take care of those pigs until they can find a home. Max is a doll.

Buggie_00

Cavy Slave
Welcome, you'll find that there are a great many helpful people here who will give you any information you need or show you were to find it yourself. It sounds like you have a good head on your shoulders. I do, however, think you're going to have to edit your post and not put your age in it. I'm pretty sure one of the moderators will give you more information on that too, but if you're under 18 they ask that you not put your age for safety reasons.

I have 3 girls at the moment, Cookie is white and rust colored, French Fry is a White and cream Abby, and Biscuit was our suprise addition who was born to Cookie 3 weeks ago and is Rust, and white, and dark brown. She's the picture I use for my avatar. I had piggies as a child but now that I'm older I care for and appreciate them so much more.

I love the idea of fostering but I think I would become too attatched and end up adopting every one I foster, maybe not. I don't have enough room at the moment to foster anyways. I have 2 kids and another on the way so space is limited.

Again welcome to the site, all the information you need is at your fingertips and if you have any questions at all just ask, I'm sure someone will be more than willing to help.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Welcome! Another New Jerseyian on the boards! One of our members just adopted from Have-A-Heart, and I looked into their adoptions before I found Eddie at the Humane Shelter.

Jessicah

Cavy Slave
Well thank you all for the kind welcomes!

After reading buggie's post, I tried to edit my post but couldn't find the edit button :eek: so if someone could kindy help me with that?

And it is kind of hard for me to accept that I'm not going to have them forever. It is so extremely difficult not to become attached. I worry that if they get adopted, the owner may not treat them well and they won't be happy. It definitely makes me want to adopt them all myself, I don't want to let them go. :(

Anyway, that's awesome that someone adopted a piggy from Have-A-Heart! There was an incident where they found 109 GPs abandoned in a parking lot during a sleetstorm :mad: , so I believe they're quite overstocked with cavies at the moment.

I really appreciate you all making me feel so welcome. Thanks again for your kind responses.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
After reading buggie's post, I tried to edit my post but couldn't find the edit button :eek: so if someone could kindy help me with that?

You can only edit your post after 10 minutes.

Anyway, that's awesome that someone adopted a piggy from Have-A-Heart! There was an incident where they found 109 GPs abandoned in a parking lot during a sleetstorm :mad: , so I believe they're quite overstocked with cavies at the moment.

Yes I know, what are they up to? 230 pigs now? It's a shame, I want to adopt a teddy from them so bad, but my parents won't let me get another.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.