Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New member, just got first pig a month or so ago

• Thread starter PiGgIeCrAzYBaBy
  • Start date

PiGgIeCrAzYBaBy

Cavy Slave
Hi! I just got my first pig about a month ago and i was searching around for toys and such and found this site. My piggie's name is Harry Potter ❤️ (after the main character in my favorite book series) and i've been keeping him in a store bought cage (in my defense i didn't know better! :p ) and thought he might like something bigger. I am thinking seriously about making him a C&C cage and i am wondering where the best place in houston is to find the coroplast (and not spend all my allowance)? and should i start with one story and then slowly add more on, or make big right at the start? Also Harry is about 7 months old and is there anything speical i should do for him since he is so young? I also have a problem with him at night, he seems to be very inactive during the day, but at night after his lap time, when i put him in his cage he runs around i circles for no apparant reason, does anyone possibly know why he does this, it makes it hard for me to sleep and even harder for me to get up for school in the morning. And is it natural for him to sleep during the day. I could also use ideas on what works good for toys and such that i can find at my house and not spend alot of money on. Really, any tips or advice is welcome, like i said he's my first piggie and i want to make sure he's as happy as can be. :cheerful: (yes, i know i have alot of questions :p )

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Welcome to CavyCages. Your guy needs a friend. GP's are herd animals and very social. I would suggest building a 2x4 C&C cage (you can add on or up later) and look to adopt a younger piggie than he is. There are members that are from Texas and they can help you with where to find what you need for supplies and a rescue. You can also go on Petfinder and put in your zipcode and it will bring up piggies in your area. Good Luck.
Ask all the questions you like. This is the best place there is for the health and happiness for your piggie.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Welcome!
I also have a problem with him at night, he seems to be very inactive during the day, but at night after his lap time, when i put him in his cage he runs around i circles for no apparant reason, does anyone possibly know why he does this, it makes it hard for me to sleep and even harder for me to get up for school in the morning. And is it natural for him to sleep during the day.

He most likely gets excited from getting your attention and that's why he's doing laps. If you adopt him a friend, he will have someone else to play with while you're not there.

As for home made toys, visit this page: https://www.guineapigcages.com/toys.htm

jdomans

Cavy Slave
In the yellow pages of your phone book, you will find the heading for sign shops. Call around, be sure to let them know you are making a guinea pig cage. Some might think you want to make your own sign and take business away from them.

I just went to the homepage and found this listing for you:
Regal Plastics
1700 Wirt Road
Houston
Texas
713-957-8541

I am sure there are tons of shops in Houston. It is a huge city.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
PiGgIeCrAzYBaBy said:
I also have a problem with him at night, he seems to be very inactive during the day, but at night after his lap time, when i put him in his cage he runs around i circles for no apparant reason, does anyone possibly know why he does this, it makes it hard for me to sleep and even harder for me to get up for school in the morning.
The problem is that he is alne all day in a room where nothing happens. You are gone and any other people in the house aren't hanging out in your room. So, he's bored and sleeps. At night you are home and so he runs about because he's excited to see you.

Here is what you can do.
-make him the bigger cage so there is more room for him to have fun in.
-get him a friend GP(same sex) to play with during the day
-move the cage to a main living area of the house so he can see what is going on

If you do these things he is much more likely to spend more time sleeping at night.

PiGgIeCrAzYBaBy

Cavy Slave
suzilovespiggie said:
I would suggest building a 2x4 C&C cage (you can add on or up later) and look to adopt a younger piggie than he is. There are members that are from Texas and they can help you with where to find what you need for supplies and a rescue. You can also go on Petfinder and put in your zipcode and it will bring up piggies in your area. Good Luck.
Ask all the questions you like. This is the best place there is for the health and happiness for your piggie.

My dad is acctually going to get the coroplast for my C&C cage today and soon i'll be getting the cubes, and i didn't know you could adopt guinea pigs, i got harry from a store, i wish i had known i could adopt.

PiGgIeCrAzYBaBy

Cavy Slave
VoodooJoint said:
The problem is that he is alne all day in a room where nothing happens. You are gone and any other people in the house aren't hanging out in your room. So, he's bored and sleeps. At night you are home and so he runs about because he's excited to see you.

Here is what you can do.
-make him the bigger cage so there is more room for him to have fun in.
-get him a friend GP(same sex) to play with during the day
-move the cage to a main living area of the house so he can see what is going on

If you do these things he is much more likely to spend more time sleeping at night.

i would move him to the living room but my parents don't want him in there because we don't have room for him there, but i could get him a friend to play with durning the day. i'm just tight on money and i don't know if i can afford to feed and care for 2 piggies, but i can do house work to make some money (too young to get a real job).

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
It really doesn't cost more to feed one more pig. The only thing is that you need to clean the cage out more frequently.

PiGgIeCrAzYBaBy

Cavy Slave
i really apprecitate all the help, thank you so much, i'm really scared i'm going to do something wrong. Also, is 7 months old for a pig or is it still quite young?

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Don't worry, if you have any quesitons, we're all here to help. 7 months is on the young side. Their lifespan is around 6-10 years.

PiGgIeCrAzYBaBy

Cavy Slave
fourbwabbys said:
It really doesn't cost more to feed one more pig. The only thing is that you need to clean the cage out more frequently.

Wow, really? because harry eats like a little piggie (no pun intended) and i thought i would possibly have to buy food more often. and would i have to buy bedding more often? (i use carefresh bedding) and is there anything better to use or is it ok? his vet said that it was good, but maybe some of you all would know if there is something better.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
You can try fleece. Once you buy it, you don't have to spend anymore, just keep re-using it. Try doing a forum search on fleece.

PiGgIeCrAzYBaBy

Cavy Slave
fleece? like the stuff used to make blankets?

PiGgIeCrAzYBaBy

Cavy Slave
thank you so much, you have been so helpful :cheerful:!!!! Oh and just to let everyone know, WE GOT HARRY'S COROPLAST!!! It's light blue and we'll be going to get the cubes from Bed, Bath, & Beyond in a few hours! i'm so excited! his cage should be done by tonight. My dad got enough coroplast to where i can give him a small (1 by 1) second level (it could probably be bigger if i had the money to get more than one set of cubes!) i hope to get some pictures of harry and his new cage some time soon. i have also taken suzilovespiggie's advice and looked on petfinder for a friend for my boy, i have found a few that i might be interested in adopting, now i just have to convice my parents to let me adopt one!

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
That's great!

SugarSpice

Cavy Slave
Wow , your doing a great job ! keep up the good work and your pig will be one happy little guy . Can't wait to see some pictures .

PiGgIeCrAzYBaBy

Cavy Slave
and i figure i could look for some fleece when we go get the cubes, i'm thinking of trying it out, just to see how it works out, i was thinking the 1 by 1 upper story could be just for hay and i thought that i might put the carefresh bedding up there, that way i can just throw everything out when i clean up there and not have to try and get the hay off the fleece.

PiGgIeCrAzYBaBy

Cavy Slave
Sugar & Spice said:
Wow , your doing a great job ! keep up the good work and your pig will be one happy little guy . Can't wait to see some pictures .

thank you! i sure hope he is happy after all this (i'm gonna owe my folks money for like a month :sad: )

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
It's worth the money! I have a hay loft too where I keep carefresh so it's easier to clean. The rest of my cage is in fleece. The boys love it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.