Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hesitating Piggie

billy'smom

Cavy Slave
I've made a 2 level C&C cage with the grids,connectors and cardboard (temporary until coroplast arrives). For a few days now my piggie has only hung out at the bottom and refuses to go up the makeshift ramps. Today I moved his bed, food & water to the 2nd level and placed him up there as well to encourage him to go down. Maybe if he goes down the ramp he'll see that they arent so bad. Anymore ideas on what I can do to get my hesitating piggie to explore the whole cage.

ivyleeanna

Cavy Slave
I had the same thing happen with my 2 pigs. I left the ramp out for a few days so they could get used to the new home base. I just put the new ramp in a few days ago and did the same thing you did with hay and water to lure them. I put both of them on the second level. One ran straight down, the other hung out for a while. That one has been up there several times now but the other one hasn't been seen up there once. They will figure it out in time. New smells seem to throw them off for a few days. A few spinach leaves along the ramp seemed to help too!

Fay

Cavy Slave
Try putting their favorite food at the top so they can't recist going over the ramp to get it. This technique works very well with our guineas. If that doesnt work you could take them on your lap with the ramp or something similar let them sniff it and go on it when it's flat on your lap so they get formiliar with it. then try making it go up while they are on it. Just keep putting them on it so they get used to it or you can try rewarding them everytime they go on it with a treat.

billy'smom

Cavy Slave
thx everyone for the tips.

Fay

Cavy Slave
let us know if it worked :cheerful:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.