Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Rats with Mites, and using Carbaryl

Elmanie

Cavy Slave
I have been searching for a carbaryl based mite/flea powder to put in the rat cages, and there appears to be nothing of the sort. Would anyone here happen to know of a safe to use version of a powder?

The vet recommended we use it, as one of the rats has eggs on his hair. We've had one rat die from mites, because he got really sick while we were gone on vacation and it was just too late :(.(Though we did take him to try and start ivermectin). The other two have been on the shots(one just started today), and the vet mentioned the carbaryl powder. Exotic Tropicals and PetCo do not seem to carry it.

So, long story short, any suggestions? It would be awesome! :)

chinchillasunde

Cavy Slave
Carbaryl is the chemical name of the main ingredient in what is commonly called "Seven Dust". Comes in 5 % and 10 %, commonly. You would want 5 % for applying TO any animal. Both are commonly used in Gardening, and available at Garden Supply stores. YEARS ago, they were also commonly applied to animals for fleas and other external parasites. Not so much anymore. Usually old timers I see wanting the "dust" nowadays. I personally would not do this with rats. I really am not a fan of the dust for any animal anymore,though. It is not meant to be ingested or inhaled. So that is not really feasible, imho, being near a rat. Is your vet very rat experienced? I have not heard of any rattie vets, really up to date with rat info, recommend Carbaryl. Adam's Flea and Tick Mist would be a safer bedding spray, allow it to dry before reintroducing rats,though. Bio Spot makes wipes safe for rats, for mites. If the vet thinks the mites maybe in the bedding, freezing it will cure that.

gyzmo

Cavy Slave
From my experience and the knowledge given to me from my veterenarian and rescue friend the best option is "revolution". It cleared up the infestation in about an hour or 2 and they had healed normal fur/skin in about a week with no reoccurence (its been 4 months).

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Please don't use the carbaryl on any small animals.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.