Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Windchimes=DANGEROUS!

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
Foreveryone who got the idea of getting windchimes I extremely advise you not to. Rocket got the top of the cilindar ( 5.5" high 1/3" wide) stuck in his mouth and the string wrapped around his tooth. He got all jumpy and wouldnt stop squeaming. I had to carefully un wrap it. I'm lucky because he's fine. But I advise you and myself to not use metal wind chimes.

If your pig loves the wind chimes (like mine). GET WOOD ONES!

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Just out of curiosity, what would be the difference between the two that would make wooden ones safer? Aren't they made the same way? Not that I have seen too many wooden wind chimes.

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
No, wood chimes usually don't have cylindar chimes. And they are held with a thicker string most of the time, wood is good to chew, and it's too thick to get wrapped around their teeth.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Ug! You are talking about the chimes that are like little pipes right? He got his tooth inside the pipe part?

If that is what happened then luckily mine are solid bars (not pipes).

It's good advice and a warning though. I do suggest that the hollow pipe ones not be used as it is a possibility for a tooth to get caught inside.

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
No, I have solid cylindars. He was shewing the top and did a popcorn, then the pipe got stuck in his mouth and the string wrapped around his teeth. He squealed and jumped trying to get it off.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Thanks Tipi as I have still not found them at a $ store. VJ you are right and I hadn't thought about it, there are some of the tiny ones with solid cylinder pipes.

Tipi, how is Rocket doing now? Has he calmed down?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
I guess then that if we use them they should be hung up high enough so they can't possibly get up near the top of the chimes.

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
I picked him up and gave him a little TLC (not fixing up, just calming down). I hand fed some hay as a peace offerring and he fell asleep on my lap. So I think he is calm and fine with me now. I checked his mouth, and the teeth are in line and his lips are fine. So I have nothing to worry about in the future! :)

VJ: most guinea pigs can reach the top of their cage, even Rocket can, so I don't think that would do anything to help. I still suggest wood chimes.

MyPiggiesRock

Cavy Slave
I am glad he is fine. That could have been so much worse.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Do what I did. They pulled of the strings quickly, so I replaced them with twist ties. They can't undo them, and they're too thick to get caught in their teeth.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Slave
Good idea FourW. I forgot that you did that.

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
Thats genius! I think I may get some twistie ties at the local grocery store. Thanks!

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Your welcome :) Just a tip, bend them around a lot before putting it back in the cage, so they're more pliable and swing freely.

cutepiggy

Cavy Slave
I'm confused. Why are there chimes in the cage? Do they play with them?

C&K

Cavy Slave
I'm confused. Why are there chimes in the cage? Do they play with them?

Yup! :)

pamziaw

Cavy Slave
Never thought of that, will have to get some for my spigs.

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
You will have to make it piggy safe, because I showed exactly what happens.

pamziaw

Cavy Slave
I'll hang them directly from the 2nd floor without the fancy bits. They can't reach them there.

Last edited:

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
Well, it's no fun if they can't reach the chimes. Just replace the strings with small zip ties. Take off any small pieces, and hang it from the bottom of the second level.

pamziaw

Cavy Slave
I mean so they can't reach the top of them like yours did but so they can still bop their noses on them when they want to play. I must admit, i could see them playing with them and being amazed for hours. They're easliy amused. The other day one of my paper origami balls in my room fell from the ceiling into the cage. When i discovered it again it was mostly chewed, played with and eaten.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.