Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Woody Pet Help

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Hi. Does anyone use woody pet? I'm thinking off ordering it soon, but I need some reviews and/or comments about it. Any help would be much appreciated!

WildKingdom

Cavy Slave
I've been using a similar horse bedding called Pestell. It is a pelleted wood, Aspen I believe. It really cuts down on odors and is super cheap! $5.00 for a 35lb. bag. We also use it for our Rabbit's litter boxes. But I wonder if it hurts his little feet? I put down several pieces of fleece for him to walk and lay on. I may buy some carefresh to put on top for comfort.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
thanks. Iv heard that with water (or urine), woody pet turns into 'fluffy' bedding, so I'm too worried about it being too uncomfortable for the little guys. Same here, I can get a hige bag (approx 14Kg) for £5.00. Yay!

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I think you can if you want, but its not a must

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
Is there anyone that uses woody pet that knows for sure if you spray it to make it fluffy or just leave it alone? I just found a store near me that sells 30 lbs of woody pet for under $5 and was thinking of trying it out when my current batch of kiln dried pine and aspen runs out.

cavylover
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
WildKingdom said:
I've been using a similar horse bedding called Pestell. It is a pelleted wood, Aspen I believe. It really cuts down on odors and is super cheap! $5.00 for a 35lb. bag. We also use it for our Rabbit's litter boxes. But I wonder if it hurts his little feet? I put down several pieces of fleece for him to walk and lay on. I may buy some carefresh to put on top for comfort.
I use wood stove pellets for my rabbit's litterbox and put shredded paper on top of that. My mom gets the shredded paper free from her work.

Piglet

Cavy Slave
Ugh. I left the woody pet option, my local feed store stopped selling it. Also, the spraying it with water thing seems like a pain.

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
I got some Woody Pet and after the fact, noticed that is what my local pet shop uses in their cages. I think it would be hard on little piggy feet and I really didn't relish the idea of misting and fluffing everything. So I put down a thin layer of woody pet and then added kiln dried pine to the top of it. I used less than I normally would. I do like it in my bird cages but really, I think I will stick with pine/aspen mix.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I think that if you have to fluff it and it's hard, why buy the stuff? Also, if it takes that much water to spray it, what will it absorb after that? Just some thoughts, though I've never tried it.

cinn&sprinslave

Cavy Slave
NoVeil said:
I got some Woody Pet and after the fact, noticed that is what my local pet shop uses in their cages. I think it would be hard on little piggy feet and I really didn't relish the idea of misting and fluffing everything. So I put down a thin layer of woody pet and then added kiln dried pine to the top of it. I used less than I normally would. I do like it in my bird cages but really, I think I will stick with pine/aspen mix.

I use wood pellets sometimes, I don't spray them to make it fluffy, I just spread some aspen over the top. They are really cheap 3.99 for 32 lbs. But in the winter they absorb way to much moisture.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.