Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Help?

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Hi, I read above where NOT to keep your cage, but I was wondering where people actually keep them? I was thinking of keeping it in my room, or in the upstairs livingroom, since these are the most visited places. Also, if you dont make a stand out of the grids.. what else can you make one out of? I want something that can be used as storage, and something that isnt odd looking... Thanks for your help! -Allie

jump it

Cavy Slave
I am planning on putting the cage in my room, but that's just me :)

evilnumberlady

Cavy Slave
I have mine in my bedroom. I live by myself in a single bedroom apartment and the only other place I spend a significant amount of time is the living room (that room isn't good for me because it opens up to my kitchen which has the washer/dryer in it.)

I have my cages on the floor, because with 4 guinea pigs that need to be kept in 3 different cages I can't find anything large enough to keep them all on. I toyed with the idea of using a fold-up table when I thought I might be able to keep them all together, though. Being on the floor doesn't seem to bother mine too much. Two of them let me come up and pet them without running away, and I've only had those two approximately 1 month / 2 weeks

Kori'smom

Cavy Slave
I have my cage in my room on the floor for now. As soon as I get more grids I am going to make a stand for it.

MetallichicA

Cavy Slave
My girls are in my living room, on a fold-up table we got from Sam's. Perfect size to fit the enormous hay bin underneath; a tiny bit tall, so I made the front set of grids about a square lower than the rest so that I can reach over to get them easier.

jump it

Cavy Slave
If you plan on having them on the floor (like me) make sure you put a cover/lid on top. But that is only necessary if you have cats, dogs, children, etc. I'm going to make a lid with grids and use ties for hinges so it swings up and down.

Kori'smom

Cavy Slave
jump it said:
I'm going to make a lid with grids and use ties for hinges so it swings up and down.

tha tis how I have the top on my girls bunny c&c cages.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
I might end up leaving it on the floor for a bit, but i will need somthing to put it on top of eventually, I am thinking of making my own stand out of wood. I know my grandpa would be able to make a very sturdy one. Lucily I dont have cats that can get to them, but my dogs are another story. The only dogs that come inside are a maltese and a toy poodle. So if I make a stand they will not be able to get to them. I think I am going to end up putting the cage in my room, or in the spare room. (The spare room is right across the hall so that will work out perfectly. The only problem with that is that I will have to wait until my uncle is packed up and gone. Which should be sometime this week.) I am already planning on putting my hamsters and my mouse in the spare room. So, I might as well add pigs! lol

On the page on where to keep your pig, it says to not keep them in a closet.. But, what if the closet is the size of a regular room? The reason I am asking, is because my mom has two HUGE closets, and one of them backs up to my closet. We are planning on knocking out the wall that separates them, so I will have about a 6x6 or 6x7 closet.. Would that be alright to stick them in? I dont have a door on my closet.. just a beaded curtain.. so that air flow would be alright.. Thanks for your help! -Allie

evilnumberlady

Cavy Slave
I think closets are also considered bad because they are dark and you're more liable to forget about them in there

enchantingcavy

Cavy Slave
Hey there,

just an idea but it can be nice for the piggies if part of their cage is near/close to a window so that the piggies can have a view of the natural scenery outside. The reason i say part is so that if it's on the sunny side of the house the sun will only cover part of the cage...

Jess

rubyjr

Cavy Slave
We used 2 cabinate bases anchored down they are sperated a little, then cut a laminated board fits the size of 3 x 7 grids on top. The girls are in a high traffic area in the family room. I use the cabinates underneather for storage. It workes perfectly. My husband ended up adding laminate sides and front, so I do not use the grids any longer but the cage looks like a piece of the furniture, and it is large. It is usually a talking point when we have company, and it's high enough that my kids can not put their hands in it, and my dogs can not get to it.

C&K

Cavy Slave
Try looking in the Gallaries.

I can't find it now, but I remember several months ago a member had a realy neat home made table top. Sort of reminded me of those kids train tables. It had a lip around it to hold the cage in place, but also had a hing so you could let the side down and slide out the coroplast tray.

Anyway, building your own can be done.

I used Apple boxes with my fosters for awhile to get them off the ground. Then a neighbour was throwing out a table so I helped myself. My girls also sit on a kitchen table. (Not in the kitchen though)

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
If I had a closet that size with no door on it in a room that I was likely to spend a good amount of time in, I wouldn't have any problem at all building a cage in it. Something like that will most likely get a good amount of air and light, and you would be able to interact with your pigs. Plus it wouldn't take up floor space in the room, and you could possibly install shelves above the cage or a long shelf for the cage to sit on, and you would have storage above and/or below.

Personally, I got very lucky. Living with family and a brother in the military, I ended up with an extra room to put my couch, bookshelves, craft supplies, and cages (hamster and guinea pig) in. It makes for an interesting arrangement actually. The pigs never want to stay quiet when I want to sit and read. They immediately think that if I'm in the room it MUST be for their benefit.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Thanks, everyone for your responces. I do believe that once I will house them in the spare room until I am sure that the closet will be alright for them to be in. I talked with my grandpa today, and he said that he will be able to help make something to put the cage on. I might make it a built in storage unit in the closet. I dont really think that housing them in the closet will be too bad, since we have lots of light in there. I also will be coverting the closet into a reading room, so I will be spending lots of time in it. Then again, I will have to wait until it is completly finished to be sure. Thanks again for all your replies! -Allie

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Mine used to be in my bedroom and that worked fine for me, but I fell ill with a very bad cold a few weeks ago and because of that couldn't sleep in my own bed - partly in case I passed anything on to them and partly because it was harder to breathe and recover with the pigs under my nose all the time.

So when I was a bit better, on 18th June, we moved them downstairs into the dining room. It's a family room so hygeine/cleaning/keeping the place spotless is much more important now. It is harder work but it gives me more space and there are mor ebenefits to having them down here as opposed to in my room.

I also found, after we moved them out of my room, I slept a whole lot better and more soundly.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.