Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Oxbow Timothy Hay

kimgrif

Cavy Slave
The last three bags of timothy hay that we've bought (Oxbow brand) have had quite a lot of brown hay in them. The pigs won't eat it, and it all just turns an ugly shade of rusty brown when it is put into the hay rack.

I had some orchard grass (also Oxbow brand) and it stays nice and green. The piggies have been chowing down on this.

Is it okay to feed them orchard grass for awhile and forego the timothy hay until Oxbow gets things under control? I'm guessing it was a "bad batch" of hay or something. Previous bags of timothy hay have been fine, all green. This has just been recently that we've seen the brown hay.

I've got to go get more hay today, and wondered if we could just stick with orchard grass for awhile, or is timothy hay specifically essential for them?

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
Yes it should be okay to feed them orchard grass for now. they can have all sorts of kinds of grass. Bermuda, Orchard, Timothy, Alfalfa for pregnant and babies, and bluegrass are most known. Don't worry about it at all :)

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
They can have orchard grass exlusively. They don't need Timothy hay, just some sort of grass hay (excluding alfalfa for adults). Mine are free fed on bluegrass because my husband is allergic to timothy.

kimgrif

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much! Sent hubby off to get some orchard grass.

Has anyone else noticed that the Oxbow timothy hay has been less than stellar lately? I'm thinking it was just a bad cutting or something.

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
The oxbow hay that are sold at local stores around here never looks to great. I buy from KM whenever I can. The ochard grass from oxbow always looks better to me at the stores too. I think the stores by me keep the timothy on the shelf too long though.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
In the beggining of the year and actually lately, Oxbow's quality has been downhill from normal. However, it is still better than Kaytee hay.

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
I grow bermuda grass, orchard grass and normal grass in pots, and feed it to my guinea pig. He goes bonkers over it.

kimgrif

Cavy Slave
Thanks, Slap! I was hoping I wasn't just overly "picky" here. It's just that I clean more hay out of the cage than they eat these days.

I'd LOVE to get some KM hay, but am gonna wait until we're moved and settled before I order. For now, we'll stick with Oxbow's orchard grass. *grin*

Coopdog

Cavy Slave
I could be wrong about this, but my daughter works with horses and I seem to recall he saying that the first cutting in the spring is poorer quality than the second cutting in the fall. So it would make sense that the current crop would not be as nice as it will later in the year. I also noticed they only had smaller quantities available for a while, so maybe there was bad weather or something that effected the crop.

As far as timothy vs. orchard grass, I'm allergic to timothy, so all I've used for several years now is the orchard grass. Louise is crazy about it, as are all the fosters I've had.

Slap Maxwell

Cavy Slave
I think that KM is out until mid-July. I will be ordering 45lbs of the bluegrass/orchard grass as soon as she gets some in. It is amazing stuff.

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
Coopdog said:
I could be wrong about this, but my daughter works with horses and I seem to recall he saying that the first cutting in the spring is poorer quality than the second cutting in the fall. So it would make sense that the current crop would not be as nice as it will later in the year. I also noticed they only had smaller quantities available for a while, so maybe there was bad weather or something that effected the crop.

As far as timothy vs. orchard grass, I'm allergic to timothy, so all I've used for several years now is the orchard grass. Louise is crazy about it, as are all the fosters I've had.

This is why they devide the timothy groups into three:
1st cut
2nd cut (reccommended)
3rd cut (best)

jabberwock

Cavy Slave
TipiDancer said:
This is why they devide the timothy groups into three:
1st cut
2nd cut (reccommended)
3rd cut (best)
I've read that the 1st cut is best for cavies because it is more stemmy and hence has a higher fibre content, so it's preferred for cavies who might have a weight problem. Is there any truth in this at all? I know that my pigs greatly prefer the less stemmy stuff but I wondered whether I should be trying to persuade them to like the first cut?

Having said that, the only place I know of in the UK that grows Timothy only managed to get one cut last year due to the weather conditions. The Oxbow Timothy I sometimes find in our local petstore isn't labelled as either 1st, 2nd or 3rd cut. There's one online source of 2nd cut Canadian Timothy but it's very expensive. As long as they are eating lots of green grass hay is the actual cut something I need to worry greatly over or not?

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.