Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Desperately want to steal neighbours' guinea pig.

muffin

Cavy Slave
I can see my neighbour's shed from my window, and in it there is a small indoor pet store cage, with one guinea pig inside. I've seen the cage whilst the door has been open over the last couple of days, but tonight they have left the cage outside in the shed and the shed door open. It doesn't feel too cold but the car registered 11 degrees celcius. I just put a note through their door saying that it wasn't good for them to be outside below 18 degrees, and that if they wanted me to adopt it I would. I also included the GL care sheet. I think it is a childrens' pet, since they have kids. The cage is exposed to foxes and cold, and it is taking everything I have in me to stop myelf going and stealing the guinea pig in the early hours of the morning, if not now. We're watching to see if they take it indoors, since we can see them in their conservatory, watching tv. Hopefully they will see the envelope on their doormat before they go to bed, and bring the pig in. I can't believe this is happening right in front of me, and I'd have to break the law to stop it. I really hope they read the care sheet and bring it inside. I want to rescue it, half of me wants them to follow the care sheet, the other half of me wants them to ask me to take it so I can make sure it won't ever suffer again through lack of care or ignorance.:mad: AAAAArgh!

C&K

Cavy Slave
That really sucks!

I worry though that bringing it inside from that kind of cold could actually do more harm then good. Often the shock of getting warm really quickly can be harder on them then just staying in the cold.

If they don't give you the pig, just make up a really good care package for them, and hand it off like you did the care sheet, and hope for the best. It really does sound like they are unfortunately, not breaking the "law". And taking the pig could get you into a lot of trouble. Pignaping is a decision that only one you can make. If you did, I would smuggle the fugative to an undisclosed location, as they likely may suspect you!

muffin

Cavy Slave
Ah, well, I didn't disclose my identity, just put my email adress on the letter. Since I posted the guy that lives there went out and shut the shed door. It is too cold here for an indoor cage to be in a shed. We previously suspected they might have a rabbit or pig indoors, since I saw someone go into the shed and take a bag of hay into the house. What they are maybe doing is keeping it in the shed for the summer, since this is the first time we have seen it. It has no decent shelter in an indoor cage, they are so open and drafty. We saw a log tunnel in there so I guess that's its house. The water bottle also looks very greenish like it hasn't been properly cleaned for a while. Needless to say the SSPCA wouldn't be able to do anything. It is fed and watered and housed, and in many SSPCA inspectors' opinions that's fine. I don't mean to be down on them, but guinea care in the UK is nowhere near as clued up as it ought to be, and the SSPCA don't have the power or funds to deal with 'minor' cases like this. Most people here still keep buns and guines outdoors in the middle of winter for crying out loud. I'll definitely do the care package idea if they don't email me. Worst thing is if I pignapped it they would maybe replace it. They have a cat so I doubt it gets floortime.:sorry:

Tatalp

Cavy Slave
Poor pigs! I hope you can do something to help them! Maybe you can offer to buy them. They don't seem to care much about the pigs, so I wouldn't be surprised if they'd give them up for $50. Another option is asking if they'd mind you coming into the shed to spend time with the pigs. They might think you're weird for it, but you could give the pigs good food, and some cozies to keep them warm. It would be better than nothing!

JennG

Cavy Slave
Or you could make it look like a fox got in and break up the cage, leave alittle fur behind (since I'm sure s/he's probably losing fur) and just take it. But then again that wouldn't be right, huh??? Money talks as well.

OctoberSky

Cavy Slave
I was going to suddgest what JennG already did. Since you mentioned the foxes in that area. If you start asking to buy the Guinea and telling them they aren't giving it the proper care then if you end up deciding to take the pig without them knowing, they will likely suspect you. So I know it's the wrong thing to do, but honestly if it was me, I would just take the Guinea and make it look like it escaped or that the foxes got it or something. It's a hard decision to make. Keep us posted for sure!

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Poor, Poor Pig. If you see it getting worse, I would do as JennG and October Sky suggested.. but make sure that you wait until they leave.. so that they cannot catch you. *having made this mistake before.* Also.. if you make it look like the pig escaped.. or got killed, make sure it looks like the pig actually escaped.. ex: mess up bedding, make the cage be open, hair is also a great idea.. well.. I hope you wont have to resort to this.. I hope they take better care of the pig.. by the way, did they find the caresheet you left?

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
The poor thing. I would take it when they left as well.

fairysari

Cavy Slave
Please don't steal the pig. I know it's hard, but it's really good that you are trying to communicate with the owners, especially since that is legal, and won't get you in trouble.Who knows, your neighbours might be really appreciative that you are sharing the GL info with them, and they might be eager to learn. You never know - but at least you can help the pig by nicely trying to educate the owners, and maybe you could even drop off some good hay and pellets and veggies for the pig - which you would have to buy anyway if you adopted it. I hope everything works out for the best for you and this poor pog!

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
If they haven't responded yet to the letter, then they must not care. The poor animal should not have to suffer because they are selfish and heartless.

muffin

Cavy Slave
I can't steal it, since there are so many houses that overlook their property and I would be seen for sure, believe me, the fox idea was already well formed in my head.

Anyway, this is what I got back from them at about midnight last night:

Thank you for your concern regarding our pets!!!!!!!
If you had something to say to us I would have preferred if you would have knocked on our door at a reasonable time of day rather than disturbing our family under cover of darkness at 11pm!!!
The letter you gave us was basically a polite way of saying we are bad pet owners.
Our guinea pigs are now four and a half years old and appear to have managed quite well inside and out over the years. They have never been ill and have only just started visits outside again after being in our kitchen since last year.
Once again thank you for your concern, in future if you or your friend have any advice for us please feel free to talk to us personally rather than by strange anonymous letter.
Goodnight.

I put it through their door at 11pm because I could see the pig was still out, in an indoor cage, and the friend mentioned is the person who apparently told me about it, so they don't think I'm spying on them. I don't know if it's even worth talking to them, they don't seem to want to know any more by the tone of the email.

Last edited by a moderator:

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
You obviously hit a nerve with them.

Perhaps it is worth talking to them face-to-face as people are often far more confident via email than in person. It might be worthwhile to inform them that it's great that their pigs are over 4 years old, but at this age they are far more susceptible to illness.

Or I shall come over and inform them for you!

C&K

Cavy Slave
I would not talk to them face to face. That letter sounds like they could get really nasty.

I would email them back and just simply say, "My friend noticed at this late hour that the door to the shed was open. We had immediate concerns, however knocking at such a late hour would have been very rude. I am glad you found the letter and where able to at the very least, shut the door. If you insist on leaving the pig out overnight, in conditions that fall under the recommended temperatures for keeing pigs, then perhaps you could provide more adiquate shelter for it, such as a warm hidey house or hay (changed daily) for them to bed down in? I am glad that you have had such good luck with your pigs over the last 4 1/2 years, however many people who house them outside have not. With their advanced age it may be time to reconsider your husbandry practices, after all, a 70 or 80 year old human cannot tolarate the same level of exposure as a healthy 20 year old! The same can be said for pigs.

Thank you;
And have a nice day!

*sigh* some people just suck!

SandyF

Cavy Slave
I have rarely had the anonymous letter tactic work. People either ignore it, or are offended by it. Face to face usually works better, but you also have to consider your personal safety too. Usually people are so stunned to have someone showng up on their doorstep to express concern about their pet, that they don't have time to react with anger -- especially if you do it with a smile. I've done this with loud neighbors, neighors with pets on the loose, barking dogs. I'm not a confrontational person by any means, but sometimes you just have to say these things in person.

These situations are never easy. I do commend you for letting them know that you're concerned. Maybe that alone will bring about some positive changes.

Charlie's_mamma

Cavy Slave
Kudos to you doing something about it. I feel so bad because when I was around 11 there was this dog across the street and it was always out in the garage and it was always "crying" (you know that sound dog owners) and barking. I never said anything. Those people don't sound too kind, I guess people just get offended easier then others. Maybe bring one of your friends (or parents) along with you next door and then talk to them?

C&K

Cavy Slave
Usually people are so stunned to have someone showng up on their doorstep to express concern about their pet, that they don't have time to react with anger -- especially if you do it with a smile.

I would agree, except the element of surprise is lost, they will have had lots of time to brood over their "midnight letter writter". I think nothing but undue hostility would come out of it!

JennG

Cavy Slave
I hope everyone realizes that I was just kidding. I wouldn't recommend stealing the piggie either. I think talking with them should be tried and then if that doesn't rectify the situation than maybe offering to buy the poor thing would. Could you call the local animal control and report it as an abuse case?

muffin

Cavy Slave
C&K said:
I would not talk to them face to face. That letter sounds like they could get really nasty.
C&K said:
I would email them back and just simply say, "My friend noticed at this late hour that the door to the shed was open. We had immediate concerns, however knocking at such a late hour would have been very rude. I am glad you found the letter and where able to at the very least, shut the door. If you insist on leaving the pig out overnight, in conditions that fall under the recommended temperatures for keeing pigs, then perhaps you could provide more adiquate shelter for it, such as a warm hidey house or hay (changed daily) for them to bed down in?

That's basically what I emailed them back with. I think they are convinced their way is best. It drives me crazy. The pigs are still there, their cage on the ground just inside the door of the shed. I can see it through my window. The only consolation is that at least it is not out in the open completely. I can't report it as an abuse case I don't think, because the SSPCA probably can't do anything. I will enquire though, since it is the wrong type of cage. They could maybe at least visit the house and offer advice.

The fact that the owners claimed I had disturbed their household, whereas I had only put something through their letter box and they were watching tv, suggests that confronting them would not be a good idea. I live too close if problems resulted. I don't know if the exclamations marks in their email are suppposed to imply friendliness or anger.

There are always kids in the garden, which probably terrifies the guinea pigs. It just makes me so mad, and the owners probably think what they are doing is best because they have probably followed all the care books, which mostly suck. The cage looks pretty small. I'll get my boyfriend to help me post a pic of it later. At least if there are two piggies they can huddle together for warmth. :weepy: I don't care if it is summer, the care books are often written by breeders, who live down south in England where it's a heck of a lot warmer. It was only 11oC here last night, that's winter weather! At least there was no breeze, but that was unusual, since we are right next to a river and the sea, so damp and wind are regular, along with colder temperatures than inland.

HowietheGreat

Cavy Slave
People are so irresponsible. Errrrggggg!!!! It's always about them and their needs and not the needs of the animal that they are caring for. It is so selfish! It seems to me that they were thanking you for the intial letter just to be polite. I don't think they heard you at all. How frustrating. My heart goes out to that poor pig.

daftscotslass

Cavy Slave
You could always contact the SSPCA anyway - they can only say no.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.