Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Any suggestions for cage?

cows4me79

Cavy Slave
I just rescued two one year old piggies. This is the cage I built them. (broken link removed)
Are there any suggestions for me on anything to do with the cage? I know there isn't a ramp upto the second level yet, but I am not sure what to use to make it. Also, the piggies probably won't go up there for a few days, so I think I have some time to get it done. Thanks!
Carol
PS- their names are Max (two brown ears) and Elmo:heart:

PiggieMom

Cavy Slave
Well first: the food you have in that bowl isn't good for them. Pigs should only be fed plain pellet mixes. The seed mixes are choking hazards, high in fat low in nutrition and have chemicals that cause cancer. You can buy quality pellets from (broken link removed) (though she's out right now she'll have more soon), www.oxbowhay.com. The third best is plain pellet Mazuri, though it has whey in it (not good, piggies are lactose intolerant) and is alfalfa based (it's best if pellets are timothy based). Any other pellet brand has a whole bunch of bad stuff in it.

Second, piggies need to be free fed hay (not alfalfa if over six months). You can get the best hay from (broken link removed) or www.oxbow.com. Other brands it's harder to find quality hay. If you have to buy other brands make sure you get the greenest softest hay you can find and that it smell fresh.

Third, what is underneath the fleece? The loft doesn't look like it has anything underneath it. You need something absorbent under fleece like towels.

Here's the photo gallery for ramps, there are a whole bunch of idea in there for ramps. https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showgallery.php/cat/509

Other than that the cage looks great.

cows4me79

Cavy Slave
I will get some hay. I have the food, but the food in the bowl came from the previous owner. I am changing it out tomorrow. I have a blanket for the bottom. I will change it out every other day to clean it. I will wash the coroplast with vinegar and water at that time. So far, the guinea pigs are going potty in the blue container though, so I may not need to worry about random droppings. We will have to see. I have a few ideas for the ramps, but now I need to go buy it! Thank you.
Carol

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Mazuri 5664 is what you want if you don't get the others. It is not found in chain pet stores. I get mine from a local garden center. It only comes in 25lb. bags and is not the stuff at pet stores.

Go back in the bedding section and look back as far as pages 11, 12, and maybe 13. You should find some great info. Scan the titles and you will see things on layers under fleece, washing fleece, etc.

Carol, I don't know which thread you did first but your cage pic in the other one is a better size. Try to stick to say a 3 x 5.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.