PDA

View Full Version : Hi, I am Allie. I am new, and I need a bit of help.

wickedrodent
06-22-06, 07:59 pm
First of all, I would like to introduce myself. I am Allie, I am xxx years old. I have 6 dogs (male maltese named falcon, female toy poodle named fifi, two male chihuahua/dachshund mixes named cole and leo, female mini dachshund named lady, female shepard mix named keira, and a female chow/lab mix named jypsy.) 3 hamsters (a female dom. spot syrain named Secret, a male cream syrian named Nibbles, and a male choc. mottled cambells dwarf named Illusion.) 10 mice (I am fostering them until they are ready to go to their new homes. There are 5 black, 3 white and 1 black/white) 1 cockatiel (His color is very rare, his name is Peaches.) I have been wanting another guinea pig ever since my guinea pig Andrew passed away in 2002. Since then I have been fostering all kinds of small animals, the only animal that has not needed a foster home is a guinea pig. My mother has decided that I will be allowed to get one small animal as a reward for all my hard work fostering animals. So, when the mice go to their new homes, I will be allowed to get one. I have decided that I am going to get a guinea pig, but my mother is not too happy about the idea. The help I need is finding good points to mention about them, so that she can see how much fun they are to have and so forth. I already found stores close-by so that I can buy stuff to make a c&c cage. I also would like to know how easy it is to potty train a guinea pig since I have not had one in so long. I use carefresh bedding for all my other small animals, but is their something else that would work better for potty-training them?
Other Questions-
*Where do you keep your cage?
*What works better, an open or closed cage/ a multi-story cage or a one-story cage?
*Females or Males?
*Bedding recomendations?
*Long haired or short haired?

Any other information that would help get me started again would be much appreciated. Thanks, -Allie

P.s. I will be adopting from a shelter, not getting one from a petstore or a breeder.

JennG
06-22-06, 08:11 pm
Welcome to the forum. I hate to bust your bubble but guinea pigs are herd animals and really should have a friend with them. It sounds like you have alot on your plate now. I think you should really consider how much more work another animal will be. Good luck.

PS You can't potty train piggies even though some may disagree. Once in awhile you may find a piggie that will use the potties but more than likely not. I have several potties (one being under the hay area) and they use them but they also poop/pee whereever they please

Percy's Mom
06-22-06, 08:23 pm
Hey Allie! I agree with Jenn. You sound like a pretty busy young lady. Think really hard about whether or not this is the best time to get another animal. If you do decide that you can afford the time, energy, and money, please know that it would be best to adopt at least 2 guinea pigs. They need friends of their own kind as they are herd animals. It's great that you do so much work to help foster animals, so you obviously understand how important it is to adopt instead of buy animals. To answer most of your questions and read a copy of the forum rules, please click the following blue link. You may have noticed a couple of things changed about your original post. Please only post in the original black. To make posting easy to read, we need you to only use colors or bold to emphasize individual words or short phrases. Also, and you should see this in the rules, we do not allow ages to be posted for safety reasons.

NEWBIES - Please Read This Post First (http://www.cavycages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17032).

I hope you find the answers you need and find this forum to be helpful to you not just with guinea pigs, but a lot of animal issues.

wickedrodent
06-22-06, 08:30 pm
I am actually planning adopting two sisters. The animals I mentioned dont all live with me, some of them live at my grandparents house. Two of the dogs live at my grandparents, as well as the bird and two of the hamsters. All the mice will be going to their new homes before I am going to get anything else. Also, the two big dogs (my uncles dogs) and the three little dogs (my mom takes care of all of her dogs) are mostly outside dogs, with the exception of the air conditioned garage. So, the only animals that are inside the house are the mice and my hamster. I am capable of caring for more that. I have fostered over 50 small animals in the last four years. I am not trying to be rude... its just that I want to make it known that I am not one of those people that randomly takes on animals that they cannot handle. I research all the things that I am going to need to know before I get an animal, and I dont get more than I can handle. The only reason I am asking for help, is because my mother doesnt like guinea pigs as much as I do, and doesnt see them as a cute and fun pet to have. I was hoping that maybe someone else had this same problem and knew what to tell their parents/spouce to get them to see the cute/fun aspect of it. Other than that I am asking opinions on bedding and housing situations. Thanks for your reply, -Allie

Also, sorry about writing in the color and posting my age. I will be sure to read the rules carefully.

Percy's Mom
06-22-06, 08:34 pm
That does make things a lot clearer. The best thing you can do to help convince your parents is to do a lot of research, which it appears you are doing, so good for you! The link I provided in my first post is a great place to start. You may also want to use the search boxes at the top right of the screen. You can type in keywords for anything you want to know about, and you will get a list of threads that should reference your topic in some way. I found it most helpful just to go through the different sections of the forum and read up on what people are posting.

wickedrodent
06-22-06, 08:41 pm
Thank you very much. I will be sure to go and search the things that I still have questions on in the forum.:optimist:

My Baby Mu
06-22-06, 10:37 pm
Welcome to the forum.

wickedrodent
06-23-06, 10:51 am
Thank you, might I say.. What cute piggies you have. :heart:

Percy's Mom
06-23-06, 10:57 am
We go rather crazy about pigtures (pics of piggies) or pictures of any animals, so please feel free to post pictures of any of your lot. We'd love to see your cuties too!

wickedrodent
06-23-06, 12:04 pm
Thanks, I will definatly do that, the only thing is where do I post them.. I know that you arent supposed to put anything but piggy cages in the photo gallery.. so would it be on one of the forums?

Percy's Mom
06-23-06, 12:13 pm
Yep, you can post your pictures in any regular thread including this one. Here are some directions on how to do that if you're not familiar.
http://www.cavycages.com/forum/showthread.php?p=213869#post213869

JennG
06-23-06, 04:32 pm
Thanks for clarifying things. It just sounded like you have this house full of animals. I work in Social Services and can see what alot of animals in a home can do (& smell *eek*). But it sounds like you have things under control and that they're all not your responsibility. I'm glad to see that you may adopt two. They do, do better with a friend. Good luck and please share pigtures. Not only of your girls but of your other pets.

wickedrodent
06-24-06, 04:39 pm
Here is a pic of the piggies that I might be adopting.. this would depend on if they find homes before I have a chance to get everything set up for them and get the mice I am fostering into their new homes. Well, here they are.. They are the two black and white ones. They are both boys. (I was planning on trying to get girls.. but these cuties made me reconsider.)
http://www.petfinder.com/fotos/TX113/TX113.6529166-2-pn.jpg

JennG
06-24-06, 09:35 pm
All of them are cute. Good luck.

My Baby Mu
06-24-06, 10:25 pm
Aww too cute!