Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other mice...

HazElnUt5

Cavy Slave
If anyone has mice please tell me if you think they are that hard to take care of. Like do you think that they are harder to take care of than saya guinea pig? Because I think that I may get two of them once we get back from vaction. So, can you tell me any good information you know about them? Thanks:cheerful:

katiecavyNC

Cavy Slave
We have mice - they are very smelly. Cute, but smelly. Friendly, but smelly. Oh, and they are fast too and like to jump. I do like to watch them - we have 4 girls and they run and jump and play in their highrise.

HazElnUt5

Cavy Slave
Do they cast a lot to take care of them? And how big should their cage be? if you know. Thanks

katiecavyNC

Cavy Slave
We got a really large 3 level wire cage for them with a solid metal bottom. When they were babies they could fit through the wire, so had to house 2 of the smallest ones for a little while in a smaller terrarium-type cage untill they got too big to fit through the bars. They seem to like the room of this cage.

They are really cute running up and down the ramps and curling up together to sleep in their little beds... if their urine only didn't stink so bad. They are like tiny ferrets as far as that goes (no offense to you ferret people out there...)

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Mice are good pets if you know what you are getting into. If you are a first time owner, I would say to only get one mouse, unless you know for SURE that you are getting two of the same sex. There are MANY homeless mice, as well as piggies.. so adopting from a shelter is the best thing. *If you live in TX I have some that are still looking for homes*
Helpful Info: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/showthread.php?p=217184&posted=1#post217184
Other Things to know:
1) They can escape out of any plastic, or wire cage (exception is if you have a really big mouse, or really small wires) It is easier to use an aquarium.
2) Females don't have such a bad odor as males.
3) If you are getting a female, make sure the rescue you get her from is willing to take babies back in case of accidental pregnancy. (One pair of mice can create THOUSANDS of babies in one year.)
4) They are just as expensive pets as guinea pigs, and personally they can be great fun, but it depends on a few things... (questions for you below)

Questions for you:
1) What are you planning on keeping the mouse in (cage wise)
2) Are you wanting males, or females, and how many?
3) What bedding are you using?
4) Where are you planning on getting the mice?
5) Do you have time to play with them everyday? (If they dont get attention every day then they will not be very fun pets.. becuase of biting, and not wanting to be held.)
6) Do you want a pet that will let you hold it and walk around with it? (most mice dont appreciate being held, and like to jump.)

HazElnUt5

Cavy Slave
well, does anyone know where to get mice? Because I know that petstores do have them, but it is a petstore... And the humane society where I live does not have any mice. So any ideas???

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
You could try looking on petfinder.com or contact Kim's Ark rat rescue (northeastern US). There are always classified ads as well.

HazElnUt5 said:
well, does anyone know where to get mice? Because I know that petstores do have them, but it is a petstore... And the humane society where I live does not have any mice. So any ideas???

HazElnUt5

Cavy Slave
oh thanks but I do not live in the northeastern US, but I will try petfinders.com

Kori'smom

Cavy Slave
I have a hairless rat and we just love him. He is so funny when it is play time. He loves to cuddle.

SugarSpice

Cavy Slave
I had mice when I was younger ! they do get pretty stinky but they are so much fun to watch .The are very active little things .Mine were black and white they were so pretty . I would love to have mice again once we move back to Newfoundland .

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
I've had 6 female mice, and I got lucky none of them were pregnant when I got them. They make wonderful pets, and I loved sitting and watching them, especially when you put something new in the cage, like a tissue (you have no idea how entertaining a tissue can be), a toilet roll or a piece of paper.

They are not as time consuming to take care of as a Guinea Pig, if you have a large enough cage, you should only need to clean it out once a week. Though when I have 4 mice in the one cage, I had to clean the corners out midweek to stop it from getting a little smelly.

I had a Critter Trail One and a glass Tank (but I hated the lack of ventilation on the tank, I got Dad to make a wooden lid with an open section that he covered with Shade Cloth (allowed more air flow, but they couldn't chew it). I much prefered the Critter Trail to the tank though, it was easier to clean, you could take it apart dunk it in hot water and dry it, replace the bedding and mice in 5-10 minutes. I also found it easier to look at (we kept it on a shelf in m book case in the Lounge Room) If you do get a Critter Trail, you'll have to buy another wheel, the one that comes with them isn't very nice, mice can go flying out of them (funny at the start, but it was quite dangerous) I ended up buying a plastic ball shaped wheel, and they loved it, plus it didn't squeek or make the wire rattle on the cage. Also, I found that the Water Bottles that came with them leaked a lot, so I bought one of those caps to over the gap, and a dripper bottle (like Guinea Pig ones, but much smaller) And you could poke it through the bars.

Bedding is alos important, when I first got them I used rice hulls, but they were very dusty and not very absorbent, and I had to clean it out every 2 days. I then switched to Aspen bedding, and it was much much nicer, it was more expensive, but laster longer so ended up being cheaper. I used the lazy lookout as a sleeping area and put shredded paper in there, they loved making tunnels and nests in the paper, and if you put a tissue in the cage, they will shred it and use it to line their sleeping areas. (SO cute to watch)

Mice are wonderful pets, and as long as you handle them often, they are fine with it. I would often sit on the couch watching tv with a mouse sitting in the palm of my hand. Except I had to hold them in a tissue, to catch any poops.

HazElnUt5

Cavy Slave
I think I found the one I am gonna get! He is at the humane society where I live, he just got there. But I have to wait until August because I am gonna be gone for the rest of this month. Man I hope he is still there!

G_Pig_lover

Cavy Slave
I have two mice sugar and Dasiy. They are so nice and really fun! I would get a wire cage for Hams. ect. that 2-3 stories. Mice like to live together in groups of 2 usally, but in mice only females will live together unless 2 males were litter mates plus males smell more! They really aren't that much money I think I got my big 2 story deluxe cage, food, and toys for around 50. Under 10 dollars a month to care for too. For bedding use Dryden under a thick layer of carefresh Trust me this is the Key to no smell!:)

Bellebelle

Cavy Slave
I love mice, my parents cant stand them so i've never actually owned one, but one day... LOL

So it's true that they smell then? Lol thats what my parents always say when i ask for one, I think its more that they get creeped out by them, Mum cant stand anything smaller then a piggy that runs around, a pity in my opinion.

Emma

Aertyn

Cavy Gazer
Bellebelle (btw, is that name taken from Thowra's mother from "The Silver Brumby"?), male mice tend to smell more than female mice. But if you keep the cage clean, you really shouldn't be able to smell anything. I used Aspen and spot cleaned every few days, and their was no smell to speak off.

Bellebelle

Cavy Slave
Lol, no its from my first pig, a constant reminder of why it pays to go to a good vet (Belle had blood in her pee but the vet continually told us she had cystitis, we finally went to another vet, within 20 minutes we knew that a bladder stone had almost ripped her bladder in half, there was nothing left to do so she was put to sleep)

Okay thanks, I wonder if i could get my Mum to admit shes scared of mice? hmmm LOL.

Emma

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.