PDA

View Full Version : Store bought cage

x-Beck-x
06-19-06, 06:26 am
Hey guys, I know majority of you that keep your guinea pigs inside use the coroplast/storage cube cages.. I was just wondering though, are there ANY store bought cages that would be suitable for two guinea pigs?

Jennicat
06-19-06, 06:30 am
I've never seen one that did more than meet the bare minimum of 7.5 square feet. Even then, you're likely to have a lot of problems with two pigs in such a small area, especially if they're boars. I have two females that tend to squabble with each other in a 3x4, so I'd hate to see them try to cohabitate in a 2x3!

x-Beck-x
06-19-06, 06:33 am
Thanks for that.. I really love the storage cube cages.. I just worry that I'd not be able to make the coroplast bottom properly! Also, If I didn't have the floor space for a 3x4, could I do a 2x3 and maybe have it double leveled? Or do the need they space over one level? Sorry if my questions seem dumb but I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing before I go ahead and do things wrong!

Jennicat
06-19-06, 06:47 am
It seems a little daunting the first time you do it, but trust me, I'm the world's worst craftperson, and I managed to assemble one. That really won me over to their ease of construction.

Ideally, you don't want to make a two story cage that's 2x3. The ramp going up to the top level takes away space on the bottom which makes it seem even smaller. You could do several variations on cage size and shape, though. You could do a 2x4 and it should be plenty big for a pair of pigs. Or a 3x3. I have mine in 3x4s because I have three pigs in each cage. :)

katiecavyNC
06-19-06, 08:20 am
If you have a little more room, you can do a 1x1 stairwell on the end of your cage for the ramps. That's what we did, and it doesn't take any room away from the interior since the openings for the ramps are on the sides of the main living space, and not cut through the bottom.

extensiblecow
06-19-06, 11:02 pm
The petshop at Macquarie Centre, North Ryde (that is if you're in Sydney - you didn't put your location on your profile) starts selling cages for critters. Recently, I saw this huge plastic cage, where it has a cool loft. You have the option to close the loft up too. Judging from the look of that plastic thing, I estimated it to be about the same size as 2x3 with 2 storey. But it does seems bulky. Probably durable for keeping GPs outdoor.

enchantingcavy
06-19-06, 11:20 pm
Hey Guys,

I know that the warehouse was selling a rabbit cage that were about 1.5metres in length not sure about the width but they did have a super large cage there. They're all sold out in QLD although might not be in other states....was a really reasonable price aswell. They sometimes get in much larger cages than most petstore cages and I guess at the same time if purchasing from the warehouse it wouldn't be supporting the petshops?

Jess

Bellebelle
06-20-06, 03:46 am
Almost all pet stores sell the large cages. I have one myself. It measures 150 long and 75 wide. So its almost a 2 x 5 size plus it has a loft and plenty of room to add more.

I have one and i paid $187.50. My parents got it for me as grids down here are virtually useless as they are such bad quality and they wanted my verandah set up to look a wee bit snazzier LOL.

Mine came from an independant pet store that dosn't sell animals and have always had decent sized cages for sale never the mini ones.

Emma

Matt & Guins
06-21-06, 03:58 am
Some petshops recently have been selling very large indoor cavy cages. They are (from memory) 240cm long x 120cm wide. They have a big plastic base, and wire top that has a door on the top and side. They also have a little 2nd storey with a ramp (but its wire so you need to put something on them).

They will, however, set you back anywhere from $150 to $200

Matt

Bellebelle
06-21-06, 05:41 am
A Cage 120 wide? I've never ever seen a cage that big hand made or other wise. How would you reach in?

Emma

VoodooJoint
06-21-06, 08:12 am
They are (from memory) 240cm long x 120cm wide. Please let us know the brand of this cage. I have never in my life seen a pre made small animal cage that measured nearly 4' x 8'.

VoodooJoint
06-21-06, 08:14 am
Almost all pet stores sell the large cages. I have one myself. It measures 150 long and 75 wide. So its almost a 2 x 5 size plus it has a loft and plenty of room to add more.I saw that cage you posted in the gallery. I deleted it because there was no way it was that big especially when I compared it to the size of the Guinea pig inside it and the water bottle.

Lissa
06-21-06, 08:51 pm
I have several store bought cages that measure 140cm by 70cm. They have an upper level. The upper level measures 50cm by 70cm. I place up to 5 sows in a cage of this size. It's plenty room as I offer the feed and water on the upper level so they have a lot of floor space to do laps. These cages set me back AU$189 for two (special buy) and AU$225 for the rest.

VoodooJoint
06-21-06, 09:04 pm
I have several store bought cages that measure 140cm by 70cm. They have an upper level. The upper level measures 50cm by 70cm. I place up to 5 sows in a cage of this size.You have got to be kidding me? You put 5 sows in a cage that measures 2.3' x 4.59' ? That is less then 2 square feet per animal. That means you had each pig in the equivalent of a cage that would measure 1'x2' or 30.48cm x 60.96cm. That is NOWHERE near enough room!

extensiblecow
06-21-06, 09:34 pm
I have several store bought cages that measure 140cm by 70cm. They have an upper level. The upper level measures 50cm by 70cm. I place up to 5 sows in a cage of this size. It's plenty room as I offer the feed and water on the upper level so they have a lot of floor space to do laps. These cages set me back AU$189 for two (special buy) and AU$225 for the rest.

Is this one of those "space shuttle" looking like cage ? :D
Any pictures ?

Lissa
06-21-06, 11:16 pm
You have got to be kidding me? You put 5 sows in a cage that measures 2.3' x 4.59' ? That is less then 2 square feet per animal. That means you had each pig in the equivalent of a cage that would measure 1'x2' or 30.48cm x 60.96cm. That is NOWHERE near enough room!

I keep up to 5 sows in each cage not 5 sows permanently. Do I need a reason as to why 5? Seems as though I do...
The reason is when it is extremely hot over the 100F mark (it is Australia you know, it's hot and balmy in summer) then I will wheel the cages inside to the air conditioned part of the house. I put 5 sows in because I think that is the maximum number of pigs it will house comfortably for a few hours. There would be no way i'd be able to bring all of my cages which are that size into the house. The house is way too small. So rather than leave them out in 100F+ weather I seemibly "cram" them into these cages to keep them cool. Can't win can I??

What I don't get is when you say that the pigs only have "1ftx 2ft each". Sure they do IF you sectioned the cage off but it's an open cage. It's not like the pigs say "Hey you, you're in my section, get out, this is my 1ft by 2 ft". They all share the cage.

Is this one of those "space shuttle" looking like cage

I'm not sure what you mean??

The cages I have are the ones with large plastic trays and a wired top and sides. There is a door at the front and one at the top. There are a few different sizes in this model, I have the largest ones. I do have a smaller one that I use as a hospital cage when required. The ones I have are big enough to climb into.

Bellebelle
06-22-06, 12:36 am
Voodoo Joint- It is that big, i use jumbo water bottles (1000 ml or 1L) and Ishy is an extremely large pig (weighs 1.6 kg). Would you prefer a picture of it next to grids? I'm extremely offended that you think i'd keep my pigs in a small cage. They are my pride and joy and theirs absolutely now way i'd waste money on a cage I thought was small. That cage IS 150 cm x 75 cm. i've measured it before quite a few times, In that picture the pig is sitting on the top level, that top level is one by two grids.

The pig in the top cage is another huge pigger, she weighs in at 1,5 kg. Have I given you any reason to think I'm lying?

A picture of the cage NEXT to a grid so you can see how big it is-
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g125/glimmercavies/Petstorecage001resize.jpg

These cages are wonderful and I highly reccomend them
Emma

enchantingcavy
06-22-06, 06:20 am
I like that idea of standing the grid next to it gosh I didn't realise how bit it was either to be honest lol WOW you couldn't of guessed....I honestly have never seen a cage that big in a petstore that was a lucky find...

Jess

extensiblecow
06-22-06, 07:35 am
I'm not sure what you mean??

The cages I have are the ones with large plastic trays and a wired top and sides. There is a door at the front and one at the top. There are a few different sizes in this model, I have the largest ones. I do have a smaller one that I use as a hospital cage when required. The ones I have are big enough to climb into.

The one at the bottom you have in your picture looks similar to those I saw selling at the pet shop at Macquarie Centre, North Ryde !

Sorry for the confusion when I asked whether it looks like "space shuttle" - kind of looks like one to me, toy sort of "space shuttle" only a rectagular one and I can imagine the GPs flying one around ! No offence intended !

I wish the pet shop sells them before I went through a month's trouble looking for those grids / wired cubes ! Could have upgraded to these !

Only thing I miss about using a standard pet shop cage is, it's easy to clean ! I am so used to rolling up newspapers, wipe down the bottom before I put in fresh newspapers !

VoodooJoint
06-22-06, 07:45 am
Voodoo Joint- It is that big,What is the brand name and make? I am still not convinced. It still looks small to me, much smaller then you say it is. I want to look up the size of that cage myself. I can tell you right away that it is nowhere near 5 feet long as you say. Especially if that grid you put up against it is a normal sized grid.

VoodooJoint
06-22-06, 07:51 am
rather than leave them out in 100F+ weather I seemibly "cram" them into these cages to keep them cool. Can't win can I?? Now you are saying you keep them outside? In another post you said you keep them in the sunroom.

No you can't win. You are keeping them outside (as you say) and only bring them in if the weather is too hot. When they come in you squash them into overcrowded cages. These, among other things you do, are not acceptable on this forum.

The cages I have are the ones with large plastic trays and a wired top and sides. So the cage is actually smaller then you say it is. This cages have tapered sides which makes the inside of the cage smaller then the outside.

C&K
06-22-06, 08:32 am
I keep up to 5 sows in each cage not 5 sows permanently. Do I need a reason as to why 5? Seems as though I do...
The reason is when it is extremely hot over the 100F mark (it is Australia you know, it's hot and balmy in summer) then I will wheel the cages inside to the air conditioned part of the house. I put 5 sows in because I think that is the maximum number of pigs it will house comfortably for a few hours. There would be no way i'd be able to bring all of my cages which are that size into the house. The house is way too small. So rather than leave them out in 100F+ weather I seemibly "cram" them into these cages to keep them cool. Can't win can I??

Pigs are really sensitive to temperature changes, even over 75 or 80 degrees F can cause problems. I would think that bringing them in from 95 to 105 degree heat to an air conditioned home could cause them to go into shock!

This site is dedicated to large indoor cages. If you want to keep your pigs outside and then jam them into cages that are too small to try and save them from the blistering heat, well, that is your business, but don't expect to convincce anyone that it is indeed, ok!

Maybe my biggest concern is; what happens the day you are not around to "rescue" them from the heat and they fry in their cages? Things happen, cars break down, people change plans, appointments run late, what then?

Percy's Mom
06-22-06, 10:02 am
If that cage on the floor is the one you're talking about Emma, approximating with the grid next to it, it's maybe 115-120cmX60-70cm on the top.

Lissa
06-22-06, 04:50 pm
The picture that Bellebelle posted are the same as my cages.

These cages are imported from the Netherlands. I'm not sure of the brand. I'll post on here after as I will ring the pet supply store where I purchased it from and get the name and model number.

Lissa
06-22-06, 05:20 pm
Now you are saying you keep them outside? In another post you said you keep them in the sunroom.

No you can't win. You are keeping them outside (as you say) and only bring them in if the weather is too hot. When they come in you squash them into overcrowded cages. These, among other things you do, are not acceptable on this forum

When did I mention they were outside? I didn't say that. Stop jumping to conclusions.
Yes they are in a sunroom which is at the back of the house. Next to the kitchen to be precise. It is fully enclosed and you have to go up 12 stairs to get to it. The sunroom can get extremely hot in summer it faces north so it gets the sun from about 1pm onwards. I installed airconditioning in two rooms of the house so the cavies can be accomodated comfortably in summer.

Last summer I bought my cages inside for a total of 6 days. So for approximately 5 hours each of the 6 days my cavies lived in supposed cramped conditions. Gee I really thought I was doing the right thing by not exposing them to such high temperatures, obviously not.

So the cage is actually smaller then you say it is. This cages have tapered sides which makes the inside of the cage smaller then the outside

The measurements of the cage is the exact floor space that I measured. The cage is exactly how I said it was. They probably have a little more space as I pack the bedding so high that it's about 2 inches from the top of the tray.

Maybe my biggest concern is; what happens the day you are not around to "rescue" them from the heat and they fry in their cages? Things happen, cars break down, people change plans, appointments run late, what then?

They are always bought inside the living room on the morning of a suspected hot day if I am going to be absent. We don't get too many extremely hot days as we live close to the beach and have a lovely cool seabreeze most summer days. As I mentioned earlier. I bought the cages inside the living room only 6 days last summer.

The pigs are never bought in from the extreme heat to the cool. I bring them in at around lunchtime if i'm home or in the morning if i'm not going to be home. The air conditioner is set to 24C in summer. This is comfortable for cavies and humans.

This site is dedicated to large indoor cages.
My cages are large indoor cages. They wouldn't be suitable for permanent outdoor use like some cages are marketed as. The top wire part can be removed and placed directly on the grass for outside time.

enchantingcavy
06-22-06, 06:04 pm
Just as an open comment on grid size if the grid beside Bellebelle's cage is the same ones I use ( i have a set of almost every colour and brand grids under the planet lol ) then they would measure approximately 35cm. It looks like atleast 4 or 4 and a half grids would frid across that cage 35 x 4 = 140cm. 4 and a half grids would make 150cm easy in length.....

Again I've never seen a petstore cage this size but going on the pic with the grid beside it if that grid is 35cm in length then the cage technically has to be 150cm in length?

Jess

pigs_r_us
06-22-06, 07:59 pm
then they would measure approximately 35cm. It looks like atleast 4 or 4 and a half grids would frid across that cage 35 x 4 = 140cm. 4 and a half grids would make 150cm easy in length.....

I use the same grids as Jess - mine are also 35cm long which would infact make Bellebelle's cage ATLEAST 140cm in length as Jess said.

I have seen photos of Bellebelles entire set up, all of her pigs have cages that a suitable size for the pigs that she keeps in them.

Percy's Mom
06-22-06, 08:07 pm
Personally, I'd like to see one of those grids and the cage with a readible measuring tape up against them. If the measurements are what a few of you seem to think they are, then fabulous, you have found a cage in a petshop that actually might be a decent size. You still could work to find materials and build a larger one for far less, but I'll concede that your petshop cage is very large. Leaning a grid that we can't really tell how large it is against a cage that the size is in question, doesn't really mean anything.

citronsoul
06-23-06, 12:48 am
They have cages that go up to 140 cm in length (& 70 width) around here. They're made by ferplast. This one doesn't look like the ferplast one, but I know that there is another company that makes cages up to 140 cm long. I don't know the name though.

They're usually sold for around $150.

Matt & Guins
06-23-06, 01:10 am
Now you are saying you keep them outside? In another post you said you keep them in the sunroom.

No you can't win. You are keeping them outside (as you say) and only bring them in if the weather is too hot.

Not sure the classification over seas - but here in australia a "sun room" is generally a former deck/balcony which has had walls/windows/roofing etc added to create an extra room in the house.

Generally the flooring is timber slats, tiles or lino - rather than carpeted or polished floorboards - as would be "indoor".

It is not technically "inside" the house - but it is completely enclosed and rain etc proof.

So the way I read it, when Lissa says she is "bringing them inside", was that she was doing exactly that - taking them into the actual house.

Matt

Aertyn
06-23-06, 01:15 am
I went to Chadstone the other week, and was walking past Pet's Paradise (which is anything but a Paradise), and they had a couple of cages on display, one was standing on it's end, and it was almost as tall as me, about 150 cm high, and about 60-70 cm wide. It was a metal cage, with one of those enclosed sleeping areas, but you could actually remove the sleeping area, so it could be a completly open cage. I think it was about $200 or something. I think their smallest cage was about 80cm long, and 60cm wide, and cost about $70. I was pretty impressed by how big they were, but then went and had a rant at the people working their because the kept the pigs and rabbits together, on straw, in a glass cage, and fed them grains. They had great big wonderful cages, sold pig bedding, and pellets, but used none of them. Go figure.

Bellebelle
06-23-06, 01:19 am
Sigh, ok I'll go put a meausring tape against it, or are you just wanting to believe that the cage is small no matter what i do?

No idea on make or brand, Bought it from a feed produce store that only had the one set up and couldnt find the box.

The grid is from the a pack of the grids bought at Bunnings, Its 35 cm x 35 cm. The Grid is a normal grid.

I tried to take a pic with a measuring tape next to it but it didnt work too well. You cant read the numbers on the tape unless you do a close up then I'm sure you guys would accuse me of just moving the tape.

The cage is 75 cm deep. Other people have seen my whole set up and not once have they complained that my cages are too small. Jess accepted me as acceptable to adopt 3 pigs from her rescue after seeing my set up. And all she saw was pictures as shes in another state entirely.

Thanks Pigs_r_us and Enchantingcavies...

Emma

Fluffball
06-23-06, 01:22 am
Just on a side note. When you measure the pet store cages you have to measure the inside not the outside length and width, to get a complete and acurate measurement.

The inside area is what your pet will be in not around the cage. So if you have only measured the outside make sure you measure the inside to get the right measurement.

enchantingcavy
06-23-06, 01:38 am
Em I have an idea...

Why don't you get the tapmeasure and measure the length of one grid like take a photo of the grid with the tape measure...then either put however many grids it'll take and put them along the length of the cage then people could work out the exact measurement that way....or by looking at your photo with the one grid alongside the cage i guess that'd work aswell...alot of effort i know lol but i guess its another method to try the tape measure idea with...

Jess

Bellebelle
06-23-06, 01:41 am
I've measured the inside.

Emma

Bellebelle
06-23-06, 01:43 am
Lol I will when it gets light again. I'm not the best photographer and my camera works best using natural sunlight, otherwise all you'll get is a blurry pic.

Emma

daftscotslass
06-23-06, 02:08 am
It's also important to remember that due to the shape of the base of the pet shop cage that you should be measuring the smallest dimensions of the bottom of the plastic base, not the wire top part. This is the useable area.

pigs_r_us
06-23-06, 02:29 am
lol poor emma, going to all of this trouble....as if the grid next to the cage wasnt enough. call me stupid but do grids vary in size that much?

Bellebelle
06-23-06, 02:36 am
Ummm you can get Mini grids that are like 15 x 15 and bigger grids that are 37 x 37. Thats all teh sizes I know.

Emma

Lissa
06-23-06, 06:25 am
I couldn't get the name of the cage but the importer is called Pets International Australia.

The company responsible for making the cage is found at this website: http://www.goedkoperkanniet.com

Go to: Konijn (http://www.gkn-dierenbenodigdheden.nl/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=5&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1) then Konijnenkooien (http://www.gkn-dierenbenodigdheden.nl/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=27&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1) then Konijnenkooi (on the left side bar)

Unless you can translate then I think you're going to have trouble reading it.

VoodooJoint
06-23-06, 08:14 am
When did I mention they were outside? I didn't say that. Stop jumping to conclusions.Read your quote below and tell be how that is suposed to be interpreted.

There would be no way i'd be able to bring all of my cages which are that size into the house. The house is way too small. So rather than leave them out in 100F+ weather I seemibly "cram" them into these cages to keep them cool.

I know what a sunroom is and it seems to be close to the same thing here as it is there but it is still considered part of the house, an indoor part.

daftscotslass
06-23-06, 09:21 am
I couldn't get the name of the cage but the importer is called Pets International Australia.

The company responsible for making the cage is found at this website: http://www.goedkoperkanniet.com

Go to: Konijn (http://www.gkn-dierenbenodigdheden.nl/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=5&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1) then Konijnenkooien (http://www.gkn-dierenbenodigdheden.nl/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=27&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1) then Konijnenkooi (on the left side bar)

Unless you can translate then I think you're going to have trouble reading it.

It's in Dutch and I can translate any part of the site should anyone need it.

Percy's Mom
06-23-06, 09:57 am
I couldn't read the words, but the measurements are clear enough to get a good idea. I'm assuming the cage on that page is the bottom largest one?

citronsoul
06-23-06, 09:58 am
I'm going to have to bookmark that page. That cage is pretty cheap, considering its size. And one of their locations is only about an hour away from me, so if I'm ever in the neighbourhood, I'll be sure to check those cages out.

Lissa
06-23-06, 05:04 pm
I know what a sunroom is and it seems to be close to the same thing here as it is there but it is still considered part of the house, an indoor part.

Oh Well SOOORRY!!

It used to be an open verandah. We then roofed it and enclosed it. We still call it the out part of the house as it is away from the actual living area and we don't do much living in there (I do but the rest of the family doesn't). It used to be the entertainment area until the pigs took over. We have a BBQ and used to have an table and chairs setting but we don't do much entertaining these days. It's got a small table and chairs out there now just for me and my visitors and I often sit out and do some paperwork or have a coffee and watch the pigs.

If any Aussies know of the "Queensland Room" then it is very similar to one of those.

I'm not fussed on what any of you do and don't believe. I've had a few people who are members of this forum over and they can vouch for my cage location and set up.

It's a no wonder I hear so many nasty stories about this forum. The attitude of the moderators and some of the general members is terrible.

CavySpirit
06-23-06, 06:16 pm
Oh Well SOOORRY!!

. . .

It's a no wonder I hear so many nasty stories about this forum. The attitude of the moderators and some of the general members is terrible.

You need to cool your jets. It's your attitude that needs work. Your earlier post, as VJ re-quoted to you, left no doubt as to picture you painted your cavies in. Perhaps you should be a bit more careful in what you write. No assumptions were made. You stated facts about your situation. We responded to those facts.

You could have/should have realized that you misspoke about your situation and clarified it rather than copping an attitude yourself.

And if you have experience on this and other forums as you claim to, then you should know that we have yet to come across a vendor of properly-sized cages available in stores. If there is one, great. We also still stand by our guidelines of the appropriate number of pigs to space. You clarified that it was only for a few hours a few days a year. No one jumped to conclusions. Your initial posts were woefully lacking. That's your issue.

Percy's Mom
06-23-06, 06:31 pm
The attitude of the moderators and some of the general members is terrible.I'm sorry you feel that way. From the general tone of most of your posts, your own attitude leaves a lot to be desired as well. If being questioned about the living conditions of your animals bothers you, provide the details you've been asked for instead of arguing about it. We respond based on the facts that we have.

Fact#1 - For the most part, pet store cages are too small. If someone says they have a huge pet store cage, we're going to ask for the brand and model of the cage or a picture showing a legible marked measuring device, so the size can be verified.

Fact#2 - Pigs should not live full time outside or in an enclosed room that is not climate controlled. We're going to protest and question why they're living "outside" even if there are walls and a roof if the temperature is not steadily at a reasonible temperature.

Bellebelle
06-23-06, 06:39 pm
Lissa- Thats not the cage I have, Mine is all white with an odd fancy dancy loft mezzanine area.

Mines very close to it though, same size as well. If you click on the image it takes you to a page with the measurements.

Emma

albert
06-23-06, 07:17 pm
Oh Well SOOORRY!!

It used to be an open verandah. We then roofed it and enclosed it. We still call it the out part of the house as it is away from the actual living area and we don't do much living in there (I do but the rest of the family doesn't). It used to be the entertainment area until the pigs took over. We have a BBQ and used to have an table and chairs setting but we don't do much entertaining these days. It's got a small table and chairs out there now just for me and my visitors and I often sit out and do some paperwork or have:sarcastic of those.

I'm not fussed on what any of you do and don't believe. I've had a few people who are members of this forum over and they can vouch for my cage location and set up.

Percy's Mom
06-23-06, 07:20 pm
Why did you quote her post if you weren't going to add anything to it or make a comment albert? We all read it the first time.

x-Beck-x
06-23-06, 07:23 pm

Do you know what brand these cages are? Are they up on a stand, or on ground level?

albert
06-23-06, 07:31 pm
"It's a no wonder I hear so many nasty stories about this forum. The attitude of the moderators and some of the general members is terrible."

I have to agree with Liss here. I to have heard of nasty stories and bad attitudes from mods. I've never had one person encourage me to come to this site, but I have had quite a few say not to go there because of bad attitudes and how you are treated.

Lissa
06-23-06, 07:51 pm
Lissa- Thats not the cage I have, Mine is all white with an odd fancy dancy loft mezzanine area

These are the cages I have. They do come in different colours but I wanted all white ones.

I thought by looking at your picture Bellebelle that your cages are the same as mine and the same as the ones on the website

I don't use the hay rack that was supplied as I found the hay would get stuck in the bars and it would also fall out everywhere on the floor. The waterbottle that was supplied also used to leak.

Lissa
06-23-06, 07:55 pm
Do you know what brand these cages are? Are they up on a stand, or on ground level?

No brand is mentioned on the cage. I phoned my produce store yesterday and he said the Pets International is the importer. I guess if you were to go to your local pet supply shop (please don't support the pet shops that sell pets) then they may be able to have a look through the catalogues and find out for you. They are usually a special order item so it may take a few weeks to arrive.

Percy's Mom
06-23-06, 08:33 pm
To anyone who wants to whine about people being mean and/or rude:

If you don't agree with the information being presented or the fact that a lot of times we are FAR more concerned with the well-being of an animal than being someone's best friend, by all means leave. Just don't pollute the rest of the forum with a lot of histrionic flouncing on your way out. There are a lot of forums where you will be welcomed with open arms. You will also find that those same forums are usually pro-breeding and advocate a lot of bad and sometimes dangerous information.

If you would take 5 minutes to read the information being presented and take it to heart, you would realize that your guinea pigs will live much longer, happier healthier lives. We're not going to sugar coat anything just to make someone feel better about what they might be doing wrong that we disagree with. However, if you take a deep breath, stop worrying about your own fragile feelings, and think more about your animals, you will find that Cavy Cages can be quite an entertaining place to be in addition to a phenomenal source of information.

BabyGrl
06-23-06, 08:59 pm
To anyone who wants to whine about people being mean and/or rude:

If you don't agree with the information being presented or the fact that a lot of times we are FAR more concerned with the well-being of an animal than being someone's best friend, by all means leave. Just don't pollute the rest of the forum with a lot of histrionic flouncing on your way out. There are a lot of forums where you will be welcomed with open arms. You will also find that those same forums are usually pro-breeding and advocate a lot of bad and sometimes dangerous information.

If you would take 5 minutes to read the information being presented and take it to heart, you would realize that your guinea pigs will live much longer, happier healthier lives. We're not going to sugar coat anything just to make someone feel better about what they might be doing wrong that we disagree with. However, if you take a deep breath, stop worrying about your own fragile feelings, and think more about your animals, you will find that Cavy Cages can be quite an entertaining place to be in addition to a phenomenal source of information.

Testify sister Libby testify. Halleluja.

VoodooJoint
06-23-06, 10:47 pm
x-Beck-x
I deleted your post. Flouncing is not allowed here. If you want to go then leave. You need not act like a 2 year old having a tantrum to do it. Do it again and I will lock the forum door behind you for a week.

x-Beck-x
06-23-06, 11:54 pm
How do I permanently cancel my membership on here?

enchantingcavy
06-24-06, 12:42 am
Hey guys,

I found the cage on ebay in australia....their ya go lol 150cm in length...

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RABBIT-GUINEA-PIG-HUTCH_W0QQitemZ250000622300QQihZ015QQcategoryZ6351 3QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That came in handy finding that link lol that's the same cage isn't it?

Jess

CavySpirit
06-24-06, 01:25 am
How do I permanently cancel my membership on here?

See this thread: http://www.cavycages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11473

Bellebelle
06-24-06, 01:46 am
Yup thats my cage, it has a different coloured hay rack but its the same cage. It also came with a litter box.

So that's two different sites both giving the same size for a cage, do you still believe its a tiny cage that is just cruel for anything that lives in it? Because it isn't.

Emma

Lissa
06-24-06, 02:28 am
Hmm maybe someone will believe us now when we say that decent sized cages can be bought from stores.

Nah probably not.......

daftscotslass
06-24-06, 03:49 am
Hmm maybe someone will believe us now when we say that decent sized cages can be bought from stores.

Nah probably not.......

This is the Cavy Cages site (or at least it was last time I looked). It's a site about a specific type of cage. Why should it promote anything but?

Besides, give me a C&C cage for twice the size and a quarter of the price of one of those so-called "decent sized" cages any day.

Bellebelle
06-24-06, 04:27 am
Considering the price of Corflute and Cubes down here... my petstore cage is cheaper and larger then a C&C cage I could make.

Emma

VoodooJoint
06-24-06, 08:22 am
Despite your snottyness Lissa and Bellebelle I am going to have to say that the cage Bellebelle listed does seem to meet minimum size requirements, to a degree.

I looked over the site and measurements. Now it's hard to be certain that one of the measurements is for depth not height and if they are reversed it does not meet minimum size but I'm willing to give forth the benefit of the doubt and assume the longer length is for depth.

Taking into account the actual inside usable space and deducting some centemeters from the sites outside measurements that cage seems to meet the minimum size recommended and measures approx. 8 sq. feet or about 2' 4.5'. It still is NOT a 2x5 though so I was right in my deductions. It would be closer in size to a C&C 2x3

It is suitable for a single GP (which is never recommended) or 2 sows. 2 boars should not be housed in a cage that size though and certainly not 5 sows. So Ms. Lissa, you can stop acting so smug. Don't forget, that is Bellebelle's cage NOT yours where you house 5 sows. In fact your cage is smaller then Bellebelle's isn't it?

Now, on to other matters.

What kind of site do you people think you are on?

Did you all fail to notice that you are on a site called CavyCages? The title should give the site theme away. We are about getting away from small cages and making larger enclosures. If you state that you keep your animals in pet store cages you will be questioned. If you state you keep 5 sows in one pet store cage you will make people disgusted.

This is not one of those bubblegum forums where anything goes. There are no breeders/rescuers/petstore buyers coexisting in blissful communal apathy here. There will be no, "ohhh your guinea pigs are so cute, it's too bad the mother died giving birth, good luck next time". I DON'T THINK SO!

You are on a forum that takes a firm stance on animal welfare. We mods are not here to be your friends, or to even really keep the peace. We are here to keep this forum on track and to correct bad information. We were given the jobs because we are tough and unwaivering in our views. We are not here to coddle the kiddies that come here. If you are old enough to be using a computer and join a forum you are old enough to learn and take account for your words and actions.

When you join a forum with very strong views then feathers will get ruffled. Not everyone likes what we have to say. Especially the breeders, the hobbiests, the petstores and anyone that in not willing to accept that THEY CAN DO BETTER FOR THEIR PETS IF THEY ONLY CARED ENOUGH. There are plenty of members on this forum that started out the wrong way. I was one of them. My first GP was in a small cage for a little less then a month. I fed her crappy food, not enough hay and she had a salt wheel. I did my research, found C&C and realized I can do much better. The key though is that I cared enough to actually do better. I built a bigger cage and found my GP a friend.

Those of you who wish to leave can go. We aren't going to try to talk you into staying. You can go and find your cotton candy, bubblegum forum full of magical rainbows and unicorn guinea pigs. You will also find breeders, poor information and an unwillingness to stand up and really speak in a firm voice for the animals.

I'll be staying here where my voice is welcome and I can learn further how to end neglect and abuse with people of similar mind. Here with people willing to go beyond the rainbows and get in the mud to make a differance.

fourbwabbys
06-24-06, 10:43 am
Very well said, VJ.

daftscotslass
06-24-06, 12:19 pm
Hear hear, VJ.

Fluffball
06-24-06, 08:58 pm
Wonderfully said VJ! Im an Australian cavy owner and I love the c& c cages. Mine didnt cost that much at all ($100) and I can add upper levels as much as I like, change it and adapt it to my will. I can make hay racks and cavy furniture out of the grids easily. This forum has a tough stance on guinea pig welfare that I often find lacking in Australia.

Bellebelle
06-25-06, 12:11 am
Please may i mention, My cage is NOT 8 square feet. It is 12.5 square feet. I have measured it over and over. 150 cm=5 feet, 75 cm=2.5 feet.

How have I been snotty? I have explained my reasons clearly and concisely. how does that equal snottiness?

Emma

Gunnedah
06-25-06, 01:25 am
I just cant believe Em and Liss that you have had to justify yor cages

daftscotslass
06-25-06, 03:10 am

Did you read the above post? Of course they have to justify them. This is NOT www.petstorecages.com.

Gunnedah
06-25-06, 03:24 am
Where in the rules does it say that you have to justify your cages or anything for that matter.

daftscotslass
06-25-06, 03:36 am
Where in the rules does it say that you have to justify your cages or anything for that matter.

Where in the rules does it say you don't have to justify your cages or anything for that matter?

If you look at the main page you will see that this site was built to show people about a particular type of cage. It is not here to promote pet store cages. If you read http://www.cavycages.com/petstorecages.htm you will see that none of the large cages found could meet the size recommendations. All of a sudden someone comes along and says that their bought cage does meet the size recommendation. Of course it is hard to believe. So people want evidence. You seem to think that is unreasonable. Why?

VoodooJoint
06-25-06, 08:11 am
Where in the rules does it say that you have to justify your cages or anything for that matter.I will simply remind you to scroll up to the top of the page and READ the title of this website and forum. Then refer you to the post I wrote regarding this issue http://www.cavycages.com/forum/showpost.php?p=215434&postcount=65

VoodooJoint
06-25-06, 08:29 am
Please may i mention, My cage is NOT 8 square feet. It is 12.5 square feet. I have measured it over and over. 150 cm=5 feet, 75 cm=2.5 feet.
Outside measurements = 150cm = 4.92feet x 75cm = 2.46feet Total OUTSIDE square feet = 12.10 square feet (already less then what you are getting)

Minus 2 cm each side for plastic width and ledge that holds the wire top on 147cm = 4.82feet x 72cm = 2.36feet Total square feet = 11.38 square feet

Minus 6cm per side to take into account pan taper wich further reduces the inside space
135cm = 4.43feet x 60cm = 1.97feet Total INSIDE square feet = 8.73 square feet

That is how I got my measurements.

How have I been snotty? I have explained my reasons clearly and concisely. how does that equal snottiness?

Emma You are correct. I reread the thread and I attributed a comment to you that Lissa made. I am sorry for my comment. I was mistaken.