PDA

View Full Version : Effecient

candypigpig
06-15-06, 09:58 am
I'm trying to find the easiest most convienient way to clean Sanchez's cage. i bought disposable gloves and pick up each poop individually. Could I, in theory, vacuum?? i'm thinking of switching to shavings? What do you all think? right now I have 2x2 of flece, 2x2 of shredded paper, 1x3 of towel.

VoodooJoint
06-15-06, 10:01 am
I use a dust buster to suck up the poops off the fleece.

I would not try to vacuum or dustbust if you have shavings though. BAD news for the vacuum.

candypigpig
06-15-06, 10:06 am
I use a dust buster to suck up the poops off the fleece.

I would not try to vacuum or dustbust if you have shavings though. BAD news for the vacuum.

Do you think that going to shavings is a bad idea? Fleece just seems so diffucult to clean. I live in an appartment building with no washing machine so I cant just wash fleece when I want to. I feel like carefresh or shavings might be a better choice of me and Sanchez right now. What kind of shavings should i look for?

VoodooJoint
06-15-06, 10:10 am
Shavings are fine to use. It's a personal choice. Just don't try to vacuum them.

If you use wood shavings either get kiln dried or descented pine or aspen. When I used shavings I usually would buy a big bag of pine and descent it myself by allowing it to air out well before use.

You could use carefresh or that type of bedding too and some people choose to mix their wood and carefresh beddings.

candypigpig
06-15-06, 10:13 am
Thanks Ly.

Could I use fleece then put care fresh under it? for absorbency. or would that be dumb? :-P

VoodooJoint
06-15-06, 10:14 am
You could probably do that but I think the carefresh may stick to the fleece pretty bad. I'm not sure though. Maybe someone else around here has tried it.

Ly&Pigs
06-15-06, 11:59 am
Thanks Ly. I think you meant VJ as I haven't posted on this thread until now. Maybe you need to thank VJ instead, haha.

VoodooJoint
06-15-06, 12:01 pm
Ly - didn't you notice that you and I have merged into one freakish mod entity?

Percy's Mom
06-15-06, 12:22 pm
Who has which half of the brain today?

VoodooJoint
06-15-06, 12:33 pm
We each have a whole brain ever since we stole yours PM.

Percy's Mom
06-15-06, 12:57 pm
Dang it! Then whose brain do I have? Susan, salana, and Teresa seem to all have theirs.

And in answer to the question posed in the initial post of the thread, for Percy's smaller cage that I have him in recovering until he moves in with the girls, I have a small broom and dustpan that I picked up at Dollar Tree. It works great for poop clean up.

Ly&Pigs
06-15-06, 01:28 pm
Ly - didn't you notice that you and I have merged into one freakish mod entity?*Laughs hysterically*. Yeah we can know be known as Voodooly, hahahhaha.

C&K
06-15-06, 01:33 pm
Dang it! Then whose brain do I have?

I am thinking some poor trouts?

C&K
06-15-06, 01:39 pm
Could I use fleece then put care fresh under it? for absorbency. or would that be dumb? :-P

I killed a vaccum with cage cleanings, using pure fleece. As my husband pointed out, in ancient history, they may bricks out of manure and straw, well, piggy poop and hay have a way of doing the same in the hose!

Dustbusters or shop vacs are better up for this sort of job, save your good household vac for cleaning up messes outside of the cage!

Shavings and fleece do not mix, make a huge mess. I have had good luck though with using 1/2 fleece on one side of the cage with an absorbent material (flannel sheets) under it, and on the other side, Yesterdays News for Cat Litter boxes. It really seems to grab the odours even from the fleece side and lock them down well.

Trial and error with different arrangements is really the only way you will find what works for you!

candypigpig
06-15-06, 03:18 pm
I think you meant VJ as I haven't posted on this thread until now. Maybe you need to thank VJ instead, haha.

HAHAH! I'm dumb...Sorry VJ! I was reading a post prior to the repost I made and your name was the last I read...ops!:D

candypigpig
06-15-06, 03:21 pm
Oh Okay thatnks every one. I went to the store and got this stuff called Soft-Sorbent. Its like tiny pieces of carefresh. so far so good.