Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

hi yall, from texas!

debarah

Cavy Slave
hi, my name is debarah, i am a stay at home mom to 4 children, 1 poodle, and 2 piggies.. i love to spoil them rotten and spend as much time with them as i can.. my piggies are rescue piggies, honey bee came to us about 2 months ago, she was abandoned by her teenaged owner and left at a neighbors house, they in turn posted her on a pet forum and i ask to have her.. she is such a sweetie pie, she is chocolate and white with a hint of a rust color, she is crested.. i am also a mommie to lamby kinz, he was dumped out in the trash to be thrown away on a very cold day.. its a wonder he survived, the person i got him from found him one morning before the trash men came around, she was walking her dog and her dog started barking at the trash, she peeked inside a small cage and found my lamby all curled up,super skinny, scared and shivering from the cold, she brought him inside the house and warmed him up, she posted him on a website, i saw her story and my heart just ached to have him,, he is now very spoiled, much bigger and brave boy.. i just love him.. we have to keep our piggies in seperate cages because they do not get along.. the piggies were actually for my daughter, but i kind of took over..lol.. i thought about getting them companions.. what do you guys think.. we have the room for them and i am learning off this website how to make a much bigger cage, we are setting out this weekend for supplies to build the cages.. my piggies have their own room in our house.. did i mention they are spoiled (smile)..
well thanks for any advice yall can give me and i hope to make lots of friends..
deb

nonamian_girl

Cavy Slave
Maybe you could try reintroducing them after you make a bigger cage--but only if one of them is spayed or neutered, since they are of opposite sex.

Welcome aboard, do you have any pictures?

C&K

Cavy Slave
Welcome!

So you have a girl and a boy right now? Are they housed together (Sorry if that is a stupid question!) I know there is a vet in Dallas that will do a fairly inexpensive Neuter, Texas Rustlers uses him all the time. Don't quote me on it, but I think it is under $100.00 and the vet is knowledgable and good at it!

If you want to get more, you have to consider either keeping males and females apart (which you would have to do if you don't get anyone neutered anyway) in two separate enclosures, or if you want to have the male neutered and with the rest of them, you need to think about getting only females for a large Harem. Generally, males will not get along with eachother if they are with girls, they will fight for them! The exception is if you have more of a free range situation with a huge area to keep them in, and then they may still fight from time to time.

Texas Rustlers has a lot of pigs. Your area has no shortage of unwanted pigs, probably why these pigs where both abandoned, the owners just could not find new homes for them. You can check the paper, or area shelters, they have a high euth rate I believe if T.R. does not pick them up, I have heard of them having nearly a 100 pigs at a time in their home in effort to save area pigs!

Also, the mod Susan here I believe still has some boys she is looking to rehome, but with having a female already in the mix, I don't know if that would work out or not...

Good luck!

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Hello. Welcome to the forum. What area of Texas are you from?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Hi debarah and welcome to Cavy Cages.

You may not have had a chance to read the forum rules yet. Please do take the time to read over all of our Policies and Guidelines. We want you to get the maximum enjoyment and value from our forum. Proper posting is a firm requirement here and helps us keep a high standard of readability. We require posters to use proper capitalization, punctuation and avoid chat speak. We ask this in part because this is an International forum and we have many members that do not use English as a first language. Improper writing can be difficult for them to read.

Thank you very much for your attention to these details. We look forward to your continued participation.

Also there is a newbie guide here in the introduction forum that provides many great links. If you haven't read it, you might want to do so.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Cavies and Kids said:
Are they housed together (Sorry if that is a stupid question!)
Debarah stated in her post- "we have to keep our piggies in seperate cages because they do not get along".

jdomans

Cavy Slave
After you get the feel for the group and look at our cages, you have many options.
Get Lammy Kinz neutered , build a larger cage for say 3 or 4 pigs, do proper introductions with your two and then look for two more girls to adopt to make a 4 some.
If you have a pig room you can make two large cages. One can be a 2 x4 and get another boar from Lammy Kinz. You can make the same or larger for your female and get her 1 or 2 more female friends.

There are many possibilites.
Glad you joined us.

debarah

Cavy Slave
hello everyone,
Well I went out today and bought a baby piggie for my honeybee, she absolutely loves her, she is a silky, black, chocolate and cream color. I have been looking at the cages on this site, my what beautiful cages. I am planning on making a bigger cage this weekend. I used your advice and introduced them slowly last night again, we have had both of them for a little over a month now, last nights introduction went well, they chattered at each other but no fights. i am also going to be getting lamby neutered in a week, i made an appointment at a vets office, they will charge me $55.00 i thought that was mor than reasonable. we also adopted a small baby bunny today, he is white with brown around his eyes, near his nose, his ears are brown and he has 5 small brown spots down the middle of his back, i will try to posts pictures later. he is adorable, and so soft and cuddley. we have not named our newest piggie yet, and it is a girl, and we have not named our bunny as of yet, any suggestions?
thanks
debarah

Dr Doughnut

Cavy Slave
Yo dawg, im from texas too

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave

C&K

Cavy Slave
That is so sad, I would think after rescuing 2 pigs, you would realize how much in need so many pigs are in your area. I responded both here and in another thread you participated in that there are 100's of pigs in need of homes, more then can ever possibly find good homes. I can't imagine how many pigs are euthed every day in your area!

Also, don't be surprised if your new "buddy" comes jam packed with parasites and bacteria that will be shared with your two current pigs! She also stands a good chance of being pregnant, so be prepared for that. Lice, mange mites, fungal infections, ringworm, pregnancy, URI's, UTI's, the list goes on and on ... All very common in petstore pigs! We always suggest a 3 week quarintine to prevent the transimition of these nasties to your current pigs. At the very least, a vet visit would be a good idea.

debarah

Cavy Slave
hi cavy,
i guess i did not make my self clear from the last posting, i did say i purchased a baby for my honey bee and adopted a bunny as well.. by saying purchased, i did not imply that i had "bought" from a pet store.. i did take your advice and checked out my local shelters, they had baby piggies and a few baby bunnies, i had adopted one of each because, i could not just walk out and not get one of each, my heart melted when i saw them. so.. yes i did adopt... i also anticipate some problems and tomorrow they are going in to visit our local vet for a check up, i immediately made an appointment as soon as i brought them home. i am hoping by adopting from our shelter that i wouldnt have as many problems as a "petstore" pet, but we will find out tomorrow, thanks for your advice,
by the way, we named the bunny Domino, we still havent figured out a name for our piggie.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Debarah, I asked you once already to read the rules and start posting correctly. Apparently I've been ignored and this Moderator doesn't like to be ignored when she gives warnings. Read the Policies and Guidelines link that is posted twice above. 3 warnings and you are banned for a week. This is warning #2.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Debarah you will soon see that we use the words adopt and bought in two entirely different ways. Yes you paid an adoption fee. So glad to hear you adopted. I too wondered and just didn't reply because I was very disappointed and confused!
You do know that the bun can't be with the piggers? Also since you did get them from a shelter and not from a private rescuer you are wise in the vet appointment. My girls came from a GP rescuer and she routinely gives out mite treatment to all pigs that come to her. I think in shelters many run across a situation of the volunteers not knowing much at all about small pets.

Can;t wait to see pictures of the family.

debarah

Cavy Slave
Hi, Dr. Doughnut, What part of Texas are you from? I am in Arlington. How Many Guinea Pigs do you have?
Debarah

debarah

Cavy Slave
I still need to come up with a name for our youngest GP member, any suggestions? The bunnies name is Domino, he will not be placed with our Guinea Pigs, I already built a seperate cage for him. Any suggestions for naming our baby GP will be helpful. She is black in the front with a little white stripe on her nose, a band of white in the middle, a band of tan, and then back end is black.
Thank you,
Debarah

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum.

Texas Rustlers

Cavy Slave
Which shelter did you adopt from?

I am surprised we didn't get a call on her, pretty much all the DFW shelters call us when they have piggies

Texas Rustlers

Cavy Slave
Please also let us know which vet you are using. We would love to be able to recommend a cavy savvy vet in Arlington that is so inexpensive.

$55 is for a neuter is very reasonable - do you know if they use iso or sevo?

debarah

Cavy Slave
Hi, I had gotten her from a shelter in Ft.Worth, it is on Lancaster street in Ft. Worth, a friend and I went to go see the bunnies, she wanted to adopt a baby bunny and a woman pulled up with a very small cage, so me, being as curious as I am, asked to see what was in the cage. There was a mother GP and a baby. I had asked her why she was dropping them off. She said that she was moving into an apartment and they did not allow pets, plus her daughter was not taking care of the (she cursed) rodents. My jaw dropped when she called them rodents, those poor precious babies. My friend jumped into our conversation and asked the woman if she could have the piggies. I said that I would be interested in adopting the baby, which is 5 weeks, according to her. She handed over the cage, we went to go see the rabbits, I adopted a bunny and made a $50 donation to the shelter because I felt badly for interfering with the proper adoption process for the guinea pig. I am hoping I did the right thing. To me it is still adopting(I mean I did give them $50, so technically I did purchase her). I did tell the lady behind the counter why I was donating $50, I explained to her about the woman we had met in the parking lot. The shelter lady just told me she did not want to know what happened in the parking lot and that atleast I am making a donation, and to please make sure I get them checked by a vet. The baby and the rabbit has an appointment for the vet tomorrow, I had been taking my other Piggies to a vet on Parkrow and Bowen, here in Arlington, sorry I can not remember the vets name.
Neutering will be done at Sam's All Pets located on Collins street here in Arlington. That vet is also very reasonable with prices, and said he also charges $55 for small dogs. I am not sure how good he is, so I hope I can trust him. Has anyone used him? or know of him? Also has anyone thought of a name to name our baby?
Thanks
Debarah

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.