Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

UK Food

dream lopz

Cavy Slave
What food do you use? like Gerty Guinea Pig or Supa Guinea Excel? By the way my pet shop is Pets at home Cardiff...

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I've heard that a lot of owners like gerty guinea food. Its up to you and your pigs really.

dream lopz

Cavy Slave
what do you feed?

What do you use? the thing is I would never feed my rabbits russel rabbit because it is a mix and a load of rubbish. BUT I was wondering if it was the same thing for guinea pigs or is it different? I thought maybe supaguinea because I feed my rabbits supa rabbit! I have a feeling Gerty Guinea pig is better! lol :0)

Treen

Cavy Slave
A plain pellet is far, far better than a mixed feed like Gerty any day of the week. There are certain bits in Gerty that are healthier than others (although quite a few things they really don't need in their diet at all) and if you have more than one pig, you don't know if one pig is getting all the junk (not that you really want any of them to be having it!). With a good quality plain pellet, you know what they're eating and it what ratios.

What I dislike most about Gerty is that they use artificial colourings in the food (those brightly coloured biscuity bits). Why on earth do they think it's necessary to introduce crud like that in to a guinea pig's diet? The CCT are very anti-Gerty for all the rubbish it contains, and quite convinced that trying to process these chemicals puts undue stress on their livers and kidneys too.

For guinea pigs over six months of age, a timothy based pellet is ideal. Oxbow's Cavy Cuisine seems to be the only one we can get in the UK (broken link removed). However if you can't get it or think the price is a tad high then I think Burgess Guinea Excel is the best you can get over here. It's so much better balanced for their nutritional needs than Gerty. Have a look at this page for the pros and cons of some commercial feeds (broken link removed).

dream lopz

Cavy Slave
Treen said:
A plain pellet is far, far better than a mixed feed like Gerty any day of the week. There are certain bits in Gerty that are healthier than others (although quite a few things they really don't need in their diet at all) and if you have more than one pig, you don't know if one pig is getting all the junk (not that you really want any of them to be having it!). With a good quality plain pellet, you know what they're eating and it what ratios.

What I dislike most about Gerty is that they use artificial colourings in the food (those brightly coloured biscuity bits). Why on earth do they think it's necessary to introduce crud like that in to a guinea pig's diet? The CCT are very anti-Gerty for all the rubbish it contains, and quite convinced that trying to process these chemicals puts undue stress on their livers and kidneys too.

For guinea pigs over six months of age, a timothy based pellet is ideal. Oxbow's Cavy Cuisine seems to be the only one we can get in the UK (broken link removed). However if you can't get it or think the price is a tad high then I think Burgess Guinea Excel is the best you can get over here. It's so much better balanced for their nutritional needs than Gerty. Have a look at this page for the pros and cons of some commercial feeds (broken link removed)
Yeah Supa Guinea it is! thanks. I feed my rabbits Supa Rabbit so I like that brand anyway! lol

Piglet

Cavy Slave
I bought some allen and page pellets, but not from the pet store. They are the name behind (I was told) the natural pet food company.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.