Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Dumping Food

RedOrDead

Cavy Slave
I have three females in a custom 6' x 3' cage. One of them is dumping food on the ground and using it as a bathroom. The wet food then breaks up and clumps all over the cage and sometimes the pigs. They have a gravity feeder so they do not have bowls to tip over, but they are still managing to get food on the ground. They have toys and they get floor time so I don't think they are doing this out of boredom. I've even tried different foods to see if another kind of pellet will make less of a mess. There is plenty of bedding in the cage. I've had many guinea pigs over the years and this is the first time I've had this problem. Constantly cleaning this nasty mess out of the cage is driving me crazy. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
How much pellets do you feed you piggies a day??

I am assuming because you said they have a gravity feeder they are free-feed. Guinea pigs should only get 1/8-1/4 of a cup of food per pig, per day. Anything more than that you are feeding them too much.

My pigs go crazy when I fill their dishes for the day. They usually eat them all at one time so I have started to split it into two feedings. Needless to say during the afternoon the dishes are empty so there is no spills or food going to waste.

RedOrDead

Cavy Slave
I thought you were supposed to keep pellets and hay available all the time. The couple of times I've had to hand feed I've been told by the vet to feed them every couple of hours to mimic what they do naturally. Why would they tell me to do that if it's OK to feed them once or twice a day? I'm confused...

WEAVER

Cavy Slave
They should have hay available 24/7, but not the pellets.

Sorry you are confused and I dont know why your vet told you that. The pellets are actually very fattening and if they eat a lot of them over time it can lead to stones.

SW <3 Guineas

Cavy Slave
I use to have this problem too. It makes such a differrence when you feed less pellets and more hay. There somewhat happier too :)

Last edited:

aqh88

Cavy Slave
If they are not eating themselves then yes you should feed them very frequently because they do eat constantly during the day and night. Moistened pellets are also much easier to feed a sick pig than hay but a healthy pig should not eat too many pellets. They should eat almost all hay with only a small amount of pellets to provide the nutrients that are missing in hay. Then they need 1 cup of fresh vegetables per pig per day to provide vit c and variety.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
How old are your pigs? That makes a LOT of difference as to how much to feed. If they are under 6 months old and still growing at a really rapid rate, then unlimited pellets are fine. If they are over about 6 months old or "adult", then you want to go with the amounts that Weaver suggested, 1/8-1/4 cup of pellets per pig per day. From the sound of your description, the pigs are bored and just playing with their pellets.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
What I want to know is what brand/kind of pellets you are feeding?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.