PDA

View Full Version : New Member With Newborns!

AggiePig
06-13-06, 01:07 pm
Hello everyone, my name is Joyce (the screen name AggiePig is after Aggie my female English/Smooth Golden Agouti.)

I purchased Aggie from a local pet store before I came to your site and learned the error of my ways. I will certainly not do that again. I'm not sure why I didn't think to look for a guinea pig at a rescue or shelter since all of my other critters past and present were (horses, cats, dogs, rabbits, even two goats way back when.)

I was lucky for the most part, Aggie checked out fine at the vet with no mites or fungus etc. but I got a little more than I bargained for in the transaction. As it turned out, Aggie was pregnant when I bought her. The vet said that it was typical from that or any pet store.

Aggie delivered just fine last Saturday between 4:00 and 8:00 pm. I had been on pins and needles for the last two weeks knowing how dangerous the delivery could be for her in general plus being so young. To my chagrin she waited until I went out for a shopping trip and dinner to have the babies. It was probably better that way as I would have been hovering and fretting the whole time.

She delivered two pups, another golden agouti with yellow splotches (possibly fem.) and a cinnamon agouti with white and "orange?" (possibly male.) They will have a checkup soon, not soon enough for my taste, but the first weekend availability I could book. I spent the first two days wondering if their "hairdos" were just mussed from being squashed in the womb, or if they were part Abyssinian. Guess I have my answer now that they are a few days old with no change in "hairdo"

The family is currently in a 2x4 C&C cage (small square wire mesh on the portions of the cubes that are not flush against the wall) with carefresh bedding (cage will have to enlarge to 2X5 when the pups get bigger.) They have 1 hidey hole, two water bottles (one large tube higher and one small tube lower) free choice between Oxbow Cavy Performance and Cavy Cuisine, a great big pile of timothy hay (no hay rack with little ones) a smaller pile of alfalfa nibbles, and veggies twice a day.

If any more experienced Cavy Slaves have any suggestions I will take them with gratitude.

Charlie's_mamma
06-13-06, 01:10 pm
Aww they all sound so cute. Do you have any pictures of them all togther? Tell Aggie I said congrats on her new pups! I'm glad you realized that buying guinea pigs from a pet store isn't a good idea. I'm also glad that you're taking good care of all of them. It sounds like you have everything you need but I still have yet to make my first (and definatly not last) c&c I can't wait until the summer.

Percy's Mom
06-13-06, 01:15 pm
Sounds like you did end up with more than you bargained for. Of course we would LOVE to see pigtures of your little family! On the side of the cage that is against the wall, you might want to raise the height of the coroplast with either another strip of coro, or some cardboard. Even though the wall is there, those pups are quick to try and wiggle out of just about anywhere.

Make sure once you know for certain the sex of the babies that you seperate any males at 3 weeks or so. You certainly don't want the little guy impregnating Mom or his sister. Do you have enough supplies to build a second cage if need be?

Welcome to Cavy Cages! I'm sure you'll find a lot of great information here to help you with your new family. I was the same way with not going to a shelter. It makes perfect sense to me now after being here for a good amount of time, but when I bought Percy, it didn't even cross my mind to adopt a guinea pig. What matters most is that you're taking good care of your pig and have learned to adopt if you decide to expand your piggy family. If either of the pups is a boy, are you planning on having him neutered when he is old enough?

AggiePig
06-13-06, 01:27 pm
Thanks Percy's Mom. Three sides of the cage are flush the walls of a cubby. It is a little hard to explain, but I have a niche in one living room wall that is exactly 56" wide so the cage was placed in there with no clearance (I can't even get a finger between the wires and the wallboard.) I do have extra coroplast that was kindly supplied by Sue from whom I purchased the cage. I will reinspect for any gaps that will need to be covered.

Oh yes, if one pup is a boar he will have an date with the vet. I'm very nervous about that, so I'll be grilling the vet on experience and success rates with the procedure.

I had been planning on dividing a portion of the cage once he (if he is a he, hee hee) reaches "that age." Would an entirely separate cage be a better idea? I had hoped to place two halves of a hidey hole together against the partition so that they could sleep in close proximity and hopefully ease the rough separation adjustment.

AggiePig
06-13-06, 01:30 pm
Charlie's_mamma,
I will work on posting the pigtures that I have. I am one of those photographers who is clinging stubbornly to her 35mm with love. So, I've not had experience with hosting photos online etc. I'd really love to share because those pups are absolutely the most adorable little things I've ever seen!

cavy-cool-crazy
06-13-06, 01:43 pm
Sounds like you are doing fantastically as it is!! Oxbow food, C&C cage - you're doing brilliant so far! When you figure out pigtures you know you have an army of cavy carers eagerly awaiting the snaps.
Welcome to the forum.

jdomans
06-13-06, 02:08 pm
Hi Joyce so glad you are with this group. A diveder if necessary is fine. Unlike dogs, they won't breed between the wire!!!

CCC I jumped when I saw the post about member with newborns and you made the last post!! LOL

AggiePig
06-13-06, 02:23 pm
Okay folks, once I figure out the pigture thing, should I add them here on the intro's thread or would they be better elsewhere? Thanks!

Percy's Mom
06-13-06, 02:43 pm
Posting them here is perfectly fine. Baby pigtures always make us go crazy. And make sure Mama gets into the shots too!

AggiePig
06-14-06, 09:20 am
I have some photos on Photobucket.com now. I don't have a picture of the family together yet, if they turn out I'll add them tomorrow.

I'm sorry to call them Baby1 and Baby2, but I don't want to give them a name that would embarass them if I turn out to be wrong about gender...

Here is the proud momma Aggie
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/jkobza/AggieOnRock.jpg

Here is Baby 1 possibly a boar
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/jkobza/Baby1day1.jpg

Here is Baby 2 possibly a sow
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/jkobza/Baby2day1.jpg

And Baby 2's cute little face
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/jkobza/Baby2day1face.jpg

katiecavyNC
06-14-06, 09:29 am
AAAHHHHHHHH!!! They are SO cute!

Percy's Mom
06-14-06, 09:32 am
I just reread what you said about seperating the cage when he is old enough. That should be fine, and will definitely ease the seperation anxiety that everyone might go through. Just make sure that if you do have a little boy that you need to house on his own that you put a lid over his side of the cage, so he can not climb over and get to Mom and sister.

Charlie's_mamma
06-14-06, 10:15 am
whoever said posting baby pigtures would make us go crazy is right! I couldn't stop saying awww...Aggie looks so pudgey and cute in that pic, is that when she was pregnant or after?

I have to say that I think baby 1 is a tad cuter, maybe its "his" coloring but they are all VERY adorable.

AggiePig
06-14-06, 10:23 am
I tend to agree, the little "boy" is a bit cuter, and less needy too. When I pick him up he does cry for momma, but the other absolutely shrieks for her. I love Baby1's little white right rear leg and the tiny little white lining between the "orange" and agouti on his shoulder.

The photo of Aggie was actually taken the day before she delivered. I'm a little worried about her now, she actually seems a little thin to me. Of course, feeding two babies almost constantly (she can't seem to say no when they beg to nurse almost non-stop) would probably tax anyone's system. Perhaps I'll post the question/concern on the Cavy Chat forum.

You should see her popcorn now! I love to see her do it. All four feet come off the ground and she does this little twist at the top of her arc. When she was so heavy with the babies, her popcorns would only get her front feet off the ground.

My Baby Mu
06-14-06, 12:00 pm
Welcome to the forum. They are so cute!

dextersmycutegp
06-14-06, 12:57 pm
Don't worry too much about Aggie's weight, I went through this same thing with Holly. She gained 11 ounces after she came to live with me and after she had Dexter and Midnight, she lost it all. Now 5 months later she is almost 2 pounds, she was only 1 pound when I got her. It might help if you got a kitchen scale, mine has proved to be invaluable. How old is Aggie?
The babies are sure cute! Aggie is amazingly adorable too!lol

AggiePig
06-14-06, 02:22 pm
How old is Aggie? The babies are sure cute! Aggie is amazingly adorable too!lol

We think that Aggie is about 5-6 months old herself now.

Awww, thanks for the compliments. We're all blushing.

Charlie's_mamma
06-14-06, 03:04 pm
the whole popcorning thing made me giggle

TipiDancer
06-14-06, 04:59 pm
They are so adorable. The momma is so tiny!

jdomans
06-15-06, 08:11 am
#2 looks like what I bet Charlie Parsley looked like when he was born.
(CCC's Charlie)
They are adorable.

AggiePig
06-15-06, 09:02 am
#2 looks like what I bet Charlie Parsley looked like when he was born.
(CCC's Charlie)
They are adorable.

Thank you, and I wish you and Doolittle the very best with his condition and recovery. Hang in there you two!

AggiePig
06-15-06, 09:13 am
Well, I'm now thinking that I have two boys! I haven't been able to hold them up side by side and belly-up (too many wiggles) but they look like a little "i" to me...

Also, I caught them rumble-strutting at Aggie and at each other last night! No butt waggling, but there was definitely a miniature rumble, some swaying and head bobbing. Baby1 actually stood up on Aggie's shoulder while rumbling. Precocious little buggers!

AggiePig
06-15-06, 09:18 am
Also, I think I may have come up with cute names that could work for either sex...

Last night they were all running laps when I heard the thump of someone crashing into the coro and an "ouch" squeek. As I was getting up I called to them "What are you doing over there you rabble-rousing riffraff?"

After assuring myself that everyone was okay I got to thinking "Hmm, this is Riff and his brother Raff, together they're RiffRaff!" It also works on multiple levels since I'm a Rocky Horror Picture Show fan.

What does everyone think? Riff, Raff, and Aggie.

Ly&Pigs
06-15-06, 11:16 am
When they are about a week old, it's easier to sex the pups. You will need to pop the penis out on both. Don't just look to see if it looks like a "Y" or an "I" because that really doesn't mean much. I've seen boars with a Y shape and sows with an I shape. To extrude the penis gently push just at the top of the genital area with your thumb until the penis pops out of the sheath. It won't hurt them although pups will wiggle around. There are photos at both www.cavyspirit.com/sexing.htm, http://www.guinealynx.info/sexing_pups.html and http://www.guinealynx.info/sexing.html.

AggiePig
06-15-06, 11:30 am
Thank you Ly&Pigs! It was pretty funny to see me last night, I had a pup in one hand and the pictures from the link in the other. I wasn't brave enough to try popping any penises out, little pups are so tiny and unhappy about being away from Momma!

What about the little mini-rumblestrutting, is that typical at just 4 days old or are they oddballs?

Many kudos for keeping the cavy cages forum is such tip-top shape!

Percy's Mom
06-15-06, 12:49 pm
At 4 days old, they are most likely just playing around and driving Mom crazy.

AggiePig
06-15-06, 12:53 pm
At 4 days old, they are most likely just playing around and driving Mom crazy.

You've got that right! I think Aggie will get some solo floor time tonight. Or maybe the babies will come out and play with me while Aggie rests in the cage for a little while. They've been together just about every minute since they were born so I'm sure she could use a breather!

JarBax
06-15-06, 01:00 pm
Awww, they are heart-meltingly beautiful! Well done to the proud mum(s)!

Ly&Pigs
06-15-06, 01:12 pm
I love newborn pups. Are they popcorning yet? Are they eating veggies and hay yet?

It's fine to give mom a breather from them. They can survive an hour or more without having to nurse. I have had 2 accidental litters (long story) 6 days apart and the 2 pups fromt he second litter didn't survive but the first litter of 3 did and I ended up with 2 baby boars and 1 baby sow. They all turned 1 year old on Mother's Day. VJ has the sow and the boars have great homes as well.

But I would take the pups out of the cage 2-3 times everyday for about an 1/2 hour or so at a time. They would have the run of the couch and of me. They used to run the length of the couch then back to me and up my arm or my tummy and snuggle under my chin. It was so precious.

AggiePig
06-15-06, 01:27 pm
I love newborn pups. Are they popcorning yet? Are they eating veggies and hay yet?

Boy are they ever popcorning! They go so high up in the air and make those cute little hoots! They're eating hay and belt-feeding fresh timothy into their little mouths. I spotted Raff sitting in the gravity feeder last night (the one with Cavy Performance in it, good baby!) munching away on pellets. They have even toyed with the water bottle, though they didn't seem to be at it long enough to really drink.

The only issue I've run into is that none of them are all that adventurous about eating new things. Aggie must not have received many veggies before she came to me because she'll eat all the fresh timothy I can pick, but will barely pick at Kale, spinach, and brocolli. She completely turns her nose up at romaine and has no clue what to do with carrots. She did nibble at a grape this morning, but it definitely wasn't a commitment... I'll keep trying her with new things. She's going to have to learn to like something else 1.) she needs variety 2.) the timothy field is due to be cut this week!(I'm lucky enough to live on a farm that rents land to a farmer who sells hay! I don't use the bales for the GPs though, the Oxbow stuff is much more uniform and smells so fresh.)

jdomans
06-15-06, 01:46 pm
Aggie,
The Spinach and Brocolli are not daily foods at all. I think also you are giving her too many things too fast. Just stick with Romaine for a few days and when she eats that after a bit add more veggies to it little by little.

Ly&Pigs
06-15-06, 01:54 pm
I agree with Judy, just give her a leafy lettuce whether it be romaine, red leaf, green leaf, boston, etc. each day and add in a little cilantro and parsley too. It may take Aggie up to 2 or 3 weeks to learn to eat veggies. But you need to provide a little veggies every day for her and leave them in the cage for a few hours. The pups will see mom eat something and say "ok, mom's eating it, it's got to be good and safe for us, so let's try it too".

They may take another week or more to catch on to the water bottle properly. They will learn from mom.

AggiePig
06-15-06, 02:29 pm
Oh wait no, I don't offer spinach and brocolli daily, sorry I wasn't clear. I wanted try them to see if she would eat them simply because she's a momma. They've been in her cage once each, brocolli once about a week before giving birth and the spinach once the day after the babies were born.

We tried cilantro, that was a no-go, but we'll try again.

I think I'm just going to have to make her mad and forego the fresh timothy (she gets two helpings a day of fresh green timothy plus whichever other veggie I'm trying for her at the moment) and substiture other veggies so that she gets that much needed variety. I think as long as that much loved green timothy is in there she'll ignore everything else. Oh boy is she going to be unhappy.

Ly&Pigs
06-15-06, 03:05 pm
Is she getting unlimited hay? She and the pups can have both grass hay and alfalfa hay right now. As long as they have hay, you can go without the fresh grass for a couple days to see if she will eat the veggies, or give her veggies and if she eats them, give her some fresh grass. Or just cut down on the amount of fresh grass you are giving. Grass is a forage and forages are a good addition to any diet as she will get the vitamins and minerals she needs from fresh grass.

AggiePig
06-15-06, 03:10 pm
Yes, all the timothy hay and alfalfa they can eat (but I'm not using a hay rack at the moment for fear of the babies getting hung up in it.) I have both in the cage so that they can choose. I did the same with timothy based and alfalfa based pellets. I figured that nature knows best many times, except for Aggie and her veggies.

AggiePig
06-28-06, 04:18 pm
We've had pretty good luck here with new food items lately! Aggie, Riff and Raff will all accept romaine now, and love butterhead lettuce. They did nibble on a grape tomato a bit (one cut in half for all three to try.) I gave them a very small sliver of cantaloupe last night to see if they'd try it, gone in the morning! They also nibbled just a little on a tiny sliver of strawberry too. (we won't go overboard on the fruit since those are treat-type additions) No luck yet with baby carrots, maybe they'll catch on, ditto with corn husks (only the inner leaves that I'd be willing to eat myself.)

It seems that the boys are actually more adventurous with new foods sometimes than Aggie is. Very odd!

I picked up an organic field greens mix for myself and was wondering about whether or not I could share with the family. I didn't see the "frisee" included on the list of acceptable foods. Anyone have ideas?

HowietheGreat
06-28-06, 04:29 pm
I'm so jealous. I think baby 2 is a bit cuter but they are both adoprable. Welcome! It appears you will fit in perfect.

My Baby Mu
06-28-06, 07:25 pm
Frisee is alright to feed. Any lettuce except iceberg.

BabyGrl
06-28-06, 07:57 pm
They are all soooo cute!!!!!!

shscheerchick
06-28-06, 08:47 pm
The babies are soo cute. They are definity part abyssinian or all abyssinian because they look like what my babies looked when they are born. Both the parents were abyssinian. Again they are soo cute:D

Bellebelle
06-28-06, 09:32 pm
I've got some newborn pups down here. Both are confirmed boys, would you like me to snap a pic of their genitals for you?

Hey, you said they were born on Saturady? Raphael and Gabriel were born on Saturday as well LOL what a coincidence. These guys are gold and white rexes though. Their Mum was a rescue gal.

Love to talk to you sometime.
Emma

C&K
06-28-06, 10:54 pm
I had been planning on dividing a portion of the cage once he (if he is a he, hee hee) reaches "that age." Would an entirely separate cage be a better idea? I had hoped to place two halves of a hidey hole together against the partition so that they could sleep in close proximity and hopefully ease the rough separation adjustment

I am not sure if this has been adressed yet, but if you divide the cage, make sure that you use grids with smaller spaces or double them up. There are photos of ideas in the gallaries under baby proofing. At 3 weeks, the boys can probably squeeze through to mom! You could use 10 inch high coro, but then that would sort of ruin the purpose!

They are adorable! Best of luck with them. don't forget to try and get them to eat Sweet Bell Peppers, red are best, but green are fine too. They have more vitamin C in them then I think any other daily veggie!

MyPiggiesRock
06-29-06, 08:04 am
Good grief, they are sooo darn cute. I love the babies faces, they are so sweet. Congrats on your expanding family.:love:

littlemissjoey
06-29-06, 08:21 am
Aww, the pups are so cute, as is their mama. You must be beaming! Oh, and welcome to the forum!

CapuPebbles
06-29-06, 08:28 am
They babies are very very cute.:lovestruc Welcome to the forum!

fourbwabbys
06-29-06, 09:47 am
Awww, they're so cute. I have a soft spot for abbys. Abby babies are so cute! I had a accidental litter and I remember how quickly they were running around and popcorning. The water bottle expression is the best. One of them has a "lightbulb moment" and decides to try the water bottle after mom. As soon as their nose gets wet they freeze like "what the heck is on my nose!" lol

AggiePig
06-29-06, 09:49 am
I've got some newborn pups down here. Both are confirmed boys, would you like me to snap a pic of their genitals for you?
Hey, you said they were born on Saturady? Raphael and Gabriel were born on Saturday as well LOL what a coincidence. These guys are gold and white rexes though. Their Mum was a rescue gal.
Love to talk to you sometime.
Emma

Yep, Riff and Raff ("RiffRaff!")were born on Saturday June 10th between 4pm and 8pm. I've since been able to confirm that they are both boys (little round donuts with "pop-up timers."

They'll hit 3 weeks this coming Saturday, D-day, separation-day. They won't be very happy with me but they'll just have to adjust.

Lots and lots of luck with your pups! Have fun watching those crazy popcorn fits. Sometimes Riff falls on his side he "pops" so hard! Let me know if you want to "compare notes."

AggiePig
06-29-06, 09:50 am
The water bottle expression is the best. One of them has a "lightbulb moment" and decides to try the water bottle after mom. As soon as their nose gets wet they freeze like "what the heck is on my nose!" lol

I loved that! I had to work hard not to laugh and startle them away from their lesson. There really was a learning curve there, now they both go at the water bottles like gangbusters.

AggiePig
06-29-06, 10:03 am
...but if you divide the cage, make sure that you use grids with smaller spaces or double them up. There are photos of ideas in the gallaries under baby proofing. At 3 weeks, the boys can probably squeeze through to mom! You could use 10 inch high coro, but then that would sort of ruin the purpose!
They are adorable! Best of luck with them. don't forget to try and get them to eat Sweet Bell Peppers, red are best, but green are fine too. They have more vitamin C in them then I think any other daily veggie!

Thanks C&K! I've actually decided to go the separate cages route until they are fixed and can be put back in with Aggie. They will stay on home turf, the 2X4 with loft that has been baby-proofed with mesh wire that has openings of @ 1/4 inch. Aggie will go into the newly constructed 2x3 with loft next door.

Thanks for the well-wishes. I haven't had any luck with getting any of them to accept peppers yet, but we'll keep pluggin' along.

laura220
06-29-06, 10:09 am
It won't work to neuter both boys and have them with Aggie. By puberty they'll be fighting over her.

Percy's Mom
06-29-06, 11:10 am
This topic went to PMs after this, and Aggie gave me permission to cut and paste those into this thread. If anyone has any constructive comments on how to deal with the 1 female, 2 males close to puberty, please add them on after this.

Goodness, I was really counting on being able to reunite the family after the neuter and recovery time. Is the reply true or is there some hope of them being a happy family again in the future?

Unfortunately, it might be true. Most vets won't neuter until they are 4 months old, and at that point they are already in puberty. The neutering doesn't change their behavior like it does in cats or dogs. It only takes away the ability to impregnate. Once they hit puberty, it's pretty likely that any two males will fight over a female whether or not they have been neutered or not. I won't say that it's an absolute, but there is a good chance of having problems with your two boys and 1 female. They won't care that the female is Mom.

Yeah, I wasn't counting on them forgetting that Aggie is their mom. Animals definitely don't have the same taboos that we do.

I guess we'll just have to give it a try and take it as it goes?

Having Aggie spayed and the boys left intact wouldn't fix things either would it?

I don't want to go the rout of 2-cages 4-piggers, and get a female companion for Aggie (if kept in the same room but separate cages would the boys fight as well?) Oh I hate to even think of it, but am I in for a re-homing one of the boys situation? I'm beginning to cry. Man, why couldn't they have popped out as a boy and a girl!!!!

No, spaying Aggie probably wouldn't help. And you're right, it would be a good chance of them fighting if she was even in the same room. In fact having 2 boys the same age pre-puberty, you might have problems/arguments with them anyway for a few months. Their hormones will be raging even if there isn't a girl around.

We have already had a minor argument, it was over a piece of lettuce. Riff had it Raff wanted it even though there were several others of equal size and quality in the cage. The usual gentle tug-of-war started and then things escalated. No one suffered any real injury, but Riff did end up submitting after Raff pinched his lip.

Based on your info, Aggie's new cage will be set up in the bedroom on Saturday instead of in the living room with the boys. Oh poor family, I'm such a mess right now I just don't know what to do.

Minor arguments are normal with any two pigs. It sounds like Raff is just the more dominant of your two boys.

Buggie_00
06-29-06, 11:46 am
Don't feel bad about getting a gp from a store, I did it too, and she also was pregnant too, I didn't know about it untill one day I came home to discover a 3rd piggie in the cage. She's about 2 weeks old now since I can't tell for sure wether she was born on Wednesday evening, Thursday or Friday before my husband came home at 6pm. We were out of town and had a friend check in on them and she didn't notice anything on Thursday so we're thinking late Thursday night or sometime before Adam got home. They are so cute at that size aren't they. Good luck and for new members, and older ones too, this site has a TON of information you just have to ask or click on links to find it all.

The babies are SOOOOO cute!

Bellebelle
06-29-06, 07:24 pm
All my pigs live in the same area. I have a pair of boys who were together since the younger boy was born and they luuurve each other, so much so that having a sow next door dosn't harm the relationship one bit.

I wouldnt try having two neutered boys in the same cage with sows. I tried it once, its why I have a scar on my hand LOL.

Theres a few things you could do though, if the brothers decide they dont like each other, have both neutered and get another sow. Then you'll have two pairs of a neutered boy and a sow. If they do like each other i'd keep them in their own cage and get Mum a sow friend.

My boys were actually born on the 24th of June so yours are two weeks older. Happily i dont have any fighting going on yet, a lot of falling off Mum and dive bombing Mum but its all fun.

Emma

fairysari
06-29-06, 07:52 pm
AggiePig, eventually you could get both boys neutered, and then put one with mom, and get the other a girlfriend. I suspect there would be less fighting in this arrangement than two boys together and two girls together, since each boy has his own girlfriend.

AggiePig
06-30-06, 08:58 am
Well Bellebelle and Fairysari, you've both come up with a pretty good plan, unfortunately I can't keep two cages set up on a permanent basis. There is just not enough room in my apartment. As it is now, Aggie's new cage won't be able to go in either the livingroom or bedroom, I took measurements last night and my earlier plan won't work. So now she's going to have to be stuck in a hallway where I'll have to squeeze by her to feed the cat.

AggiePig
06-30-06, 09:06 am
My boys were actually born on the 24th of June so yours are two weeks older. Happily i dont have any fighting going on yet, a lot of falling off Mum and dive bombing Mum but its all fun.

Your little ones are still in that very cute still somewhat clumsy phase aren't they? Spend as much time watching and giggling at them now while you can. The 10th doesn't really sound all that long ago, but boy what a difference a few weeks makes! They're still adorable, but Riff and Raff are getting very independent, and Aggie is beginning to treat them more like adults (less coddling.) She actually kicked both of them out of the new cozy bed last night and wasn't nice about it at all, there were teeth involved! The boys were obviously very shocked by the sudden turn of events!

Percy's Mom
06-30-06, 09:47 am
Sounds like Mom wants some space! What do you want to bet that someone decided to nurse and bit down a bit too hard?

AggiePig
06-30-06, 10:04 am
Sounds like Mom wants some space! What do you want to bet that someone decided to nurse and bit down a bit too hard?

Oh that has definitely happened, not pretty!
Last night she was trying to enjoy the new cushy bed and get a few moments of peace. She had a full stretch-out going on when the boys showed up and started bouncing. They sure got a surprise! Just watch though, last night she wanted them gone, tonight when she's in her new separate cage she'll want them back!

littlemissjoey
06-30-06, 10:15 am
Our girl Mooky (a very good mum) kicked her daughter back once. I guess she had had enough! They reconciled pretty quickly after that though. There needs to be more understanding for mothers, human or guinea pig!

fourbwabbys
06-30-06, 10:35 am
The mothers push their babies away during weaning right? When Spaz had her babies, one of them bit too hard getting milk and she was bleeding a lot. It didn't even phase her. I guess she liked the alone time while we were cleaning her up. lol

AggiePig
06-30-06, 10:47 am
Yeowch! Violent nursing!

No, I really don't know how mothers, guinea pig or human, don't snap a little more often. I'm sure a mother loves her children to death, but it seems like they can be so trying at times! (I know I certainly tested my parents regularly.)

Bellebelle
07-01-06, 12:29 am
Lol, my boys are still cute bumbling things. But the oddest thing is that at a week old they are weaned. Mum was a rescue girl with malnutrition and didnt produce any milk. So i was hand rearing. Yesterday the boys refused their milk so I checked Mali, her milk had come down finally, but the boys weren't nursing.

They are already eating grown up food, and being big boys LOL. If it lasts i'll move them out when they start rumble strutting.

Emma

AggiePig
07-03-06, 09:39 am
Wow Bellebelle, you've sure got some go-getter pups that's for sure! My boys were still nursing periodically up to Friday night when I separated them. Riff and Raff must be momma's boys.

It took me the entire weekend considering the options and I've come to the very difficult decision to re-home little Raff. I can't have two separate cages on a permanent basis in my apartment, things are just too tight. I've decided that once Raff is placed in a new happy home, Aggie and Riff will live in a divided cage until after he is fixed.

I'm adding Raff to the adoptables thread. I'm still pretty broken up about it, but it is the best decision.

*~*Natosha*~*
07-05-06, 07:34 am
Awww you make it sound so sad. *Tear* Perhaps lots of pictures post-adoption or maybe even visitation rights would be of some comfort! Which, if I get my way and get to have lil Raffers.... you will definately see his growin' up pictures.

Wow Bellebelle, you've sure got some go-getter pups that's for sure! My boys were still nursing periodically up to Friday night when I separated them. Riff and Raff must be momma's boys.

It took me the entire weekend considering the options and I've come to the very difficult decision to re-home little Raff. I can't have two separate cages on a permanent basis in my apartment, things are just too tight. I've decided that once Raff is placed in a new happy home, Aggie and Riff will live in a divided cage until after he is fixed.

I'm adding Raff to the adoptables thread. I'm still pretty broken up about it, but it is the best decision.