Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

New Member With Newborns!

AggiePig

Cavy Slave
Hello everyone, my name is Joyce (the screen name AggiePig is after Aggie my female English/Smooth Golden Agouti.)

I purchased Aggie from a local pet store before I came to your site and learned the error of my ways. I will certainly not do that again. I'm not sure why I didn't think to look for a guinea pig at a rescue or shelter since all of my other critters past and present were (horses, cats, dogs, rabbits, even two goats way back when.)

I was lucky for the most part, Aggie checked out fine at the vet with no mites or fungus etc. but I got a little more than I bargained for in the transaction. As it turned out, Aggie was pregnant when I bought her. The vet said that it was typical from that or any pet store.

Aggie delivered just fine last Saturday between 4:00 and 8:00 pm. I had been on pins and needles for the last two weeks knowing how dangerous the delivery could be for her in general plus being so young. To my chagrin she waited until I went out for a shopping trip and dinner to have the babies. It was probably better that way as I would have been hovering and fretting the whole time.

She delivered two pups, another golden agouti with yellow splotches (possibly fem.) and a cinnamon agouti with white and "orange?" (possibly male.) They will have a checkup soon, not soon enough for my taste, but the first weekend availability I could book. I spent the first two days wondering if their "hairdos" were just mussed from being squashed in the womb, or if they were part Abyssinian. Guess I have my answer now that they are a few days old with no change in "hairdo"

The family is currently in a 2x4 C&C cage (small square wire mesh on the portions of the cubes that are not flush against the wall) with carefresh bedding (cage will have to enlarge to 2X5 when the pups get bigger.) They have 1 hidey hole, two water bottles (one large tube higher and one small tube lower) free choice between Oxbow Cavy Performance and Cavy Cuisine, a great big pile of timothy hay (no hay rack with little ones) a smaller pile of alfalfa nibbles, and veggies twice a day.

If any more experienced Cavy Slaves have any suggestions I will take them with gratitude.

Last edited:

Charlie's_mamma

Cavy Slave
Aww they all sound so cute. Do you have any pictures of them all togther? Tell Aggie I said congrats on her new pups! I'm glad you realized that buying guinea pigs from a pet store isn't a good idea. I'm also glad that you're taking good care of all of them. It sounds like you have everything you need but I still have yet to make my first (and definatly not last) c&c I can't wait until the summer.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Sounds like you did end up with more than you bargained for. Of course we would LOVE to see pigtures of your little family! On the side of the cage that is against the wall, you might want to raise the height of the coroplast with either another strip of coro, or some cardboard. Even though the wall is there, those pups are quick to try and wiggle out of just about anywhere.

Make sure once you know for certain the sex of the babies that you seperate any males at 3 weeks or so. You certainly don't want the little guy impregnating Mom or his sister. Do you have enough supplies to build a second cage if need be?

Welcome to Cavy Cages! I'm sure you'll find a lot of great information here to help you with your new family. I was the same way with not going to a shelter. It makes perfect sense to me now after being here for a good amount of time, but when I bought Percy, it didn't even cross my mind to adopt a guinea pig. What matters most is that you're taking good care of your pig and have learned to adopt if you decide to expand your piggy family. If either of the pups is a boy, are you planning on having him neutered when he is old enough?

AggiePig

Cavy Slave
Thanks Percy's Mom. Three sides of the cage are flush the walls of a cubby. It is a little hard to explain, but I have a niche in one living room wall that is exactly 56" wide so the cage was placed in there with no clearance (I can't even get a finger between the wires and the wallboard.) I do have extra coroplast that was kindly supplied by Sue from whom I purchased the cage. I will reinspect for any gaps that will need to be covered.

Oh yes, if one pup is a boar he will have an date with the vet. I'm very nervous about that, so I'll be grilling the vet on experience and success rates with the procedure.

I had been planning on dividing a portion of the cage once he (if he is a he, hee hee) reaches "that age." Would an entirely separate cage be a better idea? I had hoped to place two halves of a hidey hole together against the partition so that they could sleep in close proximity and hopefully ease the rough separation adjustment.

AggiePig

Cavy Slave
Charlie's_mamma,
I will work on posting the pigtures that I have. I am one of those photographers who is clinging stubbornly to her 35mm with love. So, I've not had experience with hosting photos online etc. I'd really love to share because those pups are absolutely the most adorable little things I've ever seen!

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Sounds like you are doing fantastically as it is!! Oxbow food, C&C cage - you're doing brilliant so far! When you figure out pigtures you know you have an army of cavy carers eagerly awaiting the snaps.
Welcome to the forum.

jdomans

Cavy Slave
Hi Joyce so glad you are with this group. A diveder if necessary is fine. Unlike dogs, they won't breed between the wire!!!

CCC I jumped when I saw the post about member with newborns and you made the last post!! LOL

AggiePig

Cavy Slave
Okay folks, once I figure out the pigture thing, should I add them here on the intro's thread or would they be better elsewhere? Thanks!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Posting them here is perfectly fine. Baby pigtures always make us go crazy. And make sure Mama gets into the shots too!

AggiePig

Cavy Slave
I have some photos on Photobucket.com now. I don't have a picture of the family together yet, if they turn out I'll add them tomorrow.

I'm sorry to call them Baby1 and Baby2, but I don't want to give them a name that would embarass them if I turn out to be wrong about gender...

Here is the proud momma Aggie
https://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/jkobza/AggieOnRock.jpg

Here is Baby 1 possibly a boar
https://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/jkobza/Baby1day1.jpg

Here is Baby 2 possibly a sow
https://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/jkobza/Baby2day1.jpg

And Baby 2's cute little face
https://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j277/jkobza/Baby2day1face.jpg

katiecavyNC

Cavy Slave
AAAHHHHHHHH!!! They are SO cute!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
I just reread what you said about seperating the cage when he is old enough. That should be fine, and will definitely ease the seperation anxiety that everyone might go through. Just make sure that if you do have a little boy that you need to house on his own that you put a lid over his side of the cage, so he can not climb over and get to Mom and sister.

Charlie's_mamma

Cavy Slave
whoever said posting baby pigtures would make us go crazy is right! I couldn't stop saying awww...Aggie looks so pudgey and cute in that pic, is that when she was pregnant or after?

I have to say that I think baby 1 is a tad cuter, maybe its "his" coloring but they are all VERY adorable.

AggiePig

Cavy Slave
I tend to agree, the little "boy" is a bit cuter, and less needy too. When I pick him up he does cry for momma, but the other absolutely shrieks for her. I love Baby1's little white right rear leg and the tiny little white lining between the "orange" and agouti on his shoulder.

The photo of Aggie was actually taken the day before she delivered. I'm a little worried about her now, she actually seems a little thin to me. Of course, feeding two babies almost constantly (she can't seem to say no when they beg to nurse almost non-stop) would probably tax anyone's system. Perhaps I'll post the question/concern on the Cavy Chat forum.

You should see her popcorn now! I love to see her do it. All four feet come off the ground and she does this little twist at the top of her arc. When she was so heavy with the babies, her popcorns would only get her front feet off the ground.

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum. They are so cute!

dextersmycutegp

Cavy Slave
Don't worry too much about Aggie's weight, I went through this same thing with Holly. She gained 11 ounces after she came to live with me and after she had Dexter and Midnight, she lost it all. Now 5 months later she is almost 2 pounds, she was only 1 pound when I got her. It might help if you got a kitchen scale, mine has proved to be invaluable. How old is Aggie?
The babies are sure cute! Aggie is amazingly adorable too!lol

AggiePig

Cavy Slave
dextersmycutegp said:
How old is Aggie? The babies are sure cute! Aggie is amazingly adorable too!lol

We think that Aggie is about 5-6 months old herself now.

Awww, thanks for the compliments. We're all blushing.

Charlie's_mamma

Cavy Slave
the whole popcorning thing made me giggle

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
They are so adorable. The momma is so tiny!

jdomans

Cavy Slave
#2 looks like what I bet Charlie Parsley looked like when he was born.
(CCC's Charlie)
They are adorable.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.