Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Animal Cruelty As It's Worst: WARNING: Graphic Videos in Links

Whit23ney

Cavy Slave
I have seen pictures posted on this site showing the truth about slaughter houses and they've been eye opening. I've been considering going vegetarian AMA because of this. However, I've recently stumbled across a video that open my eyes to the point of not even being able to come up with a justified reason to NOT go veggie. I know there are vitamins and supplements and things I can do research on to replace what I get from meat and this video pushed me over the edge. I really have no other choice now.....

Click here to view the video https://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/video.asp?video=agri_short&Player=wm&speed=_med

I worn you, it's graphic and extremely disturbing.
I hope this helps those of you who are new at being vegetarians and are having cravings for meat. After watching this video, it's impossible to eat a cheeseburger. :ashamed:

alfieiheartu
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Whit23ney

Cavy Slave
Re: Animal Cruelty As It's Worst

After doing research all this week I've decided to take it a step further and become Vegan. I'm going grocery shopping tonight for all of my meat, mik, cheese, egg alternatives and I've looked up some promising recipes online for lunch to take to work as well as dinners and snacks. I'm hoping I can do it! Wish me luck!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave

If you check out the "Vegetarian Recipes" thread, there is a post with a HUGE list of websites with veggie recipes. There are also several cookbooks suggested in various threads.

Good luck with your decision.

JarBax

Cavy Slave

You are right - that is unbelievably appauling. There are really no words to describe to horror and disgrace of this practice.

Why?

Whit23ney

Cavy Slave

I found another website on the same site
https://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/video.asp?video=meet_your_meat&Player=wm&speed=_med

I only post these cause these are what changed my mind about eating meat and hopefully it will change the minds of other people on here too.
WARNING: THE VIDEO IN THE ABOVE LINK IS GRAPHIC AND DISTURBING BUT IGNORANCE IS NOT BLISS FOR THE ANIMALS INVOLVED.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Welcome aboard the vegan wagon! We're glad to have you. Let us know if you need any help. :)

I_<3_cavies

Cavy Slave
Oh my gosh. I just watched like 1 minute of that and I had to stop I already dont eat meat becuase of videos I have watched like that. I dont know what Im going to do though when I go to my dads house in like 5 days becuase all he eats is meat everyday. I dont know how Im going to tell him. Last time he practically forced me to.

Whit23ney

Cavy Slave
O.k. so I went grocery shopping today and bought the appropriate foods. I had some pita bread with the most delicious hummus today for dinnner and now I'm happy and full. My fiance is trying to talk me out of it by saying that the people that make the soy products (while they use their combines are killing mice, rates, and bunnys in the process so I'm killing animals anyway) so that my efforts are pointless unless all I care about are the cows and chickens. I care about mice and other small rodents as well, obviously cause I love my piggies! He's always sending me links to sites that show all this research that shows that being a vegan harms more than hurts but I've done other research online to the contrary. I'm sticking to my guns on this one.....but for whatever reason...all night long I've been craving steak. It's weird how the body reacts when your mind tells it "You're not getting any meat from now on!!!!" He's pledged to eat three times as much meat as I'm "not eating" to counter my efforts just in protest. It's pissing me off! Urgggg....he's so damn contrarian! He bought four steaks for himself just this week alone and he doesn't even usually eat steak!!! Well I'm not going to NOT eat meat no matter what. Every time I'm tempted I'm going to watch the videos I've posted and it's going to keep me off the meat until my taste buds change and the cravings are no more. God, it just breaks my heart to see these things but for now it's what it takes me keep me away from a Filet Mignon. Poor little piggies, cows, and chickens.....I'm going to be inspired by my little piggies who thrive from their herbivore diet. :eek:ptimist:

TipiDancer

Cavy Slave
I am proud of you. These videos from Peta have also made me a vegan. As of last week, I haven't eaten anything from an animal. Truely disgusting.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I'm sorry your fiance is not being supportive.

I'm afraid his arguments don't wash with me. For me - the whole point in not eating meat etc, is not so much the killing of animals, but the conditions these animals are expected to live in, the processes they are forced to endure and the uncompassionate treatment they suffer as farmed animals. I imagine that often, their death actually comes as a relief after an unbearably degraded life.

I am aware that there are issues with creatures being killed through some agricultural methods of harvesting. If your fiance is concerned about these - then he would be best advised to research into which companies buy from farmers who harvest with good environmental ethos, buoycotting the companies who buy from 'pure profit' farmers.

Stay strong!

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
My fiance is trying to talk me out of it by saying that the people that make the soy products (while they use their combines are killing mice, rates, and bunnys in the process so I'm killing animals anyway) so that my efforts are pointless unless all I care about are the cows and chickens.

Tell you fiance that's a lame argument. The majority of all grain & soy products are raised to feed agriculture animals. If more people quit eating meat, then less grain/soy stuff will need to be raised; thus, less mice and other small animals will be killed in the process.

If you ignore his childish behavior (such as saying he's going to eat 3 times as much meat now to make up for what you're not eating) it will eventually stop. My husband used to have similar behavior, so I know all too well.

Whit23ney

Cavy Slave
Oooh, good point (with the boycotting the places that use combines.) He says he's being supportive in his own way...
"By being so contrarian with you, I'm helping you stay strong. The more I don't want you to do something, the more you'll want to do it."
Which actually is true, but it's a pisspoor excuse for being a butthead and buying extra steak to counter my efforts. Oh well, he'll give up on it eventually and I won't, so my efforts will not be in vain. After a while it won't be fun for him anymore. He's like a child....men! Eh, we but heads on a lot of issues. Case in point, I'm a Christian and he's an Athiest. I'm now a Newbie Vegan and he's a meat eating pain in the ass. We always get on our soap boxes, debate, and try to out-do each other but in the end, we love eachother so it's o.k. Btw, not trying to bring up a religious debate here so let's not even go there! Just demonstrating the fact that he and I are just competively contrarian by nature.
Anywho, lunch was a rather unsuccessful venture. Trying to be all "good vegan" and all I go to Wendys and order a caesar side salad. I forgot they came with cheese and bacon bits so I picked out every piece of lettuce and scraped the cheese and bacon bits off of it, which would have been fine had I remembered that there is dairy in Caesar dressing! I'm going to have to pay more attention if I'm to be any good at this! I hate that vinaigrette
crap so what I'm planning on doing is getting one of those hidden valley ranch season packets where you make your own dressing and instead of milk I'll use soy milk. I'm realizing that I'll have to start packing my own lunches. I never realized that these places don't cater to vegetarians/vegans. I always figured if a place offered salads then they were offering decent choices to us but I guess not. I've got a lot to learn.
Thanks for the support. ~Smiles~

Last edited:

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I've just been looking through the Peta site, where your earlier links came from. Did you spot this page;

https://www.goveg.com/order.asp(broken link removed)

It is a 'vegetarian starter kit' - you can order a pack free!

Their vegetarian pages are very informative - without the really graphical disturbing videos.

Whit23ney

Cavy Slave
Yes, I ordered one but it's going to take 6-8 weeks to "process" whatever that means! So, it will be awhile before it arrives on my doorstep I'm sure. I just had a question here....If I'm going to be a Vegan here....does that mean I can't eat chocolate!!!??? I just picked up a snickers bar and thought to myself "Milk chocolate means there's milk in this doesn't there? Damn it Damn it Damn it!"
Ya know, I can give up meat...great! I can give up milk...no problem! I can give up cheese....that one kinda sucks but hey it's for a good cause! Even ice cream I can do without...But chocolate?!! Chocolate???!!! Now that's cruel and unusual human punishment right there! What am I gonna do? Be a choco vegan? Do they have yummy chocolate alternatives that don't taste like butt crack???? I can't believe I can't eat my snickers.....:melodrama

JarBax

Cavy Slave
Don't panic! You can get vegan chocolate - or plain chocolate. And the best thing about plain chocolate is that you don't need to eat half as much of it to feel satisfied!

Whit23ney

Cavy Slave
Whew, that's a relief....you gotta leave me with something. ~laughing~ I will go hunting for regular chocolate products for times when I am in need of a snickers. Plus I have a fondue fountain where I melt chocolate and dip stuff in it. Talk about making fruits and veggies tasty! Good to know I can still use it with reg choc.

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Make sure you still read the ingredients in whatever chocolate you buy. A lot of them still have milk or milk by-products in them.

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
PM - have you come over the dark side and become vegetarian? (for some reason I was thinking you weren't one - sorry if I"m wrong!)

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
You were correct Susan. I'm not a vegetarian, but I know enough people that are to know that a lot of veggie/vegan newbies don't always think to check all of the ingredients on labels. Besides, I've been doing a lot of research on it myself to cut back a lot of the meat products that my family eats.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.