Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage top

heather

Cavy Slave
I have my boys in a 2 by 5 grid cage and would like to build a cage top for it. I have looked through this site a little and can't seem to find the materials and info on how to do it.

Do I just use the same cubes and then tie wrap them to the cage itself?

If anyone else has made a cage top, I'd appreciate any tips.

Thanks

NoVeil

Cavy Slave
Petunia's cage has a top on it to keep my smaller kids from pestering her. Most of the time it is up though. In any event. it is just extra grids tied with the zip ties. It opens up easily and took about 2 minutes to put together. It is zip tied to the back of her cage and then it folds up and over when it is not in use.

david

Cavy Slave
Same answer. If you really need to make a top just use the grids. I never needed one as they never try to escape and I don't have any pets that could cause them harm.

CCcages

Cavy Slave
For a 2 x 5 grid:

Go to Home Depot and ask that they cut for you Closet Maid shelving in 2 pieces of 76” lengths of 16” linen-style shelving. Also purchase a small bag of "end caps" (they're about 1.97) to cover the cut edges.

Place both shelving pieces on top of the cage with the overhang on the outside of the cage. Attach one of the lengths as the non-lifting side to the cage with cable ties. Attach the other piece only where the two meet using 4 (or more) cable ties as hinges.

This method is very sturdy as they shelving will sit over the center outside connectors.

Last edited:

heather

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the replies. Both ways sound good to me, I'll just have to decide which way to go!

Your going to think I'm crazy but the only reason I want to build a top is so that it is easier to cover them up at night. They love it when the sheet is put over them before bed, I use clothes pins to secure it in place and they just go nuts in there! The only problem is that one of my boys has figured out how to get the sheet down! Believe it or not, he gets on top of his igloo and pulls at the sheet! Now he has taught my other boy how to do it and they both yank at it all night. I'm worried that one of the clothes pins will pop off one of these nights and end up in their cage which would be bad if they chewed on it.

I'd hate not to cover them at night anymore because that seems to be one of their most favorite times!

Thnaks again

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.