Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • If you need a specific country prefix that isn't listed, please contact the staff.

Canada Mixed Hay

sandra

Cavy Slave
I live in Ottawa, Ontario and I have just found out that Oxford Meadow Hay is closed. I dont want to buy the pet shop stuff in small bags....I'll just go broke!!! Anyone can suggest me where to get good hay for my bunny and guinea pig please!

SkinnyPiggys

Cavy Slave
Do you have any nice horse barns in your area? Usually they will sell you a bale of Timothy hay for really cheap. You could also just bring a garbage bag with you and fill it up, depending on how much you need.

sandra

Cavy Slave
No farm around my area from what I know of. I used to get the good mixed hay from Oxford... around 20 lbs and was less $18C....

kwsbsoss

Cavy Slave
I too ordered my hay from Oxford Meadows - my pigs will not eat what you can buy in pet stores. I am now going to try Oxbow through Corico (Canadian Pet Connection does not ship to the Maritimes).

Kristen

sandra

Cavy Slave
I wont order from Oxbow...way too expensive. Oxford was just 15 min away from my house so I payed like $18C flat for 20 lbs of Mixed Hay...That was a deal. My pets eats too much hay for me to order. I heard of Berry's Pet Food in Ottawa also sell bigger sizes than stores. I will have to check that out.

C&K

Cavy Slave
That is terrible that they are closed!

I am looking into a lead for a local farm in my area, (Hamilton) Are there any local farms in your area that grow hay? I think I remember one, but he has 700 pound bales!

Try calling some horse stables perhaps? Sometimes they have good hay and will sell you a little!

sandra

Cavy Slave
Thanks! I will have to try out farm if Berry's Pet Food store isnt what I expected. What was great about Oxford Meadow Hay is that it was Mixed hay with some dried dandilions..... my pets will miss that hay.... Now I'll probably only find Timothy.... But you know what I am wondering about Oxford? Where is all that Mixed Hay going? Oxford were having issues between partners..... But that hay is still groing..... I used to talk to the lady but she wont tell me anything.

naturestee

Cavy Slave
Sandra, I heard that one of their farmers split off and is selling the mixed hay on his own now (apparently why they tanked?). I have no idea of the new company name, but you might be able to find it by searching around.

In the meantime, try asking around at feed stores for farmers that sell hay. That's how I found one in my area. I bought one 40 lb bale of timothy for $5 and one of mixed grass for $3.75, and my rabbits love it! Farmers in Wisconsin started cutting the first hay crop last week, so you can get it super fresh right now.

kwsbsoss

Cavy Slave
I guess I should try to find a local farmer as well. I paid as much for shipping as I did for the hay and I imagine it will be the same if I do purchase Oxbow. I was very happy with Oxford Meadows, excellent quality and service. My pigs love the Oxford grasses. My bunny does not eat much hay - the pigs eat so much more than she does. I end up wasting hay because it just sits in her hay manger.

Kristen

C&K

Cavy Slave
Personally, I was not thrilled with the Oxbow that I had been given for my fosters. There was a lot of brown in it that the picky brats would just not eat. Martini is going to have his hands full if his green hay supply falls through! Honestly, that will be a piggy riot if I ever saw one!

I live just about a half hour away from Canadian Pet Connection, and my fosters rescue lady actually picked it up directly and delivered it to my husband in a nearby city, but I think I would have been annoyed if I bought it online and had as much in the box that could not be salvaged as there was...

"sigh" Why does finding good hay in Canada have to be so hard?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.