PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian Babeque

Piglet
06-10-06, 04:33 am
Does anyone have any nice ideas for veggie food for the barbeque?

Charlie's_mamma
06-10-06, 05:31 am
Boca burgers have flame grilled kind that you can put on the grill, well pretty much any vegetarian burger can be grilled. Umm macaroni and potato salad is good for vegetarians and non-vegetarians. Salad, vegetarian hot dogs (I think they taste like the real thing which I never liked the taste of) that you can get from Morning Star. If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

MetallichicA
06-10-06, 06:51 am
We have one of those bbq skillets with the holes in the bottom to let the flames through. Marinate anything in a good strong marinade for a few hours in the fridge, throw them in the skillet and grill 'em. My personal favs are artichoke hearts, asparagus, green beans, carrots, zucchini, and squash. Keep in mind they will be a bit crunchy, especially carrots. Makes GREAT finger food.

Percy's Mom
06-10-06, 06:54 am
Grilled portabella mushrooms or slices of eggplant make very yummy sandwiches on burger buns. I usually grill some thick slices of onion too. They get all sweet and nummy.

MetallichicA
06-10-06, 08:55 am
Ohhhh yeah, grilled vidalias are awesome.

Oh, tomatoes! Just season them, sear 'em real quick, and they're good to go.

I almost forgot one of my favorite grilled foods, "Crick Taters" or "Creek Potatoes" for those of you who don't know anyone from Cantuckee. Take a large baking potato, wash it, slice it up really thinly like potato chips. Put it into two pieces of aluminum foil, each big enough to fold over and hold the entire thing. Add some good chunks of onion, and then season it - I usually use rosemary, thyme, parsley, and sage but you can add just about anything to them. Sometimes we put a hot seasoning on too. I don't know if you use butter or not - if so, put some dabs of butter on, if not cooking spray will work or a little bit of olive oil drizzled on. Fold the entire thing up into the first sheet of foil, then flip it over and fold over the outer sheet. The second sheet is to be sure that if anything breaks through it won't burn. This can go on the main rack of your grill for about 30-45 minutes (you'll have to open one up and see if they're tender) and kept warm on the top rack after that. I usually throw some cheese on as soon as I open it, but like the butter thing I don't know if you use cheese, so that's of course up to you.

Anyway, long directions, but it's a lot easier than it sounds and they are soooo good. We love having grillouts with our friends and have always gotten great compliments on the Crick Taters.

Percy's Mom
06-10-06, 09:10 am
Another of my favorites on the grill is roasted garlic. Take a full head of garlic, cut off the top to expose the tops of the cloves, put it on a piece of heavy duty foil, drizzle a bit of olive oil over it, sprinkle with S&P, and close up the foil bundle. Using a second layer of foil, or setting it in a small foil pan on the grill is a good idea, so you don't have any leaks should the foil rip (I started a fire in my grill about a week ago like this.) It takes about 30-45 minutes in the back of the grill, and the cloves squeeze out of their skins. Rub it on toast, crackers, or a roll, and it's fabulous. The garlic get all sweet, roasted and kind of nutty tasting. YUM! I do the same thing with whole button or cremini mushrooms too, but they only take about 15-20 minutes to roast up.

PeruRodent
06-10-06, 03:32 pm
Ooo, tomatoes bellpepper and mushrooms!
Yummy!

Res Judicata
06-19-06, 01:30 pm
We got invited over to my parents' next weekend for BBQ babyback ribs. I used to love ribs. Any good rib substitutes out there?

TheQueen
06-19-06, 03:57 pm
Mmm all these recipes are making me real hungry! I have a lot of favorites for the grill! One of the best is Portabello Mushroom Burgers. My dad owns a restaurant and he orders me these big, beautiful portabellos. Grill 'em, marinate 'em, stick 'em on a bun with some fresh veggies and whatnot, and it's delicious! Even non-veg's love them!

I also like a plain veggie stirfry. Last night, for Father's Day, we had a bunch of people over, and we took all types of squash, bell peppers, carrots, tomatoes, and some others, marinated them in plain vinagarette, and grilled them. It was a hit! I also grill any veggies that are in the fridge, without any marination (is that even a word?), and stick them on a heap of rice. It's great!

PiggieMamaKelly
06-19-06, 04:01 pm
Barbequed veggies are the best! You haven't lived until you've had barbequed broccoli. Rolled in some olive oil with steak seasoning, it get's all crispy... it's a real departure from plain old steamed broccoli.

Percy's Mom
06-19-06, 04:08 pm
That DOES sound good PMK! I hadn't thought about doing brocolli. You put it right on the grill, or do you use a basket for it?

Res Judicata
06-19-06, 04:09 pm
The mushrooms and broccolli sound so good. I won't be missing the ribs with things like that to eat. :)

Percy's Mom
06-19-06, 04:10 pm
And check the ingredients on your favorite BBQ sauce. If there isn't anything meat based in there, you can always brush some of that on, or use it as a dip as well.

PiggieMamaKelly
06-19-06, 04:16 pm
I have one of those little skillets that is made for BBQ, it has holes all in it. When the weather is not nice, oven roasted broccoli is pretty similar. I have noticed that almost any veggie tastes so different when you roast it at high temp in the oven (or BBQ). It's nice to have a change from time to time. Oh, oven roasted asparagus is great too.

jdomans
06-19-06, 04:18 pm
Living in an apartment we can't have open flame up here on the third floor. For my birthday we went and got the George Foreman outdoor electric grill. We love it and the first night we had all the veggies out on it. I am two counties away from the region where the Vidalia onions are grown. they are dynamic on the grill. Thick slices. Yummy.

Oh bocca burgers are good for breakfast with pancakes or waffles.

Percy's Mom
06-19-06, 04:44 pm
Oh Judy, I am SO jealous. We get vidalias in Richmond, but they're nowhere as abundant as you can get them, I'm sure.

jdomans
06-19-06, 07:40 pm
We are about 2 hours from Vidalia, Ga. Actually there are 3 counties (I think) that are designated for growing Vidalias. It is said that it is the soil that makes the onion what it is.

Percy's Mom
06-19-06, 09:05 pm
Kind of like the tomatoes in Hanover Co. Virginia. Although Hanover tomatoes aren't near as well known.