Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n Can someone recommend a cookbook or website?

TxCavyLover

Cavy Slave
I'm glad I found this forum. I've been considering becoming vegetarian for awhile now, but I haven't been able to find a cookbook or web site that has food that I like. I was hoping someone here could recommend something. I don't like any of the typical vegetarian food...I despise tofu, soy, faux meats, etc. They just taste nasty to me. Every Boca Burger or other fake meat just makes me feel sick. If I am going to avoid meat, I would rather just completely avoid it. I'm not looking for recipes with replacement meat. I plan on getting protein from eggs, milk, and cheese, so I don't feel like I need these foods, do I? Problem is, I can only find books that have vegan type recipes without dairy in them. They all use soy products and the like.

I'm praying someone has some ideas. I'm not the best cook, so I'm not looking for extravagant meals. Just basic family style, quick meals. And I'm from Texas, so of course I like Tex-Mex and Mexican food. :cheerful:

I'm so glad you guys have this place to talk. :) I hope I'll be able to join you in calling myself a vegetarian soon. :) Thanks so much for any advice you can give me! :)

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Why not just take those books and when they use soy milk just use normal milk?

It's what I do with the soy meats (I personally like them and they help me keep my iron levels nice and high. Then again I feel ill after more then one egg, so to each their own, eh? ) Milk and soy milk are pretty interchangable.

I can't help you much with the Tex-Mex or Mexican food though. Being a Canadian who can't eat spicy foods does not lend one to such knowledge.

Maybe use beans in place of meat? Mmmm, beans.

TxCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Thanks, Sabriel. Yes, I know that I could use regular milk instead of soy. Do you know what I could use instead of other soy items (maybe that's not what their called...lol) or instead of tofu or that vegetable protein stuff? Is tofu basically supposed to be like eggs? I'm confused...lol. I guess it's probably easier to just get a regular cookbook and simply take out the meat? lol Duh! Never thought of that. Still open to other suggestions tho...

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Tofu is like a brick of soy. You can scramble it like eggs, or you can do like I do and throw it in the freezer (drain it, then wrap in foil) for a more tough texture. I like my tofu super firm.

If you aren't sure how tofu is supposed to be served just go to a Japanese place and order some Tofu teriyaki with soba noodles. Yum yum!

Susan9608

Cavy Slave
Hello fellow Texan. :) Check out the thread called "This is so hard" here in the Vegetarian section. I listed 3 of my favorite cookbooks with my favorite recipes in them, along with what's good about the cookbooks.

I'm like you - I don't like meat analogs or tofu. These cookbooks don't have bunches and bunches of that stuff, and they have recipes with dairy products. I substitute with soy, but you can leave as is.

Djakarta

Cavy Slave
Try The Moosewood Cookbook or The Enchanted Broccoli Forrest by Mollie Katzen. The Moosewood cookbook is my favorite- the lasagne recipe is especially yummy! Both use dairy products. Also- with tofu, there are several types. I prefer the firm style. Tofu is like a sponge, it will pick up flavors of the food it is prepared with. I like stir frying it with veggies and Mr Yoshida's Sauce.

TxCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much, guys! Looks like I have several different books to check out. I'm excited!

As for tofu...I've tried it at 2 different restaurants and couldn't stand it. One was I think a Thai buffet. Don't remember the name. They had it cooked several different ways. I tried...I promise I tried...but just couldn't eat it.

I didn't know that tofu was soy...lol. Learn something new everyday!

I promise I'm not stupid...just clueless when it comes to vegetarian cuisine. :)

Thanks again!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
The Moosewood Cookbook is fabulous! I have that one and have made several very yummy dishes. I also like Deborah Madison's cookbooks. I'm not a vegetarian, but we have at least 2 or 3 veggie meals a week.

As far as Tex-Mex veggie food, Portabello Fajitas are one of my absolute favorites.

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
I have no clue what Thai food tastes like. It smells spicy and my stomach and spicy food just don't get along so I avoid it. So I'm not all the sure how they cook it.

I'm guessing it's the same as Japanese tofu. I guess since I ate tofu before I went veg I was more used to it when I made the switch.

TxCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much for all of your help! :)

Texas Rustlers

Cavy Slave
My favourite cookbooks are the Linda McCartney ones, however, if you are not looking for meat style dishes these probably wont work. One of the books is from around the world and contains texmex dishes (I too live in Texas but originate from England)

I must admit that I have been a veggie for 23 years now and vegan for part of that, can't stand the smell of real meat cooking, would starve to death rather than eat it but I do still like meat pie, lasagne, sloppy joes and chili all made with the fake ground.

Some of the Boca products are quite awful and the only way I eat tofu is hard and firm

Indian dishes are always great for vegetarians but often complicated to prepare; Betty Croker has an Indian Home Cooking book out which helps us Westerner's get to grips with the dishes, Malai Kofta is delicious

TxCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Thanks so much for all your help guys! I'm going to the library today, and I'm going to see if they have any of the books you guys have recommended. I want to check them out, and if I like them, I'm going to buy them.

So far, so good...I'm on day 5 of vegetarian eating. It feels good! :) The real test comes this afternoon when I go eat at Cracker Barrel for lunch. I've never been there, so hopefully I won't be tempted. But after seeing the "Meet Your Meat" video, I think it will be quite awhile before I could eat meat even if I wanted it. Those images just won't leave my head. :(

Thanks again!!! :)

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Another book that has been out for many years is "Laura's Kitchen".

suzilovespiggie

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Percy's Mom said:
Also check out this thread, "Vegetarian Recipes" https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5788
There is a post listing a LOT of veggie friendly recipe sites among the posts about favorite forum member recipes.

I spent most of yesterday looking up these websites. Fabulous!
Does Texas have the chain "La Salsa" restaruants? If they do they make wonderful vegetarian tacos. Plus you can go to the salsa bar and add more. I like the tomato salsa and my daughter likes the carrot salsa that has a real "kick" to it.:sick: (I like mine mild) They use corn tortillas, (not fried) black beans, tons of veggies and a special sauce. I am trying to duplicate it home.
Good luck to you.

TxCavyLover

Cavy Slave
Suzi, those tacos sound TO DIE FOR! :) I don't think they have those restaurants here though. Let me know if you are able to duplicate it at home. I really probably be eating a lot of black beans and pinto beans...my faves. Black bean tacos sounds delish! :)

Thanks so much for all your help!

C&K

Cavy Slave
I am finding this website very interesting, I am in the recipie section right now, and think I am gong to try adding a few of these next week to the meal rotation.

(broken link removed)

I was vegitarian, at times vegan for several years as a teen / young adult. Unfortunately, without supportive parents who where on a "meat, peas and potatoe" diet, I did not fair very well just stubbornly refusing to eat the meat portion and made myself pretty sick.

I think I am willing to give it another go, however it won't be easy with the kids and carnivorous husband in tow! Definately need to construct my battle plan!

I find in Canada, a lot of the Alternate products are just not available, or too expensive. Cooking from scratch really helps the budget, but if I can't cook beans and Tofu in a manner that everyone finds acceptable, this whole thing is doomed!

fairysari

Cavy Slave
C&K, if it helps, I just saw a 'soy food machine' at Eastgate Square, I think it was in the appliance section of the Bay, it was on sale, but I can't remember how much exactly. I think you just need soy beans and it will make soy milk and maybe tofu. Maybe you could even make your own tempeh... mmmm.... Anyway, it might help with the cooking from scratch if you could make your own soy milk and tofu.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.