Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Other The only thing about glass gerbils homes..

Cavie Cove

Cavy Slave
Is that they can smash:guilty: I have a really good fish tank that I use for my gerbils that is 2 foot high by 2 foot long and 1 foot wide. I have gone and put a nice "dent" in the side of it by somehow managing to smash another glass tank on it:eek:
So now Im worried my boys are going to hurt them selves onit so they are in the digging tank untill I can get a new tank for them.
I wouldnt be so anoied(sp?) if it was one of my other tanks as they are really easy to get but I have never seen a 2 foot high tank for sale anywere, I got this one second hand from an advert for £30 with fish tank stuff init. I think it would be at least £50 to get a new one that size if I could find one that size.
Im just so anoied at myself!

bunnyluv17

Cavy Slave
Before going out to buy a new one, I would check out thrift stores, yard sales, and classified ads. You never know what you might find... Do you have a freecycle group in your area? You could post a want for a large tank.

aqh88

Cavy Slave
I've never heard of a 2' high by 2' long tank. Are you sure it's not custom made? Alot of people make their own fish tanks. It's not real hard and especially if you don't need it to hold water. There are places that custom cut windows and other glass items that can make the panes for you. Then you just get a tube of aquarium silicone and stick them together. Of course if you need it to hold water you have to check glass thickness and make the seals perfect but for keeping other critters it doesn't have to be so exact. Several of the top aquarium making companies will even sell you the rim that goes on the top of your tank to protect the top edge. Just have to make sure you request they polish the edges or the glass stays sharp. If you want to make it even cheaper you can get acrylic but it has to be melted together with acrylic specific glues and it scratches easily. Acrylic is alot easier to find though and could actually be cut yourself. I made all my gerbil and hamster cages out of acrylic(plexiglass) for about $10 for a 3'x1'x1.5' high cage.

Cavie Cove

Cavy Slave
No the lady got it from a local fish shop. But she said it was really old.
At the moment Im on the look out for a second hand one I do have a spare glass tank but its smaller than what I would like. But theres normally some in the local paper so Ill just keep an eye out I think.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.