Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi

emilyjane

Cavy Slave
I've been checking this website since before I got my guinea pig but I decided to register today to get as much informatio as possible about a c&c cage. I've had Feyaro since January and he has outgrown his cage-I am planning on building a new one as soon as I get the materials together. He had his first vet visit 2 weeks ago and is in good health. He has mites but it's getting treated-darn summer weather.

CavyCrazee
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

JennG

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum. I'm glad to see that you're going to build your piggie a bigger cage. Are you going to adopt a buddy? Piggies need a friend because they are herd animals. You can get different ideas for cages in the gallery. Have fun.

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum.

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
Welcome to Cavy Cages!

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum.

CavyCrazee

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
Welcome to the forum Emily!

As suggested before, pigs need friends of their own kind. If you need help locating a rescue or shelter near you we will be more than happy to help.

Have you any pigtures of Feyaro? We'd love to see some.

Glad to hear you are building a C&C. Feyaro will be one very happy piggy when he gets his mansion!

Laura ~ CCC

emilyjane

Cavy Slave
Aside from the link...I took Feyaro to the vet after he'd been scratching for 2 weeks. The vet only found 1 mite in the scraping [which of course means there were more]. It was caught early enough that a stinky bath once a week can treat it. He's not losing any fur or getting any skin problems or any of the other bad stuff, thankfully

emilyjane

Cavy Slave
I posted some pictures of Feyaro but they are from a few months ago [I'm bad about developing film]. His cage wasn't bad when he was smaller but upgrading it is my first priority when I move in 6 weeks. When I got him I wasn't sure how important another guinea pig was-he was a shy little guy that had gotten picked on at the pet store. There weren't any rescues nearby so he did come from petsmart. Since I'm moving to Ohio, I'm going to get my 2nd pig from a rescue since I know of at least 2 within a hundred miles of where I'm living. His vet told me that he doesn't need a friend but I've heard so much to the contrary that I'm probably going to do it anyway.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
EmilyJane - Welcome to the forums.

Perhaps you didn't realize but the photo gallery is reserved for pictures of C&C cages and accesories only.

We do not allow pictuures of just Guinea Pigs in the gallery at this time. We also do not allow pictuires of inadequate petstore bought cages.

As cute as your GPs are I had to delete the photos.

Please do not post any more photos of your pets in the gallery. You are welcome to post pictures directly onto a thread though.

You are welcome to post good pictures of your C&C cage in the gallery if you wish. If your pigs happen to be in the picture all the better but the picture must clearly show the cage or unique accessory as well.

cavy-cool-crazy

Cavy Slave
emilyjane said:
Aside from the link...I took Feyaro to the vet after he'd been scratching for 2 weeks. The vet only found 1 mite in the scraping [which of course means there were more]. It was caught early enough that a stinky bath once a week can treat it. He's not losing any fur or getting any skin problems or any of the other bad stuff, thankfully

You should have been given a course of Ivermectin. Bathing will not rid mites! Not even the insecticidal baths (perhaps the "stinky bath" you describe?) - these are just stuffed with chemicals which do not solve the issue. Baths should be given only every 3 months maximum as it is since it does dry out their skin and coat.

Not all vets are very good with piggies and I think if your vet advised this he may not be one of the best guinea pig vets.

As far as the skin scraping goes, just because one mite was found doesn't mean the mites are barely there. It's one method in particular which is often inconclusive.

emilyjane

Cavy Slave
I'm taking him back to the vet in a month...I'll ask her about that treatment

emilyjane

Cavy Slave
VoodooJoint said:
EmilyJane - Welcome to the forums.

Perhaps you didn't realize but the photo gallery is reserved for pictures of C&C cages and accesories only.

We do not allow pictuures of just Guinea Pigs in the gallery at this time. We also do not allow pictuires of inadequate petstore bought cages.

As cute as your GPs are I had to delete the photos.

Please do not post any more photos of your pets in the gallery. You are welcome to post pictures directly onto a thread though.

You are welcome to post good pictures of your C&C cage in the gallery if you wish. If your pigs happen to be in the picture all the better but the picture must clearly show the cage or unique accessory as well.

I'm trying to post a picture of the cage so I can figure out how to modify it. I can't really build a c & c cage if I don't know what's wrong with the one I have.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
emilyjane said:
I'm trying to post a picture of the cage so I can figure out how to modify it. I can't really build a c & c cage if I don't know what's wrong with the one I have.
Then post the picture in the cage forum. Start a new thread. Pictures of awful pet store cages are not allowed in the gallery.

To get some ideas on why your cage is inappropriate read the home page here https://www.guineapigcages.com/index.htm

To get some ideas for a cage to build look at the Gallery, which only contains pictures of appropriate cages.

The cage you have can't really be modified.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I'm taking him back to the vet in a month...I'll ask her about that treatment

You need to know that mites are very painful. Left untreated over time, they can kill a guinea pig. Not from the bites, from the pain of the inflammation from the bites. If I were you, I would do two things. First, I would -not- return to that vet. Second, I would contact feed and pet stores (not chains) in your area to find Ivermectin and treat your guinea pig yourself. Please read about treating with Ivermectin. They only need a very small amount, once a week for three weeks. Or, find a good vet NOW and take your pig in to get treated.

See: https://www.guinealynx.info/ivermectin_treatment.html

Thanks

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
What hasn't been helpful? I've read the posts to this thread, and so far all I've seen is people giving you correct information, advising you of what is allowed to be posted where, letting you know where you can find pictures of good cages to give you ideas for building, and trying to rid your guinea pig of pain and itching by directing you to a source of instructions to treat for mites inexpensively without paying a ton of vet bills.

I'm sorry if you don't like the rules on what can be posted in the gallery, and apparently, it upsets you that your vet doesn't know what he's talking about in regards to guinea pigs, but the information given to you so far has been both constructive and helpful.

CavyCrazee

fourbwabbys

Cavy Slave
You can't cancell you're own account, only the mods or admin can ban you.

I think the help given is great, just calmly read through everything said and you will see how people are here to help. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.